GST (Goods & Services Tax) Related Discussions

@Sarkar bro simple example:
In a house A is earning 20000 Rs, B is earning 40000 Rs while C is jobless. GST says one India one tax like that if apply means A, B and C will get 20000 Rs each. Why a jobless C should avail equal benefits as others like B and A. What will A and B will do if they have their own family? Will they agree to divide income equally? Will you share your money with others....???

See I am using A, B and C instead of states. A,B and C's family represent each states problems. I don't want to create any partiality but I am just saying the fact.

Well bcoz of higher income of A and B they are already paying Income Tax as Direct Tax to Govt where as C does not need to pay Income tax.

Now regarding Indirect tax, all A, B and C are using Goods and services equally so all these Goods and services should be taxed equally as well. So as a Indirect Tax GST should also be same for all

First there should always be difference in opinion as we live in democracy and not in dictatorship. There is nothing like anti Indian here for expressing views.

Now coming to the point GST on foodgrains, flours, cereals, pulses, atta, maida & besan, fresh milk, fresh vegetables and fruits, puffed rice, common salt, animal feed, organic manure and fire wood put under the zero per cent tax slab. If I am not wrong then these are the thing people use daily.

Hotels have two different GST slab unlike one as you stated. One is 18% and one is 12%. So referring all hotels as 18% is wrong.
Ref GST effect: How GST will impact your restaurant bill starting tomorrow

@Sarkar bro, dont take this discussion as serious, I am just talking this like friendly discussion to post the effects of GST on common man.

Now coming to the point, Are you using fire wood to cook food...??? Most of people of India are using Gas stove now. Whats the use of putting 5% tax on LPG and making it costlier by 32 Rs. It is common thing and why it needs a tax. If I am not wrong same central govt promoted use of gas stoves long back 3-5 years, now they are taxing LPG and no tax for fire wood. Its like moving all people to advanced technology and looting them for using it. A good corporate strategy, now government also following this.

P.S.: I am not not opposing BJP govt. They have bought some good things also like demonetisation, digitalisation and linking of Aadhar cards to avoid scams etc., But I am strongly opposing this GST slab rates if tax

Last edited:
@Sarkar bro, dont take this discussion as serious, I am just talking this like friendly discussion to post the effects of GST on common man.

Now coming to the point, Are you using fire wood to cook food...??? Most of people of India are using Gas stove now. Whats the use of putting 5% tax on LPG and making it costlier by 32 Rs. It is common thing and why it needs a tax. If I am not wrong same central govt promoted use of gas stoves long back 3-5 years, now they are taxing LPG and no tax for fire wood. Its like moving all people to advanced technology and looting them for using it. A good corporate strategy, now government also following this.

P.S.: I am not not opposing BJP govt. They have bought some good things also like demonetisation, digitalisation and linking of Aadhar cards to avoid scams etc., But I am strongly opposing this GST slab rates if tax

Do you even know that State Governments (including TN Govt) used to charge VAT on LPG ranging from 2-12.5%. Many state governments removed this VAT during very high inflation years few years back. Today, we have very low inflation ~2% only.
Anyways, regarding hotels. Most food items have gone cheaper compared to last 3-4 years. With GST, they have become cheaper again with many common items taxed before are now at zero or 5% slab. Hotels are earning much more than 20-25% over & above the previous years. Just think, the dal which costed ₹150, 2 yrs back is now around half of it. Instead of absorbing GST they decided to pass it on to consumers.
They had to pay VAT before also (in most states, I don't know about TN), but many were cheating, so now they are crying.

Anyways, it's no use explaining when someone is not ready to listen. There are numerous other reasons by which I can try to justify it, but it will be of no use here. It's not 100% perfect, but that has never been the case in India. If you have studied well, you will know how many indirect tax changes we have done till now. It will always improve with time.

This is my final post on this thread. Bye

Last edited:

Me too doing same bro. ;)

BTW you are absolutely right bro. I don't use firewood for cooking. But there are millions of Indians who belongs to BPL use it along with kerosene for the same purpose. And almost all shops in our village use it as fuel instead of commercial 19 kg LPG cylinder, I am sure this is the same situation in all village throughout India. So if Govt would put firewood in higher GST slab then those people specially Opposition and congress who are calling this as not a beneficial move by putting firewood in Zero slab would slam govt for taxing Aam admi fuel firewood. So govt did not give them a chance to open their mouth:haha

Finally someone talking sense - "This is a very, very imperfect GST, says Chidambaram".
  • The Congress will press for a reduction in tax rates and demand a cap of 18 per cent
  • It is a mockery of the GST. When we have rates such as 0.25, 3, 5, 12, 18, 28 and 40, and possibly more: Chidambaram
The Modi government's Goods and Services Tax (GST) law is not the legislation that had been envisaged by the Congress, senior Congress leader P. Chidambaram said here on Thursday, stressing that it cannot be labelled ‘one nation, one tax’, as it has seven or more tax rates.

The Congress, he said, will demand a reduction in tax rates and press for a cap of 18%, and the inclusion of petroleum products, electricity and real estate in the new tax regime, the former Finance Minister said.

Authorities and businesses were “unprepared or under-prepared” for the roll-out of GST, he said, adding that its launch should have been deferred by two months and the GSTN (Goods and Services Tax Network) should have been put through a trial run for about two months, and the actual roll out should have been September 1.

“This is a very, very imperfect law. This is not the GST that we [the UPA] had envisaged...What has been implemented is a GST with seven, or possibly more, rates. It is a mockery of GST,” Mr. Chidambaram said, adding, “When we have [percentage] rates like 0.25, 3, 5, 12, 18, 28 and 40, and possibly more, because of the discretion vested with State governments, how can we call this a 'one nation, one tax regime’?”

--
More: GST regime not as envisaged by Congress, says P. Chidambaram

Congress are acting like a saint but no one political party in India is saint

We can able to choose only devil which is lesser or higher

Congress are acting like a saint but no one political party in India is saint

We can able to choose only devil which is lesser or higher

But i think Congress has more people with finance & taxation knowledge. Mostly by 2019 we might have a single GST and an higher threshold like those who already successfully have the GST.

But i think Congress has more people with finance & taxation knowledge.

What is the use they always thinking their mind in wrong way by using their knowledge

Btwn I don't think govt change may happen though I'm not a BJP supporter but things are like that only

But i think Congress has more people with finance & taxation knowledge. Mostly by 2019 we might have a single GST and an higher threshold like those who already successfully have the GST.
What's the use of this knowledge if states are not agree with you. States don't want single gst they also don't want alcohol & petrolium products under gst so they block Congress ver of Gst. On a federal system you cannot go alone

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock