Food Talks - A thread dedicated to all Foodies out there

Bro. It's a struggle to get Dosa, or say, Chola Bhatura under ₹100 nowadays. Aren't these supposed to be the common people's food? How come they are charging ₹100+? Most of the restaurants on Swiggy and Zomato are charging ₹120-150 for a simple Masala Dosa and Chola Bhatura. With taxes and delivery charges it becomes ₹200. I might as well order Biryani or a main course dish with 4 rotis/rice at that point.
10 years ago. Dosa was ₹20 rupees. Before that plain dosa was ₹10 and masala was ₹15. I get inflation. But 10X the amount is just greed. Anything above ₹50 is wrong. I recently had masala dosa at a small time hotel. Even there it cost me only ₹120. Good Chole Bhature was always around ₹40 - ₹50. So I don't think ₹100 is too much as cheaper than that mixed other matar with chole. Still if it was around ₹50. It would've been more affordable. Unless I get some cashback or gift coupon I wouldn't order anything fr Swiggy and Zomato. They charge ₹60 for a delivery from a five minutes away restaurant while charging ₹120 for a ₹60 roll. 😂

Let's not even start with long distance delivery, rush hour delivery and rain delivery where delivery charges are more than the actual food. At this rate it would be cheaper ordering food via Rapido and Ola bikers. 🤪

Actually @iDJ bro, your doubt is in most people's mind. Inflation is only one part of the equation. Others being staff salary, real estate value and / or rentals which flies exponentially. The last, but not the least reason being, due to these steep price hikes, number of visits by even the regular customers also reduced a lot. Say for example, we visit restaurants five to six times a month when Dosa was Rs15. But due to the above said reasons, Dosa has to be sold at Rs50, provided the same amount of sales happens every month. But sadly after these steep hikes, we may reduce our visits to say three times a month only. So to compensate that, they are selling for Rs150.

The thing to note here is, there is one set of population who don't care about price and buy regularly (not necessarily rich people - In fact real rich people knows very well about inflation and price hikes and take sensible decisions). There is another set of people called floating population (like me Business people on monthly trips, Single IT workers), who have no other go. These restaurant people make a killing with these people.

The only way to escape from these restaurants' ridiculous price hikes is, even further reducing our visits to them to say once a month or even thrice a year.

Forget restaurant price hikes, even daily snacks for school going kids inflation is unbearable. So I have asked my wife to make home made snacks like (don't know English names) cheedai, murukku, Potato Chips, Banana or Onion bajji, etc and I will pay her Rs 100 for that particular day (which she can use to buy anything as per her wish - of course after getting my permission ;)). Financially speaking, the cost of making the home made snacks + Rs100 is equal to buying snacks from outside. But the main difference here is good quality healthy food to kids, money saved for me in buying her cosmetics, Happy wife after getting lots of praise from friends & family.

A problem will always have one opportunity hidden within, we just need to have the patience to find that. That's all bros.

Last edited:
@kanagadeepan bro. One of my family member runs a successful tiffin services. They even started a small hotel and a fast food truck from this. We offer complimentary dessert and salad too for just ₹30 on store visit and ₹50 for delivery. We don't even use cheap ingredients. If restaurants want they can reduce price and attract large customer base while offering good food. Restaurants should know how to scale. We succeeded for college and hostel kids as they didn't like hostel food. So they came here. Anything above ₹30 wouldn't have helped us here. Nowadays most resturant relies on Swiggy and Zomato for customers. Hence the unrealistic pricing. If you visit famous places. You will see the prices are realistic and still affordable.

Yeah... I avoid buying from Zomato and Swiggy, especially now, when they are desperately trying to be profitable. And yes, There are still so many people with great heart and sell food for reasonable prices. Only show-off people (not necessarily Rich), who wants great ambience, "Experience" avoid them. Sadly most Modern restaurants make use of such show-off people, no other go people and apathy customers and making a killing. Even though I can, I mostly avoid big restaurants and prefer street food, wherever I go.

Panduranga Vittala Prasad.

sCjBaiA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock