BSNL to Offer Minimum Broadband Speed of 2 Mbps from Oct 1

if this is speed with some 10-12 GB FUP then no use for me :dodgy as already having 4 mbps plan witth some FUP i will be happy if this is speed after post FUP :shy

Rushil.D said:
if this is speed with some 10-12 GB FUP then no use for me :dodgy as already having 4 mbps plan witth some FUP i will be happy if this is speed after post FUP :shy

+1 bro,if they give 25/30 gb means i will reactive my bsnl bb:shy

It seems like a cheap promotional gimmick to get some news mention by BSNL and minister if it's indeed only for the first 1 gb as shown in the link posted by @digitalword.

BSNL announces 2Mbps broadband speed from Oct 1
PTI
Monday, September 7, 2015 | 18:27 IST

BSNL announces 2Mbps broadband speed from Oct 1
BSNL, the state-run telecom firm, is all set to take on competition, by offering a minimum broadband speed of 2 mega bit per second (Mbps) from October 1 onwards, at no extra cost.

The company currently offers a minimum speed of 512 Kbps and the move is part of its efforts for revival.

BSNL has been loosing in mobile as well as landline services to private operators and the move is seen as its efforts to lure the customers back. The company lost about 1.78 crore wireless and over 20 lakh wireline subscribers between March 2014 and March 2015.

The losses for the firm stood at Rs 7,600 crore.

The BSNL's announcement of offering a higher broadband speed at no extra cost is likely to be followed by private players also pitching in with similar offers, given the hyper competition in the sector.

Sectoral regulator Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) is also expected to soon redefine the definition of broadband speed, which is currently 512 kbps. Launching the scheme here, Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said that BSNL should have frequent interface with customers and the efforts taken today by increasing the internet definition should help in digital India initiative, which is more for poor.

"We have increased the internet speed four times ...we have ensured 2 Mbps is available at last mile, which is the customer premises starting October 1," BSNL CMD Anupam Shrivastava said. Srivastava added that BSNL is on a revival path and the company has added about 15 lakh mobile customers in last few months as against 7-8 lakh subscribers per month.

Still Confusion is that is this speed after post FUP :huh :-/

They are mentioning minimum speed of 2 Mbps as part of Digital India initiative and for poor.

Actually, this is for the rural/semi-rural people. Those folks have been using pathetic slow speeds when the entire urban population is enjoying fast speed broadband. However, with the speed increase, BSNL should also increase pre FUP data limits. Actually, this may backfire, because when using a high speed connection, you can do lots of parallel browsing, watch videos, etc. without buffering, so the consumption increases. Ideally, BSNL should increase rural internet speeds to 2 mbps (as already done today) and also start with a minimum pre FUP quota of 2 GB for the lowest price plan and make it available for Rs. 250 to 300 per month. And then they can add paid voice addons. Ofcourse, post FUP, speeds will be 512kbps. This is ok as this drives demand and people use Smartbytes or other such means to restore speeds. Rural population is yet to get "HOOKED" on to the net, if you understand what I mean.

techmania said:
Actually, this is for the rural/semi-rural people. Those folks have been using pathetic slow speeds when the entire urban population is enjoying fast speed broadband. However, with the speed increase, BSNL should also increase pre FUP data limits. Actually, this may backfire, because when using a high speed connection, you can do lots of parallel browsing, watch videos, etc. without buffering, so the consumption increases. Ideally, BSNL should increase rural internet speeds to 2 mbps (as already done today) and also start with a minimum pre FUP quota of 2 GB for the lowest price plan and make it available for Rs. 250 to 300 per month. And then they can add paid voice addons. Ofcourse, post FUP, speeds will be 512kbps. This is ok as this drives demand and people use Smartbytes or other such means to restore speeds. Rural population is yet to get "HOOKED" on to the net, if you understand what I mean.

:no:no:no

2GB @ Rs 300 is not enough when RJIO is planning to give you unlimited including voicecall @ Rs 500 :k

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock