Good News Bought Nothing Phone 2a

Sparker0i

Contributor
Reaction score
I used to own a OnePlus 7T, which I had ordered the day that phone launched. I used that for a little over 2 years, then bought myself iPhone 13 Pro Max and handed over this phone to my mom.

This was when I bought the phone:
Ah. Forgot about this.

It's been around 2 weeks now.

Phone is super smooth
Performance is awesome
Display is awesome, not just because of the 90Hz, but also HDR10 too.
Camera is great. Same standards as Op7 Pro. But just that White balance is mostly wrong. If you shoot in the Pro mode though, this is no issue.

Also nightscape mode is amazing

Battery backup is very good, only if you disable dual 4g. If you have dual 4g turned on, battery life is mediocre.

Heating issues are none. Unless you are intensely gaming for over 3-4 hours.

If you want something under 40k, this is it. Go for it...

It worked okayish since then. Performance was a little reduced, battery life was starting to take a nosedive, and all the hardware buttons were either on life support, or were dead.

So I bought a Nothing Phone 2a for my mom. After looking at the reviews, I was pretty excited to get this as a replacement phone for mom, but as it turns out, I now have mixed feelings about this.

Let’s start with camera, the first disappointment:

88a81c17-2d8c-49a8-b14b-dc5f6eebe6a0.jpg

Both photos have way too much brightness. Over sharpening also seems to be happening with this phone photos. Compare this to my iPhone:

Next big disappointment is the materials of the phone. While the sides are grippy enough, the back of the phone is unfortunately glass. The phone has already slipped out of my hands thrice already today.

Another disappointment is the brightness slider. It is barely visible, if at all. I have to expand the quick settings tiles, and then there will be a very thin line below the Network/Bluetooth big toggles which you may mistaken it for a divider between those 2 big tiles and the rest of the options. I’ll need to train my mom on that, but today I’m going back to Bangalore so I’m not sure how she’s gonna handle that for another 3 weeks.

Another worry is the mediatek processor. The last time I used a mediatek phone, I got burned out with its performance degradation within a few months of purchase (2015). I’m hoping I get proven wrong this time, but my previous experience tells me to be wary of this.

With that being said I’m happy with the rest of the phone. Brightness can go really high, at least 3x more than OnePlus and can be slightly more brighter than my iPhone.

Phone UI also feels very close to stock android, except for the network and Bluetooth quick setting toggle. Reminds me of the stock Android feels we used to get with OxygenOS that we used to enjoy with OnePlus 3, not like the current ColorOS bullsh*t we get.
IMG-4074.jpg
IMG-4080.jpg

I also liked these Lock Screen widgets, which I have customized to the Quick Settings important tiles. I wish there was a brightness QS tile here..

As a short summary, if you’ve liked the OxygenOS of the past, and are disappointed with today’s ColorOS bullsh*t on OnePlus phones, Nothing OS and it’s phones are for you… Go for it blindly, unless a few years down the line it also ends up becoming another OnePlus.

Last edited:
Congratulations, But why you bought 2a instead of Phone 2 ? 2a camera is not good . Rest all are good 👍 You'll like the UI & Software updates.

But why you bought 2a instead of Phone 2
Eventually I realised I’m buying it for mom. 38k vs 23k price difference was stark for someone who doesn’t really care way too much for the internals.
2a camera is not good
Part of this may be due to having a Mediatek processor. Also the 2a has a Samsung sensor, compared to the Sony sensor on 2… Nevertheless a very poor combination to have

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock