Discussion Beware of using Google Pay For Money Transfers

• Thread starter Siva
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 46
  • Views: Views 28,107
What the..? I came across this thread by chance only for me to check my own SBI account as I tried to place order on Zomato via Google Pay.. it was under processing for quite some time so I gave up and order didn't get placed. Did not receive any debit message from SBI until I saw this thread and only to find my account debited. Hell!

Going to raise this issue with SBI, NPCI and Google Pay now 😥

I have 5k stuck the same way, only it was bhimupi. I have raised a dispute lets see if it comes back in 7 days. Gladly it was transfer from my own account to my own another account. So i have both statements to prove myself. But this is risky specially for someone who is low on cash and in an emergency. Our own money is frozen and becomes useless for whatever amount of time.

UPDATE:

212.jpg

So the transaction succeeded after some time and 5k was credit to my account and instantly debited as u see above.
The debit entry says UPI/REV (REV means reversal) if the money was reversed it should automatically come back to my host account.
But it didn't, even after 7 days. I had written emails to support.upi[at]sbi.co.in which is the official support id of bhim upi app. But no response.
I know this would take more than an email. I was fortunate enough that both my accounts were local and I could go to the branch and piss the branch manager. That's exactly what I did. I wrote an account of the event and took stamp, signatures of branch managers of both banks.
I was shocked to know, SBI's (to which money was transferred) Branch Manager didn't know what BHIM UPI was :biggrin:
I had to show him the app screen where u enter ur 6 digit pin which fortunately has the SBI logo to convince him to know that BHIM UPI Sbi Pay belongs to SBI :blush2:He then assured me that he will contact with app support and let me know after 3 days. After 3 days I went to SBI again, he was sorry and said, "Woh log phone nahi uthate, email ko respond bhi nahi karte" (they don't answer calls/emails). He asked me to never use upi and stick to IMPS, RTGS & NEFT.

And now after 13 days on 5th february 2019 I got the money back in my SBI.

311.jpg

This tells us a lot about this app and the system. Its not at all safe if you're low on cash. 5k is a small amount, but not for everyone.
It became absolutely useless for 14 days, when it was frozen as the transaction didn't go through. The so-called instant digital payments must also have maximum 2 day's reversal system.

For me, I was using Gpay from it's conception (Tez) regularly much like a game every week (for my 3 Gpay accounts). Also used this or Phonepe to transfer money from my non-salary account to avoid IMPS/NEFT charges (also got rewards as bonus). Stopped using Gpay since approx 8-9 months as not getting rewards that often but using phonepe regularly (even today).
My point is, I used these 2 services at least 1000 number of times and without ANY 'money stuck' issues.

For me, I was using Gpay from it's conception (Tez) regularly much like a game every week (for my 3 Gpay accounts). Also used this or Phonepe to transfer money from my non-salary account to avoid IMPS/NEFT charges (also got rewards as bonus). Stopped using Gpay since approx 8-9 months as not getting rewards that often but using phonepe regularly (even today).
My point is, I used these 2 services at least 1000 number of times and without ANY 'money stuck' issues.

Since last month my all Gpay + SBI txns are failing ..... HDFC works fine :cautious:

Never faced an issue with Paytm UPI, works flawlessly. Have transacted several times everyday and it gets successfully completed within seconds.
Issue may occur when there is unstable internet connection with your device.

No issues here. Today I transacted 3 each in Gpay and phonepe (total approx 90K) from my SBI account.
Though you didn't face any failure till now, I advice you against doing any transaction above 1K on these apps. There is no proper support and banks don't care much about these. We are on our own to resolve issues, if any. And once the money is stuck, it's a long rope to get it back!!

For me True caller app also giving notification about money debited/credited while doing payment via Google pay.What is the reason? I feel it is not a fair thing.

For me True caller app also giving notification about money debited/credited while doing payment via Google pay.What is the reason? I feel it is not a fair thing.
Yeah... I remember I disabled something in settings... It was alarming when I see the pop up from True caller.

Yeah... I remember I disabled something in settings... It was alarming when I see the pop up from True caller.
But while disabling it in settings only the notifications get blocked. Is it stops sharing the bank transaction details with them(true caller). I don't gave true caller any right to use my account details.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock