• Replies: Replies 46
  • Views: Views 28,187

Siva

Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
Guys,

I have been a very frequent user of UPI since it's inception and have been using apps like PhonePe/Google Pay to do most of the money transfers. I went to an extent of scolding ICICI reps for limiting the transaction amount to a lower amount than the thrid party UPI apps like Google Pay than iMobile (Native ICICI app). But a recent incident changed my perception, especially towards Google Pay.

On 07-Jan-2019, I had to pay 2262 rupees to milkman, and as I normally do I used Google Pay. The transaction did not go through and stuck in "Processing". After waiting for 10 minutes, I initiated another transaction for same amount and this also was in "Processing" for 5 minutes and then finally succeeded. At this point, I thought as the 1st transaction did not go through, the money will be refunded back. Google indicates 3-5 business days in the transaction page for the refund. I waited for a week and there was no sign of refund. Then I went into the transaction again and raised a dispute. When I submitted the dispute, Google indicated the dispute is usually settled in 10 days. I waited, and even after waiting for 10 days, I didn't get any update on the refund.

I checked for methods of contacting Google Pay customer care and there is a way to request a call back from the Help menu within the Google Pay app. I used that and instantly received a call from a US number, but no one spoke. I tried this several times, and the same thing happened, instant call back and no one talks on the other side. I kept trying for a couple of days and finally yesterday, I received the call back from an Indian number and this time there was a rep on the other side that I could talk to. I explained him the issue, he listened to me and took the transaction ID and checked from his end. I thought things would be set. He then asked my bank statement and the recipient's bank statement from the transaction date till date showing these transactions. I told him I can give my bank statement, but not the recipients, as he is just a milkman and asked him why do they need this. He said, Google Pay currently does not handle anything from their end, they are just using NPCI's UPI technology as a facilitator to process the money transfers. And they don't even seem to set any time period after which the transaction times out and comes to failed status. They just keep waiting for response from the sender/receiver bank. So, if any transaction is stuck, we will be in a soup and need to struggle to get our money back. This is absolutely ridiculous. I strongly recommend not to use Google Pay for doing any money transfer above 1000 (Basically for any amount you can't wait to get back in case of a failed transaction). If you still use it, use it at your own risk. I'm not sure if other apps like PhonePe are also doing the same thing or they follow a different flow.

Below is the email I received from Google Pay asking the bank statements.

Google-Pay-Issue.png

I have sent them my bank statement and awaiting their response.

Be very very careful with these apps!!

I can't vouch that it can be only Gpay, my friend has gone with similar experience however it was done via SBI and with hell lot of struggles he was able to get through which took him for more than a month. I follow paying amount with cash to people like milkman, paper guy etc.

I can't vouch that it can be only Gpay, my friend has gone with similar experience however it was done via SBI and with hell lot of struggles he was able to get through which took him for more than a month. I follow paying amount with cash to people like milkman, paper guy etc.
SBI is a different case. Their own debit cards fail to complete transaction and charge us for it.

u4psIDR.jpg

I have 5k stuck the same way, only it was bhimupi. I have raised a dispute lets see if it comes back in 7 days. Gladly it was transfer from my own account to my own another account. So i have both statements to prove myself. But this is risky specially for someone who is low on cash and in an emergency. Our own money is frozen and becomes useless for whatever amount of time.

At least you are not getting threatened. These foreign companies treats Indian customers poorly. Look at Uber Eats for example even if they cause you inconvenience. They will call you threatened you and even charge you next time you order. Same is with Uber during the peak hours drivers. They will cancel themselves and ironically charge you for causing inconvenience. I strongly suggest you to contact consumer's forum. Even if they refuse to take your complaint at first. Just keep on insisting. They will call you after few hours. Also share about this on twitter and reddit.

Last edited:
I paid my house rent and faced the same issue. But the status changed to processed after 5 days... So I didn't bother to ask my House owner. I have to call him again to confirm whether he received really...

Even me m facing with the same situation right now... N I have been calling the customer care service again n again but they r just extending the time ,at first they said it will be refunded to my account after 3hrs n the next time I was told that it will take 24 hrs but it has already been 72hrs n I still didn't get the money. . N when I called them again today they hung up the phone......N moreover the customer care people don't know how to speak in english, they asked me to speak in Hindi.. I don't know whether I will get my money or not☹️☹️

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock