Article Vi to shutter down 3G services in Delhi from 15th January: Report

OnlyTech

OnlyTech bot
Reaction score
Vi (formerly Vodafone Idea) is all set to shut down its 3G services in Delhi from 15th January 2021, according to a report. The company has reportedly sent out messages to its customers in Delhi about the...

Read full article: Vi to shutter down 3G services in Delhi from 15th January: Report

This thread is for the general discussion of the article. Please add to the discussion here.

g79Vybl.png

Vi network ko keval 4G mein upgrade kar raha hai!"

Why are they saying complicated things ? This message feels like VoId is shutting down 2G as well. With 8MHz of administratively allocated (non-lib) Band 3 spectrum with them, they have to use that for 2G only. smh...

Vi network ko keval 4G mein upgrade kar raha hai!"

Why are they saying complicated things ? This message feels like VoId is shutting down 2G as well. With 8MHz of administratively allocated (non-lib) Band 3 spectrum with them, they have to use that for 2G only. smh...
In which circle? Wherever it has 8 MHz non liberalised spectrum, it's expiring this year itself and they aren't planning on renewing it. And if they are to use existing liberalised spectrum for 2G then 4G services will suffer. Their plan seems to become a pure play 4G only operator in all circles where their non liberalised spectrum is expiring and to continue 2G only in circles where they have administrative spectrum with validity up to 2026 (example Mumbai and Bihar). The 15th Jan deadline may be the first one since they know that they may have to extend it 3 to 4 times before the actual expiry of the administrative spectrum since subscribers are not very prompt with upgrading.

@Esmail so they are going to kill 2G as well in Delhi and that too before Airtel??? Then it's really a good news.

@Esmail so they are going to kill 2G as well in Delhi and that too before Airtel??? Then it's really a good news.
That's what my analysis indicates, may be wrong since they have a large 2G subscriber base but then again you have to consider that it will need dedicated spectrum for 2G to keep running and will reduce the spectrum available for 4G and also with the zero iuc regime they will have to pay for the termination of incoming calls on 2G network from their pockets since the calling party will no longer pay for it and they can't charge incoming charges to the 2G subscribers. With 4G they can offer unlimited incoming since there is no cost involved with the pure ip framework unlike the 2G mechanism. With circles where they have non liberalised spectrum they might as well continue with 2G since that spectrum isn't usable for any other purpose and they wouldn't pay for getting it liberalised for just 5 yrs.

They always have mentioned up-gradation to 4G only network in Delhi quite a few times since September 2020. I can confirm or deny this after Jan 15. Back in September 2020.

They always have mentioned up-gradation to 4G only network in Delhi quite a few times since September 2020. I can confirm or deny this after Jan 15. Back in September 2020.
Might not be switched off exactly on 15th Jan, the non-liberalised 8 MHz that they have is valid all the way till 5th October this year, so u might see a few extensions in the deadline.

Even then, NO 2G and only 4G (in Delhi at least) after October 5 is a welcome move, imho... Till then, they have to automatically enable VoLte and not force already not so smart CC to enable the same, since the VoLte requests will be so huge at that time...

That's what my analysis indicates, may be wrong since they have a large 2G subscriber base but then again you have to consider that it will need dedicated spectrum for 2G to keep running and will reduce the spectrum available for 4G and also with the zero iuc regime they will have to pay for the termination of incoming calls on 2G network from their pockets since the calling party will no longer pay for it and they can't charge incoming charges to the 2G subscribers. With 4G they can offer unlimited incoming since there is no cost involved with the pure ip framework unlike the 2G mechanism. With circles where they have non liberalised spectrum they might as well continue with 2G since that spectrum isn't usable for any other purpose and they wouldn't pay for getting it liberalised for just 5 yrs.
hey will have to pay for the termination of incoming calls on 2G network ?????? where is payment going... its just account adjustment toward asset utilization, asset include spectrum and depreciation on machineries, which VIL installed decade ago.

and in todays world tower compnies are sepeate and even there are relaxed norm for acive/passive tower sharing, so in all if 2G BTs running,how much is addional cost than pure 4G BTS on that tower.

Secondly delhi, where lot of user still having feature phone, some having dual sim smartphone,where second sim only works on 2g, and thre are many POS terminal on 2G. so i dont find near possibility of 2G shutdown.

Thes sms are onl effort to reduce loads on 2g network, so that 2G tower/BTS count can be minimized and then block of 8/6.2/4.4Mhz can be recuded to bare minimum in all possible site.

Esmail bhai, BTW I have que for you,
4G deployment works on block sixe of 5Mhz, anything below goes to narrow band like 1.4Mhz, So my que is in delhi VIL having 10.6 liberalise spectrum, after allocating 10mhz in band 3, what VIL will do with rest of 2.6
Possibility 1) deploy additional 1.4Mhz, bcause 3mhz not possible, and 1.2Mhz waste?
2) share additional with other telco like airtel to deploy 5Mhz on 4g?

3) Use 2.6Mhz for running 2g,

subsciber accodoation is 2.6mhz will be definately just 25% comapred to 8Mhz running, now till oct2021. Till that time Enjoy 2g or force upgrade to 4g is waht VIL trying to say with sms.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock