Us open 2011 News & updates here

• Thread starter Thread starter Karthik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 36
  • Views Views: Views 6,034
Top American man Fish loses to Tsonga at US Open

5wcxmv.jpg

New York: Mardy Fish found himself dealing with all sorts of problems as he tried to reach the U.S. Open quarterfinals for the second time.

There was the brief flap with his opponent, 11th-seeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, and the chair umpire over some distracting cheering in the stands.

There were the aching right hip and hamstring that left Fish flat on his back, getting massaged by a trainer before the fifth set.

There was the pressure of knowing that he was, for the first time, the highest-ranked American at the country`s Grand Slam tennis tournament.

There was the whipping wind that sent shots this way and that.

And then, of course, there was Tsonga, the big-hitting, athletic Frenchman, who feels more confident than ever — and it shows. The eighth-seeded Fish wasted a lead and lost the fourth-round match at Flushing Meadows 6-4, 6-7 (5), 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 on Monday night, bringing what he saw as a premature end to what he hoped would be a run to a major semifinal.

"This might have been my best chance so far," the 29-year-old Fish said, knowing that he played well all summer on the type of hard courts used at the U.S. Open, including one title, two other appearances in finals and a victory over Rafael Nadal.

"For whatever reason — old age, I guess — my body didn`t check up like I had hoped," said Fish, who limped out of his news conference. "Look, that`s not why I lost. But it would have been nice to be able to run without pain."

Tsonga reached his first U.S. Open quarterfinal, but unlike Fish, he`s already tasted this sort of success. Tsonga made it to the final of the 2008 Australian Open before losing to Novak Djokovic, and got to the Wimbledon semifinals this year — where he again lost to Djokovic — by stunning Roger Federer after dropping the first two sets of their quarterfinal.

There could be a Grand Slam rematch in New York, because Tsonga next plays either 16-time major champion Federer or Juan Monaco, whose fourth-round match was scheduled for later Monday night.

Djokovic, meanwhile, extended his 2011 record to 61-2 by beating No. 22 Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine 7-6 (14), 6-4, 6-2. Their 16-14 tiebreaker in the first set lasted nearly a half-hour all on its own, with Djokovic saving four set points and finally converting his sixth when Dolgopolov pushed a forehand long to close a 13-stroke exchange.

Both men called that tiebreaker the key to the match. One tiny piece of evidence: Dolgopolov double-faulted twice in the opening game of the second set to get broken, and Djokovic was on his way.

Asked whether he considered winning that energy- and will-testing tiebreaker to be a physical or mental triumph, Djokovic replied: "Combination of both. But in the end, it was more mental, just to hang in there, try to play right shots at the right time."

Djokovic now meets his Serbian Davis Cup teammate and buddy Janko Tipsarevic, who is seeded 20th and made it to the first Grand Slam quarterfinal of his career by beating 2003 French champion and U.S. Open runner-up Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain 7-5, 5-7, 7-5, 6-2 in a match that lasted more than 3½ hours.

"Strange feeling," Djokovic said. "We are professionals. Certainly we both want to win the match when we play against each other. So you kind of forget about friendship. You put that aside."

Pretty much everyone who played Monday complained about the wind, which gusted at up to 20 mph and kept changing directions, making even serve tosses difficult.

Serena Williams handled those conditions much better than former No. 1 and 2008 French Open champion Ana Ivanovic and beat her 6-3, 6-4 to return to a Grand Slam quarterfinal for the first time in 14 months. She missed about 11 of those with a series of health scares but looks really good so far at the U.S. Open.

No. 10 Andrea Petkovic of Germany reached her third major quarterfinal of the year with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over unseeded Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain. Next for Petkovic will be No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki or 2004 champion Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Against Ivanovic, Williams hit nine aces overall, only lost serve once, and finished off the match with four consecutive unreturned serves that ranged from 99 to 111 mph.

"I didn`t even go for winners at any point," said Williams, who hit only 16. "I just tried to get it over because it was so windy. It was definitely tough."

She`s seeded only 28th because of all of that time away, but now has won her past 16 matches heading into a quarterfinal against No. 17 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova of Russia. Pavlyuchenkova got past 2010 French Open champion Francesca Schiavone 5-7, 6-3, 6-4 in a match with 21 double-faults and 16 service breaks in 31 games.

"I`m going to say that I don`t want to go out there and enjoy just being on center court playing against Serena," Pavlyuchenkova said. "I would like to do well, try to fight, and with my effort, I`ll try to beat her."
Source: Zee news

Order of play for today :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7416645.stm

Roger Federer beats Juan Monaco in early hours
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/14798243.stm

All indian players are in action today.
Leander and bhupathi in doubles. Paes also in mixed doubles. Bopanna in doubles also.

Doubles delight for Paes at US Open
Leander Paes had much to cheer about at the US Open on Monday, having advanced to the quarter-finals of the men's doubles and semi-finals of the mixed doubles.

Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi made the last eight stage, beating compatriot Somdev Devvarman and his Filipino partner Treat Conrad Huey.

The fourth seeded Indian pair prevailed 6-4, 7-5, the pre-quarter-final clash lasting an hour and 32 minutes.

Nadal practices the day after leg cramps

esqfcx.jpg

New York: Rafael Nadal was back at practice on Monday, the day after a bout with leg cramps interrupted his post-match news conference at the US Open.
In a scary scene during interviews following his win on Sunday, Nadal started grimacing and slipped out of his chair while calling for a trainer. After receiving brief treatment, he was smiling, saying it was nothing more than leg cramps.
Earlier, Nadal overcame a blister on his right foot and two tight sets to beat 2002 Wimbledon runner-up David Nalbandian 7-6 (5), 6-1, 7-5 and reach the fourth round on a muggy afternoon with temperatures in the 80s.
n Monday, the defending champion posted a picture from his practice session on his Facebook page, along with the message: "Hi, after yesterday's incident, that you all know, and all the mess around, I share a picture of today's practice (almost 2 hours). Now waiting to know the time I play. Thanks everybody for your support!"

Nadal plays his fourth-round match Tuesday afternoon against unseeded Gilles Muller.
Source:Ibn

Rain washes out ninth day of the US Open

256btaw.jpg

New York: Rain washed out the entire ninth day of the US Open on Tuesday, leaving organisers with a backlog of matches and the forecast of more bad weather in the next few days.

Persistent showers delayed the start of play at Flushing Meadows for almost three hours and the prediction of more storms convinced tournament officials to cancel the whole day.

"The latest forecast indicates worsening conditions with no projected breaks in the rain through the remainder of the day and into the night," the United States Tennis Association (USTA) said in a statement.
"Due to this forecast, the USTA is cancelling the Tuesday, September 6 day session and the Tuesday, September 6 night session. Play will resume tomorrow, Wednesday, September 7 at 11 am, weather permitting."

Tuesday's schedule had included the remaining four men's fourth-round clashes, featuring Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray, and the first two women's quarter-finals, while Wednesday's initial schedule featured two men's and two men's quarter-finals.
Source:Ibn

Today 8:30PM US Open 2011 : Men's Quarterfinal/Mixed Doubles Final Live On Ten Sports

Nadal leads major player protest over safety at rain-hit U.S. Open

2sbqucx.jpg

Top players led by angry, frustrated Rafael Nadal served up a major safety complaint at the U.S. Open on a wet Wednesday, with unprecedented protests at being set onto courts to begin play in misting rain in a futile attempt to start fourth-round matches.

Nearly four hours later, officials brought matches back on court after issuing a response to Nadal’s charges.

They also postponed two quarter-finals: Novak Djokovic versus Janko Tipsarevic and Roger Federer facing Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

"All parties, including the players and tournament, want to get the U.S. Open back on schedule. As of noon today, the best information available to us indicated the chance of a two-hour window without rain.

“Unfortunately, not all light rain and mist shows up on radar. We have experienced referees, and they decide if courts are fit for play. Conditions may be not ideal but still can be safe.

“However, if a player or players feel that conditions are unsafe, we listen to them, as we have always done, and the referee uses that information as part of his or her assessment on whether to continue or halt play.” Second seed Nadal, the defending champion, was the most vocal after his match with Gilles Muller was interrupted after 15 minutes by more rain, as he trailed 0-3 with two double-faults in a distracted service game.

“We don’t feel protected,” said the Spaniard, who is vice president of the ATP Player Council headed by Federer. “Players are part of the show, and we should have a voice. We are working hard, and we want to feel good when we are at a tournament.” Nadal, a 10-time Grand Slam winner, said that players “cannot accept” such conditions.

“We have to be together -- that’s the only way to change things,” he said. “I have a big desire to play the US Open, but I don’t feel safe to play in rain. We don’t want to go onto court when it’s raining.” Joining in a discussion behind closed doors with tournament referee Brian Earley was Andy Murray, who was 1-2 in his match against American Donald Young, and Andy Roddick, who was 3-1 up against Spain’s David Ferrer.

Murray said they laid the player objections out in plain view.

“We knew Rafa was going to complain,” said the Scot, 2008 finalist to Federer in the first of three straight New York men’s finals which had to be delayed a day due to rain and the lack of a moveable roof.

“It’s dangerous. The lines get really slippy. Players want to play more than anyone -- but not when it’s raining.” Andy Roddick, winner of his home major in 2003, added his voice to the protest: “It was still misting when we walked out to the courts.

It was not our choice. It’s important for us to make it known we don’t want to be in that position again. I think we’re all on the same page.” Roddick said that Earley listened politely to player complaints as more rain fell for a second day after Tuesday’s total washout.

“It hits home when three of us are standing there,” Roddick said.

“It’s not just one person being upset. I understand they need to put tennis on TV, I understand the business side, but first and foremost, the players should feel comfortable.” Unlike the French Open clay, where matches can continue in even light rain, the slightest moisture makes a hard court -- especially the painted white lines -- much too slick, an invitation to injury.

The Open, which generates tens of millions of dollars in revenue, has so far refused to erect a roof over the ageing Ashe Court, built in 1997 on an unstable garbage dump with a precarious water table.

The tournament has ruled out a roof -- even Wimbledon has one now over Centre Court -- due to the cost, estimated at up to 225 million dollars. With New York’s state and local governments facing tight budgets, additions to an elite tennis facility are unlikely to generate sympathy from authorities.

The hard-luck event now faces a fourth scheduling crisis in as many years, with the very real possibility that a fourth men’s final in a row may have to be played on a Monday.

The last time the US Open managed to play to schedule was 2007. Of particular concern to organizers is the fact that television audiences drip to around half for Monday play.

But players might also have a word if men are asked to play four consecutive days of best-of-five matches, a near physical impossibility in some cases.

The Open is hardly the best candidate among the four majors to be gambling with traditionally poor weather -- but officials consistently test the odds by running the first round out of three days instead of two, which puts a delay into the event’s concluding second week.

In addition, television money has spoken the loudest in winner-take-all New York, with men forced to play their semi-finals on Saturday, followed 24 hours later -- weather permitting -- by a final that only begins when gridiron football has concluded.

The scheduling has drawn sporting complaints for years, with the US federation preferring go suit their television partners every time.
Souce: The [/align]Hindu

Back
Top Bottom