US Open 2021 - News and Updates

marvel44

Believe
News Columnist
Solutions
Reaction score
SRyFs5L.jpg

Former US Open champion Andy Murray has been granted a place in the 2021 men's singles main draw after Stan Wawrinka withdrew on Monday. Wawrinka, the 2016 men's singles champ in New York, is still recovering from surgery on his left foot in June—his second foot surgery of the year.

The Swiss, who last competed in Doha this March, reached the 2019 US Open quarterfinals in his last Flushing appearance. He did not compete in the 2020 US Open.

Murray takes Wawrinka's place in the draw as the first alternate, based on his world ranking of No. 104 when the player fields were announced.

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/a..._main_draw_after_stan_wawrinka_withdraws.html

Roger Federer to miss 2021 US Open after knee surgery

“I’ll be on crutches for many weeks and also out of the game for many months," he said, "so it’s going to be difficult of course in some ways. But at the same time, I know it’s the right thing to do because I want to be healthy, I want to be running around later as well again and I want to give myself a glimmer of hope to return to the tour in some shape or form.

“I am realistic, don’t get me wrong. I know how difficult it is at this age right now to do another surgery and try it,” Federer continued. “But I want to be healthy. I will go through the rehab process with a goal while I’m still active, which I think is going to help me during this long period of time.”

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock