TRAI's allowance of phone number recycling is a stupid concept

• Thread starter iDJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 22
  • Views: Views 9,616
This is a genuine problem, although I don't know what could be a good solution. My friend had recently experienced a peculiar issue due to this number recycling. He bought an insurance policy in March and submitted all the relevant documentation. His mobile number, address etc. have been linked to the policy.

He recently tried to register his policy on the insurance portal to access it online. When he logged into the portal, to his shock, there is another policy against his name besides what he bought. That policy term was already completed an year ago and nominee details are showing some unknown name and address. Understandably, he was very scared, as we all know what happens with insurance scams. Initially, we had no clue why this would happen. After breaking our head for a day or so, we understood that this is because of the mobile number used for his new policy. It's a recycled number and this was the number used by the other policy holder when they took the policy. That link still exists and when we register the policy on the portal via mobile number, all policies linked to that number are shown. Even the policy holder's name shows the mobile number owner's name. We haven't got this resolved yet. But this is the kind of problem we could have with this recycling.

I too facing similar situation recently i bought a Vi sim and i am getting messages from the bank of the previous owner withdrawal and deposit so does electricity bills details. Sometimes i recieve calls to that number.

I guess i should then cancel my plan of deactivating my 2nd number.

Here we go.
h1THoHR.jpg

Just wondering, what happens if I get a recycled number which is previously banned by apps like Whatsapp

It won't affect coz of IMSI number variation .. MSISDN 10 digit mobile number is same but IMSI will change in recycling/Port in 😎
Than why do I get message from payments apps?

Than why do I get message from payments apps?
That's due to some of the application software static update policy we unable to update new imsi number that might cause issues in exception cases especially payment application are like that

Last edited:
I know this thread is old, but given this peculiar case, cannot stop myself from posting.

Someone who I know, has purchased Vi's postpaid fancy number. It's not even 15 minutes after SIM activation and he has received 10+ calls for Indane gas booking.

This number is available in public domain and people from all over the state are continuously calling and texting short codes for booking cylinders.

Only way to stop calls and messages is turning the phone off. Turn it on and again a tsunami of calls and messages start.

Have reached out to vi on Twitter for permanent disconnection and also suggested to stop showing that particular number in the portal and sale. They have asked to go to nearest store with PoI and PoA for deactivation.

Please beware before purchasing fancy numbers. Do a search in public domain and Truecaller to see if it reflects any prominent agency or person.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock