• Start date
  • Replies: Replies 22
  • Views: Views 9,401

iDJ

Elite
Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Today not only I ended up giving away my GPS information to a stranger. I almost gave away my payment information too.

So I got a SIM during the lockdown period from a Vi store no less. I asked to provide me unused number. They didn't had any idea about it. I urgently needed the SIM. So I took it. It turned out that this was a used number of some stranger. Today I logged into Domino's app. Add items. Guess what I have found? It's registered under someone else. With all his details. Fortunately, he made couple of IRCTC orders. So no location details of him was found. Now imagine if the guy had logged in future using password instead of OTP. He not only could have accessed to my location. But also to my saved wallets.

This is a small instance. I have even been harrassed for money on a different recycled. Some guy owed money. Person disconnected the sim. I got harrassed because I had gotten the recycled sim. On same number someone had eloped some girl. I faced similar abuses from the relatives. This is getting out of hand.

TRAI should use their heads to get telecom industry out of it's flaws and misery. Recycled sim is a backward concept.

The numbering resources are limited you only have as many numbers that a sequence of 10 digits can accomodate and with India's population of nearly 140 crore it is an easy resource to exhaust considering it is shared between mobile and landline (including the STD code) and many ppl have multiple sims as secondary connections.
The only way the telcos won't run out of numbers is if they are recycled from time to time.

The numbering resources are limited you only have as many numbers that a sequence of 10 digits can accomodate and with India's population of nearly 140 crore it is an easy resource to exhaust considering it is shared between mobile and landline (including the STD code) and many ppl have multiple sims as secondary connections.
The only way the telcos won't run out of numbers is if they are recycled from time to time.
How come Jio gets to have unused number? I have 3 Jio numbers. All were unused numbers.

Dominos seems to deal with similar problem. They changed the name and mail to that of mine.

I think all apps should be made to delete account of unused numbers. Any service like food delivery, cabs etc. with inactive users for over 90 days should be deleted. Along with switching to only OTP based on login. So previous sim owner can't login using passwords.

How come Jio gets to have unused number? I have 3 Jio numbers. All were unused numbers.
1) Jio is a newer operator compared to Airtel and Vi which have been operating since 2 decades. They had received fresh numbering resources from Dot.
2) Jio does not actively disconnect inactive numbers unlike the other two, so the scope of recycling it's own numbers is limited.
3) Jio did get allotted the entire unused and deactivated series of Rcom after it shutdown operation in 2017. You are lucky to have not gotten that recycled Rcom number through Jio.

1) Jio is a newer operator compared to Airtel and Vi which have been operating since 2 decades. They had received fresh numbering resources from Dot.
2) Jio does not actively disconnect inactive numbers unlike the other two, so the scope of recycling it's own numbers is limited.
3) Jio did get allotted the entire unused and deactivated series of Rcom after it shutdown operation in 2017. You are lucky to have not gotten that recycled Rcom number through Jio.
Is the 91 series from RCom? Noticed that it only comes with users ordering JioPhones online.

Is the 91 series from RCom? Noticed that it only comes with users ordering JioPhones online.
93 series of Rcom CDMA also

A couple of years back I got my Airtel sim and it also turned out to be a recycled one. Even now I receive calls from unknown people asking about old sim owner. His SBI bank and other financial accounts are till date registered with this number, I continue to get all his transaction messages, in first few months received calls for loan repayment too but managed to deregister this number from their database.

Today not only I ended up giving away my GPS information to a stranger. I almost gave away my payment information too.

So I got a SIM during the lockdown period from a Vi store no less. I asked to provide me unused number. They didn't had any idea about it. I urgently needed the SIM. So I took it. It turned out that this was a used number of some stranger. Today I logged into Domino's app. Add items. Guess what I have found? It's registered under someone else. With all his details. Fortunately, he made couple of IRCTC orders. So no location details of him was found. Now imagine if the guy had logged in future using password instead of OTP. He not only could have accessed to my location. But also to my saved wallets.

This is a small instance. I have even been harrassed for money on a different recycled. Some guy owed money. Person disconnected the sim. I got harrassed because I had gotten the recycled sim. On same number someone had eloped some girl. I faced similar abuses from the relatives. This is getting out of hand.

TRAI should use their heads to get telecom industry out of it's flaws and misery. Recycled sim is a backward concept.
This isn't feasible. There are not infinite 10 digit numbers and Vodafone recycles number only 2 years after permanent deactivation which is a decent amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock