• Welcome to OnlyTech community forums. If you are an existing member of our DreamDTH forums, please use the same login credentials to login here. Create a new account only if you are not registered at DreamDTH before. If you have trouble logging in, please let us know through the contact form.
  • Welcome to OnlyTech Forums
    An online community for the tech enthusiasts!

Switching between emails, SMSes bad for health

Bapun Raz

Quarantino
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
LONDON: Being technology-savvy may be a necessity in today's world, but a new study says multi-tasking our way through life, as we switch between SMSes, emails and tweets daily, could take a toll on our mental health.

Researchers at California University have claimed that latest gadgets could be damaging people's minds by bombarding them with too much information from multiple sources, and also weakening ability to screen out irrelevant data and prioritise what is important, the 'San Fransico Chronicle' reported.

The study has found that multi-tasking can also hamper short-term memory performance, especially among older adults.

Moreover, there are concerns of possible technology addiction -- with frequent users unable to stop checking their messages or sending out updates at every opportunity, say the researchers.

In their study, they found that multi-taskers performed worse in tests where they had to jump from one task to another -- suggesting that they were easily distracted by irrelevant information.

The researchers quoted other researches that show people are spending more time connected to a keyboard. Youngsters now spend an average of seven hours and 38 minutes on entertainment media per day, but because they are often using more than one medium at any one time, they absorb about 10 hours and 45 minutes of content in 24 hours.

The lethal combination has forced some scientists to call for a "technology diet" to prevent information overload. Dr Elias Aboujaoude, Director of Stanford's Impulse Control Disorders Clinic , was quoted by the 'Daily Mail' as saying, "The best way to define it is in terms of the offline consequences. Are we suffering in terms of our cognition and attention spans because of all the time we spend online?

"Is our professional life negatively impacted because of all the nonessential Internet surfing we do at work? More and more, society is looking like a chat room." [/align]

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/personal-tech/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bapun Raz Apple switching to their own ARM processors from Intel for Macs Computers & Hardware 0
Abhinav842 Seeking Help Chrome Tab Switching suddenly changed Apps & Websites 16
S Airtel Offers 12 Months of Free Data to Customers Switching to Its 4G Network. Airtel 13
R Around 50 percent Samsung Galaxy Note 7 users switching to Apple iPhones: IDC Mobiles & Accessories 0
V My karbonn a1+ is not Switching on Mobiles & Accessories 3
T Google Nexus 6: Fans switching loyalty as uncertainty on availaibility in India Mobiles & Accessories 0
Bapun Raz BSNL, MTNL subscribers are not switching over to private players: Government BSNL 1
mmadhankumar Evernote for Mac gets account switching and LinkedIn sharing Computers & Hardware 0
B Cisco Squeezed In Tough Q1 For Ethernet Switching: Study Computers & Hardware 0
OnlyTech.com Article Dil Bechara, Mastram tops in OTT consumption between 1st July and 20th August on Smartphones: BARC Nielsen Report Digital Streaming Contents 1
Lurie Seeking Help Suggest me a touchscreen 360 degree hinge laptop between 30-50k Computers & Hardware 4
S Seeking Help Suggest Samsung Mobile phone in between 12k to 14k Buying Guidance 1
Bapun Raz Barrier - Share your keyboard and mouse between computers Apps & Websites 0
Optimus_Prime Discussion Difference between Genuine OS and Cracked OS Computer OS & Software 2
Sparker0i Seeking Help Need to decide between Jio Fiber and RailTel Reliance Jio Fiber 19
H Seeking Help Suggest me phone between 10-12K! Mobiles & Accessories 3
Optimus_Prime OTF Exclusive Announced plan comparison between Telecom operators Telecom Services 85
Abhinav842 Breaking Scuffle Breaks out between Delhi Police and Lawyers General Topics 19
A Seeking Help What difference between fibre and cable or any other broadband (physicaly) Broadband Providers 9
R Plan to introduce 6-12hr lag between two ATM withdrawals to prevent bank frauds General Topics 0
somnath chakraborty Breaking Donald Trump meets Imran Khan, offers to mediate Kashmir issue between India and Pakistan General Topics 5
H Seeking Help Suggest me a smartphone between 10 to 12K! URGENT!!! Buying Guidance 6
H Seeking Help Suggest a phone between 7-8K Mobiles & Accessories 10
H Seeking Help Zenfone 5Z and POCO F1 which one should I choose? I'm confused in between! HELP!!! Mobiles & Accessories 7
J Breaking Supreme Court allows less polluting crackers between 8 pm and 10 pm on Diwali General Topics 34