SPN banks on Global Football events for good business

Itsme...

Solutions
Reaction score
"Amid the gloom of the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic in India, broadcaster Sony Pictures Sports Network (SPSN) is banking on upcoming global football tournaments, UEFA EURO 2020 and Copa América 2021 to lift the mood besides eyeing good business, a senior company official said on Tuesday.

The network expects to clock advertising revenue of up to Rs 200 crore from its linear and digital channels together from the EURO 2020, which will start from June 11 and will be held in 11 cities across Europe featuring 24 top teams of the continent."
Source: SPSN banks on broadcast of global football tournaments for good biz - The New Indian Express
/ Finally, someone understands the market for football in India. I always liked Sony Sports for their focus on Football. Unlike Star which ignored many football events even after buying rights, sony always promoted it well even going to the extent of having regional feeds in Hindi. Now in Tamil, Telugu.. Thank you SPN. 🙏

Last edited:
This is also a good reply to those guys who were arguing with me on Dream DTH and twitter saying Football events doesn't fetch money. Advertising revenue from Euro alone is 200 cr even after the timing being not so great for us. That's huge. Star needs to understand the market of football fans. They also need to focus and buy rights for La liga, Bundesliga etc. 👍

hey will share the stage with international former footballers like Louis Saha, Luis Garcia, Don Hutchison, David James, Terry Phelan, Mark Seagraves, Ashley Westwood, and Jofre Mateu, SPSN said

Can't they spend some money on getting good pundits.Don Hutchison is a co commentator in PL matches.The rest do not even get a spot anywhere else on TV.If they are really serious they should get a good panel or even take the feed from the original broadcaster rather than trying to indianize the pre and post match shows.Most of the times i tend to skip their match buildup due to poor quality of discussion.

This is also a good reply to those guys who were arguing with me on Dream DTH and twitter saying Football events doesn't fetch money. Advertising revenue from Euro alone is 200 cr even after the timing being not so great for us. That's huge. Star needs to understand the market of football fans. They also need to focus and buy rights for La liga, Bundesliga etc. 👍
To put into context Star has/had forecasted a revenue of Rs 3500 crores from IPL this year :)
No wonder they are putting their money on IPL

To put into context Star has/had forecasted a revenue of Rs 3500 crores from IPL this year :)
No wonder they are putting their money on IPL
3500 cr revenue doesn't mean they made profit of 3500 cr. Star pay huge amount for IPL also. Example- You pay 50 cr for rights. Make 200 cr as revenue. Then you made 150 cr profit. A 300% return on investment. You pay 2000 cr for rights. Made revenue of 3500 cr. That's 75% return on investment. Rights for Euro is way cheaper than PL and others.

Star paid 16347 crores for 5 years of IPL rights(Domestic,Digital and International).That works out to Rs 3259 crore/year.They targeted a revenue of Rs 3500 crores from adv. this year,in addition to this they would get money from licensing rights to international broadcasters plus the people who pay for subscribing Hotstar during IPL period.Assuming even a 10% increase in adv. revenue for next year the revenues from adv. merely will be 3800 crores.I am pretty sure the figures you gave an example for Euro won't be the actual figures.

Don't blame the broadcaster. Blame the audience. Just look at the ratings. The only time you will see surge in viewership of football is during World Cup, Copa America Cup and Euro Cup. Only younger demographics are attracted towards the leagues. Casual viewership won't even watch International friendlies. Leave alone any leagues.

Last edited:
Don't blame the broadcaster. Blame the audience. Just look at the ratings. The only time you will see surge in viewership of football is during World Cup, Copa America Cup and Euro Cup. Only younger demographics are attracted towards the leagues. Casual viewership won't even watche International friendlies. Leave alone any leagues.
Agree it's just that before the WC or Euro everyone in office and friends start asking me which team i am supporting.Remaining 3-4 years they wait only for Cricket events.Leave Football,imagine the plight of F1 in india.I distinctly remember my father scolding me and my elder brother for watching F1 as it used to irritate him with engine noise on TV while reading :)

Star paid 16347 crores for 5 years of IPL rights(Domestic,Digital and International).That works out to Rs 3259 crore/year.They targeted a revenue of Rs 3500 crores from adv. this year,in addition to this they would get money from licensing rights to international broadcasters plus the people who pay for subscribing Hotstar during IPL period.Assuming even a 10% increase in adv. revenue for next year the revenues from adv. merely will be 3800 crores.I am pretty sure the figures you gave an example for Euro won't be the actual figures.
It will be around 50 cr at best. Bundesliga rights for India is only 10 cr. There is a source for it. But i can't share it as that source is not allowed here. Euro with less matches and a slightly more fan following will be around that range. In India, Popular football events will go in the ranks of EPL, WC, ISL(Rank 1 on viewership numbers). Then only Euros.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock