• Thread starter Suvir
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 94
  • Views: Views 6,921

Suvir

Banned
Reaction score
BCCI key for good of global cricket, Anurag Thakur warns ICC

[img=200x150]http://img.cricketcb.com/i/news/290x200/stories/2016/sep/10/prv_02914_1473522179.jpg[/img]

With the International Cricket Council (ICC) set to reduce the Board of Control for Cricket in India's (BCCI) share in its revenue, Indian cricket board president Anurag Thakur has voiced his disappointment. He has vowed to not let go of a 'single percent' share of the revenue and stated that the good health of BCCI is important for the well being of global cricket.

On Saturday (September 10), the BCCI president said that "the new ICC regime is trying to sideline the BCCI, one of the most important stakeholders in global cricket today." He went on to question the motives of ICC chairman Shashank Manohar, equating him to "a captain leaving a sinking ship before other members," while mentioning that BCCI is being arm-twisted by both the ICC and the Lodha committee.
After BCCI's opposition to the two-tier system forced the ICC to shelve the proposal until 2019, Thakur said BCCI was looking to safeguard the interests of the smaller cricketing bodies around the world. He also questioned ICC's budget allotment for the Champions Trophy 2017 in England, which according to the BCCI is three times more than the funds allotted to India for the T20 WC that was held in the country earlier this year.
Cricbuzz caught up with Thakur in his hometown Hamirpur and spoke to him about a wide range of issues including amendments in the ICC, Lodha recommendations, relevance of domestic tournaments and the future plans for women's cricket and much more in an exclusive interview.

Full Interview :

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]BCCI's share in the ICC revenue is set to reduce. As per reports, ICC held a separate meeting with other member boards without involving BCCI. What's your take on that?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Even I heard that a separate meeting was held with a few boards about the revenue sharing thing and other issues of ICC, which is not in the interest of ICC. But only ICC can comment on that, I am not in a position to comment on that. All I can say is BCCI is one of the most important stakeholders of the ICC. They cannot treat BCCI like that. And if such a situation arose, only ICC can tell. I cannot tell anything on that. All I can say is that I'm not giving a single percent share from Team India. For me, my country, my board is the most important part and I have to look after them. For me the institution is the most important thing, not the individual.[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]The BCCI and the Indian subcontinent contribute a lot to the ICC. ICC gets close to 70% of its revenue from our market. What we get in return is not even one-third or one-fourth of that. So I think it is very appropriate whatever share is decided for the BCCI in the past is the right thing and we are not even giving away 1% of that share.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you think Shashank Manohar has used the BCCI as a platform to become the ICC chairman?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]That is up to the public to see whether Mr. Manohar has used the BCCI platform to become the ICC chairman or not. I'm not in a position to comment on that. All I have to say is that I have to look after my institution and I'm here to save every penny for my cricket board. BCCI needs to do well for the good of global cricket. Without BCCI, there cannot be any good of global cricket. Everyone must understand that, including the ICC.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Is Manohar playing into the hands of Australia and England?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Actions will speak for itself rather than me saying in his favour or against him.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Is there a faction inside the BCCI because of which he does not want to support the current section that is leading it right now?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]I don't think that he wants to play any politics with that. But at the end of the day, he is an Indian even if he is the ICC chairman.[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you think ICC should have given notice to BCCI with regards to the outside interference?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Many members have a feeling in the ICC that ICC should give a notice to the BCCI for the outside interference. It is up to the ICC. BCCI cannot force ICC to give notices and why should we talk about that. Yes, as per the ICC rules and regulations, they have suspended many boards such as Nepal, USACA and even Sri Lanka in the past, given notices to them. It is up to the ICC. We cannot force them to give anything.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]What keeps you going? A job in BCCI is unpaid for. You have several other responsibilities and then there are legal issues as well. What is there in the job that makes you hold on to it?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]If you ask me, the judges are paid lakh of rupees. The Justic Lodha Committee has been paid Rs. 4 Crore to look into the matter. But as BCCI president, I don't get anything. But Justice Lodha and others get crores of rupees.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Then why are you still holding on to your post?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]I think it's the passion for the game. Many people ask me 'How much is Lodha Committee getting paid?' They are paid Rs 3.5-4 Crore and they charge you lakh of rupees per hour or per day. Look at the contribution of the BCCI members. They aren't paid anything. [/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]So much love for the job?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]We are not here to make money, we are here to contribute and we are contributing. The elected office bearers have to be well paid. In the ICC, the office bearers are paid. Mr Shashank Manohar is paid.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Without getting anything in return, do you still have the will to fight?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]There is more satisfaction by contributing to the game of cricket. Yes, we are losing time every day. Every day, many hours we give to the game. We aren't even paid for that, we don't even charge for that. But still, it is the passion of the BCCI members which is moving this game forward. The Lodha Committee spoke about players taking over. I am a player, Niranjan Shah is a player, Anil Kumble, Brijesh Patel, Arshad Ayub, Dilip Vengsarkar, Sourav Ganguly - everyone is a player. But when the players came on the IPL board, they were paid Rs 1 Crore. Some players wanted Rs 5 Crore as well. None of the BCCI members wanted that kind of money.[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Though I travel 24 hours continuously to attend BCCI meetings, nobody sees that kind of contribution by the politicians. (Arun) Jaitley built the stadium in Delhi, (Sharad) Pawar built the stadium in Mumbai, I built the stadium in Dharamsala. So I think it is very important that we look at the other side of the politicians.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]You are quite frank and direct when you talk, much unlike most administrators who choose to be politically correct. Is this done intentionally to create an approachable image for BCCI?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]There is nothing to hide in BCCI, we have been transparent and open. When I say transparent, I mean there is nothing to hide. When the Supreme Court judges write reports and ask us to be transparent, I laugh sometimes because we have nothing to hide. They asked for the details of matches held in America, we gave that. We never wanted to hide anything. But they are overstepping their line. At the same time, look at the Indian judicial system today. There are judges asking for more transparency in the system. Does that mean the whole judicial system is corrupt? Maybe. But they are not ready to get the National Judicial Accountability Bill passed. They don't want to be accountable. The judges don't want to be accountable, but want the cricket body to be accountable which is already there.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]So are you fine with BCCI coming under the Right to Information Act?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]There can't be two separate laws for societies in the country. They have to be the same for everyone.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Lodha recommendations. Can you talk about it?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]The matter is subjudice, but I don't agree with a lot of recommendations. These should have been only recommendations. BCCI has brought in many reforms and we are always open for reforms, but many things are not practical. (With the age and tenure cap) How do you create leadership? If after three years I have to retire then what is the interest left? How do you create leadership for the national level?[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you think players should have a right on deciding who should be doing commentary?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]No, why should they have the right? (With respect to player's views being taken before Harsha Bhogle's sacking) There was a problem with the then president (Shashank Manohar). Players should not (have the right to decide who should be doing commentary). Their job is to play.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]What according to you are the biggest challenges for BCCI and world cricket at the moment?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Lack of interest in Test cricket.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]For the public or the boards?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]For the public. Board will do what the fan wants. We are organising 13 Test matches, but we cannot force the fans to go for five days of Tests. You can only make some offers or make it more watchable, create more interest by some promotion. But you cannot force people to watch Tests. So let the fans decide what they want. You will see in the coming days how we are going to promote Test cricket.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]What's the blueprint for taking women's cricket forward? At the international level as well as the grass-root level?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]You have to look at a few states such as Himachal Pradesh, Andhra and Kerala. They have done really well for women's cricket by creating academies. You won't find women coming forward or associations having academies in every district. But whatever limited resources you have, talent you have, you have to nurture that, you have to polish them and bring them to the national level. That is what these associations have done. More and more associations must do that. We need to create more and more stars from women's cricket. Women's cricket needs more stars. It is stars like Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar and Sachin Tendulkar who have immensely contributed towards making cricket more popular.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]As far as bilateral tours and Test cricket is concerned for the women's team, they are far and few. And it's a very good team that we have now.[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]They should play more triangular series to get better competitions.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]So are you planning to arrange more matches for the women's team?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Of course, yes. From day one when I became the honorary secretary, I have increased the amount of matches for women's cricket, got contracts and all that. We will be doing much more. I have asked the women's committee to come up with a proposal, with a report which I am still waiting for. I wanted to involve them. I hope they will give it to me soon.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]How relevant do you think are tournaments like Duleep Trophy, Vijay Hazare Trophy and Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Look at the Duleep Trophy that we held in Greater Noida. Everyday we have a few thousand people coming to see that, which is a great thing.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm talking in terms of performances, where player performances result into nothing...[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]I agree with you and I want to change a few things. This year we played Duleep Trophy as a day and night affair. So there is some change we are bringing. What we are trying to do with Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy is that it will be played in various zones. They should play matches at the zonal level. Then, we must come out with a league kind of a structure where the zones must own a team and they must participate in a league. So you have six teams playing a league like IPL. That will get more revenue, more value and more talent out of that. I'll be coming out with that soon.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]What's your personal view on issues such as DRS and pink-ball cricket?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]We are not in a hurry to start with pink-ball cricket. You have to look at the Indian conditions, advantages and disadvantages of playing with the pink ball. There is a charm of playing in a white cricket gear and a red ball that comes with Test cricket.[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]With the DRS, I'm open about implementing some parts of it, but LBW is still not 100% sure. After the MIT report, even the ICC wasn't confident enough to implement that.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]But every top team has gone with it despite all the flaws, except India.[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]We don't have to follow them, we have to lead the world.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Have you ever discussed this issue with the other boards?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]It is up to them. I'm okay with implementing the rest, except the Hawk-Eye. By spending thousands of dollars, if you not getting 100% result, what's the point. The same error that a human is making, is being made by a machine. Then what is the advantage? At the end of the day, you are leaving it at the hands of a human. The mistake that can happen in the field, can also happen in the box.[/font]

© Cricbuzz

Sarkar said:
Go ahead Split from ICC. ICC cannot survive without us

Sorry bro but I do not agree with your view. Reason 1)if other country not play with india then india cricket or bcci survive. 2)if other country player not play in ipl then ipl survive 3)if indian people do not support india cricket then bcci survive. Conclusion-bcci have not Bose of world cricket.thanks to those star player who play for india during 1947-1999 thanks dd-national channel he telecast without profit in 19th century and people of India and rest of world people he support cricket.now bcci duty support icc for parmote cricket all world.

Gurmeet singh said:
Sorry bro but I do not agree with your view. Reason 1)if other country not play with india then india cricket or bcci survive. 2)if other country player not play in ipl then ipl survive 3)if indian people do not support india cricket then bcci survive. Conclusion-bcci have not Bose of world cricket.thanks to those star player who play for india during 1947-1999 thanks dd-national channel he telecast without profit in 19th century and people of India and rest of world people he support cricket.now bcci duty support icc for parmote cricket all world.

Just one question. Do you support ICC's huge allotment towards England for few matches in champions trophy? Where was this ICC when we host world cup? Why they allot only a fraction to us for hosting world cup event? [emoji35]

We contribute biggest share of icc revenue but still they give us only a fraction. This is unacceptable.

dreambox.pk said:
Yes BCCI cant survive without ICC
Then tell icc to arrange a big tournament when we host IPL, we will see how many players play that tournament [emoji6]

Sarkar said:
Just one question. Do you support ICC's huge allotment towards England for few matches in champions trophy? Where was this ICC when we host world cup? Why they allot only a fraction to us for hosting world cup event? [emoji35]

We contribute biggest share of icc revenue but still they give us only a fraction. This is unacceptable.

Exactly :) ..

Sarkar said:
Then tell icc to arrange a big tournament when we host IPL, we will see how many players play that tournament [emoji6]

IPL cant be successful without International players and if ICC dont allow Other teams and players to play with BCCI then they will play with nepal only or leagues like IPL which will be not successful in absent of International players

Sarkar said:

No I do not support icc for champion trophy huge payment to england.i support icc for globalization cricket.bcci do not want globalization of cricket he do not play any cricket with non-test playing nation.srilanka,England,Pakistan,south Africa,Austrilia,Bangladesh,west indies,newzealand and zimbabwe play with ireland and Afghanistan.india even do not play with Afghanistan.

dreambox.pk said:
IPL cant be successful without International players and if ICC dont allow Other teams and players to play with BCCI then they will play with nepal only or leagues like IPL which will be not successful in absent of International players
You should know why there is a gap in icc calendar when we host IPL. IPL is much bigger than any other tournament in the world.

For a player IPL teams give more money than his own cricket board. So Players will take voluntary retirement so that they can play in IPL [emoji6]

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock