Discussion Should English content on OTT apps be dubbed in local Indian languages?

• Thread starter iDJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 36
  • Views: Views 2,339

Should English content on OTT apps be dubbed in local Indian languages?

• Total voters
Depends on returns & popularity. Earlier in South dubbing was only in Tamil then expanded to Telugu and finally to Malayalam & Kannada. Even in Malayalam & Kannada not every content is getting dubbed like Tamil & Telugu. Also the TV channels in these languages played role in catalysing dubbed contents. Its not a matter of bias or favour. Hindi - Tamil - Telugu - others..this is the general order of priority.
Priority should be Hindi & English. Than from the regions that brings more viewership. Good luck than. 😉

Social media requests doesn't equals to viewership counts and subscription from the region.

It’s weird to see English originals in Hindi.I am sure that’s true for other languages too.
I think dubbing is done more for diaspora audience. Specially when it comes to local original content. Otherwise it makes no sense to dub for Telugu and Tamil market. These have more pay TV audience. TV market audience is not streaming market audience for sure. Based on the demographic they cater to. They can easily understand Hindi and English.

I think industry is coming to it's senses. There was no Tamil or Telugu dubbing for The Super Mario Bros. Movie. They know it's a waste of resource where there barely is any positive return. This should be the norm.

This should be the norm. Hindi and English. Don't waste resources on other regional languages.
Nope, that will be offensive to other languages if they can't offer other regional languages they should remove Hindi also only English is allowed

Priority should be Hindi & English. Than from the regions that brings more viewership. Good luck than. 😉

Social media requests doesn't equals to viewership counts and subscription from the region.
But most northern states or languages are standing behind the shades of Hindi aka Bollywood. Go through some examples..We can see Hindi channels occupying markets like Marathi, Gujarati etc viewership charts whereas no Sun TV is visible in Telugu tables or Star Maa along with Zee Malayalam etc etc.. Also Odisha is a larger state than Kerala which is the smallest in South. But Television viewership of Malayalam is way higher than Odia as well as the investment in Films also high. When it comes to TN & Andra their investment & returns is no where near the northern states you stated earlier. What I am saying is if you need unique attention then you should prove yourself. Those northern states should break the shadow of Bollywood and emerge themselves creating space by making own investments & contents. Then timely others will approach. Dubbing into South languages was not occurred all of a sudden in a day or month. It was an evolved process. Not generalizing & insulting all northern states. The Bhojpuri industry is stuck in B grade era. Many of North States has no own movie industry and they all depends on Bollywood. So Companies decide to throw away Hindi versions to feed them.
I think dubbing is done more for diaspora audience. Specially when it comes to local original content. Otherwise it makes no sense to dub for Telugu and Tamil market. These have more pay TV audience. TV market audience is not streaming market audience for sure. Based on the demographic they cater to. They can easily understand Hindi and English.

I think industry is coming to it's senses. There was no Tamil or Telugu dubbing for The Super Mario Bros. Movie. They know it's a waste of resource where there barely is any positive return. This should be the norm.
Super Mario is an odd incident. Dubbing to South languages was drastically increased in last few years. Even Bollywood movies started dubbing movies to South languages. Upcoming Jawan is going to release in Tamil & Telugu along with original. The Hindi belt itself giving priority to Tamil & Telugu means they are the top yielding markets.

But most northern states or languages are standing behind the shades of Hindi aka Bollywood. Go through some examples..We can see Hindi channels occupying markets like Marathi, Gujarati etc viewership charts whereas no Sun TV is visible in Telugu tables or Star Maa along with Zee Malayalam etc etc.. Also Odisha is a larger state than Kerala which is the smallest in South. But Television viewership of Malayalam is way higher than Odia as well as the investment in Films also high. When it comes to TN & Andra their investment & returns is no where near the northern states you stated earlier. What I am saying is if you need unique attention then you should prove yourself. Those northern states should break the shadow of Bollywood and emerge themselves creating space by making own investments & contents. Then timely others will approach. Dubbing into South languages was not occurred all of a sudden in a day or month. It was an evolved process. Not generalizing & insulting all northern states. The Bhojpuri industry is stuck in B grade era. Many of North States has no own movie industry and they all depends on Bollywood. So Companies decide to throw away Hindi versions to feed them.
North didn't had money as South. They took too long to get serious about local private channels. By than like Star Plus and Zee TV were popular among households where South is having channels from 90s itself. Than South has advantage over cable being provided by government run operators for cheap. Than you got politicians even subsidising cost of TVs by distributing for free. I won't talk about Bhojwood. I have no clue about this industry. Regional movies in Assam, Punjab, Bengal and Maharashtra are doing pretty good on their own. They make good content but don't get the deserved push because of lack of star power. They don't have cult obsessed fans or money for PR to increase their reach outside their own market.

1. Its futile to fight over regional language / dubbing supremacy when it comes to "English / foreign" OTT / TV. Fight over real issues.
2. You guys wont ever learn a language / new words, if you keep watching foreign content in whatever Indian language. Moreover, dubbing kills the entire feel, authenticity and spirit of a show, even if you spend on quality artists.

1. Its futile to fight over regional language / dubbing supremacy when it comes to "English / foreign" OTT / TV. Fight over real issues.
2. You guys wont ever learn a language / new words, if you keep watching foreign content in whatever Indian language. Moreover, dubbing kills the entire feel, authenticity and spirit of a show, even if you spend on quality artists.
General audience could care less about what words they learn. They want pure mindless entertainment.

Hope HBO never dubs. Their shows are not for everyone.

Last edited:
General audience could care less about what words they learn. They want pure mindless entertainment.

Hope HBO never dubs their shows. Their shows are not for everyone.
Many "English / Foreign" shows are meant to be at least "Niche" in the Indian Market.
For "pure mindless entertainment", Bollywood and the s#x-comedies are there for general masses.

Its aesthetically distasteful to dub "English / Foreign" shows.

Moreover, dubbing kills the entire feel, authenticity and spirit of a show, even if you spend on quality artists.
Exactly my thoughts so.Not only OTT even watching sports like football in Hindi just kills the mood to watch.

Exactly my thoughts so.Not only OTT even watching sports like football in Hindi just kills the mood to watch.
Hindi commentary in cricket is like watching Saas bahu serial. Absolutely Cringe fest.

I have grown up watching sports in English, English movies in English, foreign language shows / movies in their own language.

I am "old school". I prefer to keep it that way and would like to keep watching that way.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock