Discussion Record number of iPhones sold in Amazon Great Indian Festival Sale, EMI option a big hit

:ouch: Buying an over-priced thing which loses its value very pretty fast on EMI??? Not a good decision, in my personal opinion. But considering the current corona situation, it is understandable...
They are talking about iPhone (Apple) bro, not Samsung. Apple devices don't lose their value very fast. Over Priced? Blame govts, not apple.

:ouch: Buying an over-priced thing which loses its value very pretty fast on EMI??? Not a good decision, in my personal opinion.
I don't get this logic. If you are opting for a 12 month EMI, you don't have to wait 12 month to get your phone. Do you? It gets delivered to you in a few days. And you get to use the latest model. And by the time you complete all your EMIs, you would've already used the phone for a year. So why does it matter if it lost its value then? You have already used it for 12 months. You have already got enough value out of it. And it didn't even hurt your pocket that much because of the EMI.

:ouch: Buying an over-priced thing which loses its value very pretty fast on EMI??? Not a good decision, in my personal opinion. But considering the current corona situation, it is understandable...
Even after 3 years, iPhone X's resale value is ~30,000. 3 year is a pretty long time period.

But, a 3-year-old Samsung Galaxy S8's resale value is around 10,000 or less.

Apple products may look overpriced. But it is still the most valuable smartphone.

In my whatsapp status almost 3 people have bought iPhone 11.....they should start manufacturing even the Pro models in India and come up with aggressive pricing....let One Plus and Samsung face the heat.

The Sole reason why Samsung phones value depreciates over time while Apple/One Plus remains steady is because of the underperforming Exynos chips, even Samsung has to cut down the price of their flagships upto 40% to sell them in India just after 4 to 5 months of launching the phones, if they come out with Snapdragon chips with Adreno GPU as in US and South Korea, even Samsung phones would have long life.

In my whatsapp status almost 3 people have bought iPhone 11.....they should start manufacturing even the Pro models in India and come up with aggressive pricing....let One Plus and Samsung face the heat.

The Sole reason why Samsung phones value depreciates over time while Apple/One Plus remains steady is because of the underperforming Exynos chips, even Samsung has to cut down the price of their flagships upto 40% to sell them in India just after 4 to 5 months of launching the phones, if they come out with Snapdragon chips with Adreno GPU as in US and South Korea, even Samsung phones would have long life.
Along with that, they should stop releasing so many devices. From a couple of years, they are releasing a new model almost every month.

I don't get this logic. If you are opting for a 12 month EMI, you don't have to wait 12 month to get your phone. Do you? It gets delivered to you in a few days. And you get to use the latest model. And by the time you complete all your EMIs, you would've already used the phone for a year. So why does it matter if it lost its value then? You have already used it for 12 months. You have already got enough value out of it. And it didn't even hurt your pocket that much because of the EMI.
May be I was not clear enough. I am NOT just talking about iPhones, smartphones as a whole. For me at least, EMI is for long term value things like Home and to some extend cars and home appliances, providing it last way longer OR that's the only way for the middle-class people to own that thing, which is almost a necessity. But phones?? (Explaining this will become an online class for the finance subject and so I stop here.) That's why, I then said, "considering the current [Pandemic] situation, this is expected". Let me explain in detail ==>> Because persons who used to ALWAYS buy costly phones are now thinking a lot to open their wallet, they are going through the EMI route and I really appreciate them.

==========​

Since the replies, guessed I talked about iPhones, let me also explain my concerns reg iPhones:-
Even after 3 years, iPhone X's resale value is ~30,000. 3 year is a pretty long time period.
The price of iPhoneX, 3 years back was close to Rs1Lakh. From 1 Lakh to 30,000Rs is still a very very large degrade in value, imho. To sell the iPhone @30k after 3 years, you have to maintain with extra care like a baby (considering its glass back). If not enough care was taken, can anyone sell it on that price?? Rs30k is NOT just for the Apple product, its for your extra care as well.

Blaming Govt for iPhone prices??

iPhone SE 2020 launched for around Rs43k and it is not just due to 20% duty and 18% GST. 399$ + 20% Duty + 18% GST = Not more than 35k. Do I even need to talk about the price of iPhone 12 Pro Max @ Rs1.5L?? Even then, it is the Govt that gets the blame and not Apple.

Waiting for iPhone with aggressive pricing from apple??
It's going to be a looooooong wait bro. Till then apple get away from anything just like that, aggressive pricing is NOT going to happen, imho. Want a few samples of getting away from anything, kindly look below:-
Apple can get away from anything, like LITERALLY ANYTHING.
[1] They slow their phones via the GREAT SOLID UN-PARALLED (5 years of) updates. When they get-caught, they blame reboot issue due to battery health. Come on, which phone reboots on bad battery health. They will proclaim that as a "FEATURE" of iOS.
[2] They gave bad antenna design, which looses signal and they say, "You are holding it wrong" and gave a case == case closed. Even they increased the HEIGHT of the Signal bar of low signal in their next SPECIAL SOFTWARE updates.
[3] They removed headphone jack, so that their TWS wireless earphones sell well and they call it as "COURAGE".
[4] Do people are aware of the "Right to repair Act" and apple's effort to stop that in US???
[5] NOT including chargers in Rs1.5Lakh (non-foldable) phone and behaving like environment Savior. If they really had thought of environment, they might have followed the USB C standard like in their iPad, but NO. People will still buy them in millions, including the NEW 20W charger. Their inclusion of Type-C to lightning cable in the box proves that, they are an EVIL GENIUS.
[6] Recycling designs again & again, Bendable phone, 5W chargers in Rs1L phones, Bendable iPads, Touch Row (or whatever) and KB issues, removal of ports in their lappy, 1k$ Stand, etc.. etc... The list will be endless..

In online (not here), if I blame one apple's wrong doing, people used to jump on me, like as if I blamed their family member. Come on, IT IS JUST A PHONE (as told by Steve Jobs during Antenna Gate). Even I am NOT blaming Apple's product. I am blaming the COMPANY POLICY. After a lengthy argument, many will finally say, "It's a class product and I blame them coz, I can't afford one". I can't show the P&L statement of the 4 companies, I own, but I can say that I can afford not just one, but the entire apple eco-system (phone, watch, iPad, MacBook, iMac, etc) as a whole.

I love the beauty of iPhone 8 plus. I love the competition given by iOS, to the otherwise monopoly Android world. I love the true multi-tasking in iPad (not the fake multi-tasking in iPhones). But I hate the arrogance of APPLE as a company. In short, people have to call a spade a spade and blame a co when they do something wrong and not always show a blind eye. That's exactly what I am doing. NO COMPANY IS BIGGER THAN ITS CUSTOMERS, EVEN IF IT IS A TWO TRILLION$ ONE..

May be I was not clear enough. I am NOT just talking about iPhones, smartphones as a whole. For me at least, EMI is for long term value things like Home and to some extend cars and home appliances, providing it last way longer OR that's the only way for the middle-class people to own that thing, which is almost a necessity. But phones?? (Explaining this will become an online class for the finance subject and so I stop here.) That's why, I then said, "considering the current [Pandemic] situation, this is expected". Let me explain in detail ==>> Because persons who used to ALWAYS buy costly phones are now thinking a lot to open their wallet, they are going through the EMI route and I really appreciate them.

==========​

Since the replies, guessed I talked about iPhones, let me also explain my concerns reg iPhones:-

The price of iPhoneX, 3 years back was close to Rs1Lakh. From 1 Lakh to 30,000Rs is still a very very large degrade in value, imho. To sell the iPhone @30k after 3 years, you have to maintain with extra care like a baby (considering its glass back). If not enough care was taken, can anyone sell it on that price?? Rs30k is NOT just for the Apple product, its for your extra care as well.

iPhone SE 2020 launched for around Rs43k and it is not just due to 20% duty and 18% GST. 399$ + 20% Duty + 18% GST = Not more than 35k. Do I even need to talk about the price of iPhone 12 Pro Max @ Rs1.5L?? Even then, it is the Govt that gets the blame and not Apple.

Waiting for iPhone with aggressive pricing from apple??
It's going to be a looooooong wait bro. Till then apple get away from anything just like that, aggressive pricing is NOT going to happen, imho. Want a few samples of getting away from anything, kindly look below:-
Apple can get away from anything, like LITERALLY ANYTHING.
[1] They slow their phones via the GREAT SOLID UN-PARALLED (5 years of) updates. When they get-caught, they blame reboot issue due to battery health. Come on, which phone reboots on bad battery health. They will proclaim that as a "FEATURE" of iOS.
[2] They gave bad antenna design, which looses signal and they say, "You are holding it wrong" and gave a case == case closed. Even they increased the HEIGHT of the Signal bar of low signal in their next SPECIAL SOFTWARE updates.
[3] They removed headphone jack, so that their TWS wireless earphones sell well and they call it as "COURAGE".
[4] Do people are aware of the "Right to repair Act" and apple's effort to stop that in US???
[5] NOT including chargers in Rs1.5Lakh (non-foldable) phone and behaving like environment Savior. If they really had thought of environment, they might have followed the USB C standard like in their iPad, but NO. People will still buy them in millions, including the NEW 20W charger. Their inclusion of Type-C to lightning cable in the box proves that, they are an EVIL GENIUS.
[6] Recycling designs again & again, Bendable phone, 5W chargers in Rs1L phones, Bendable iPads, Touch Row (or whatever) and KB issues, removal of ports in their lappy, 1k$ Stand, etc.. etc... The list will be endless..

In online (not here), if I blame one apple's wrong doing, people used to jump on me, like as if I blamed their family member. Come on, IT IS JUST A PHONE (as told by Steve Jobs during Antenna Gate). Even I am NOT blaming Apple's product. I am blaming the COMPANY POLICY. After a lengthy argument, many will finally say, "It's a class product and I blame them coz, I can't afford one". I can't show the P&L statement of the 4 companies, I own, but I can say that I can afford not just one, but the entire apple eco-system (phone, watch, iPad, MacBook, iMac, etc) as a whole.

I love the beauty of iPhone 8 plus. I love the competition given by iOS, to the otherwise monopoly Android world. I love the true multi-tasking in iPad (not the fake multi-tasking in iPhones). But I hate the arrogance of APPLE as a company. In short, people have to call a spade a spade and blame a co when they do something wrong and not always show a blind eye. That's exactly what I am doing. NO COMPANY IS BIGGER THAN ITS CUSTOMERS, EVEN IF IT IS A TWO TRILLION$ ONE..
I wanted to reiterate that Apple is still the most valuable smartphone.

iPhone X 64gb was priced in India for 89,000. Flat 10,000 cash back was available for Citibank CC and DC users.
Let's not consider cash back since everyone cannot avail it.

Flagships cost much these days and flagship users intend to change phones every 2 years or so. When they change It after a certain period, Apple offers outstanding trade-in value which other brands cannot match even for their own smartphones. That is the issue.

No brand is 100% perfect. Flagships space was largely contested between Apple & Samsung and now OnePlus.

Samsung uses Exynos in India and so the smartphone becomes invaluable when compared with competitors. OnePlus is not 100% flagship yet.

So we are left out with Apple.

NO COMPANY IS BIGGER THAN ITS CUSTOMERS - But the value and loyalty of Apple grows everyday which means people still love Apple and they will continue to do so.

iPhone SE:

Price in the US:

399$

Price in India:

399$ = 29,264.94 (XE) and 29272.16(Google)

Let's Consider Google for this calculation 1$ =73.36rs as on 20th Oct 2020. (Phone was announced on May 19th and 1$ was 75.712rs at that time)

29272.16 + 20% Duty + 18% GST = 41,449rs.

Apple charged 42500rs at that time in India.

iPhone 12 Pro Max:

Price in the US:

128GB: 1099$

Price in India:

1099$ = 80,607.60 (XE) and 80629.54 (Google)

Let's Consider Google for this calculation 1$ =73.36rs as on 20th Oct 2020.

80,607.60 + 20% Duty + 18% GST = 1,14,140rs

Apple is charging 1,29,900rs in India. Sadly they are charging 15k more don't know why.

iPhone 11: 599$ (43938.92) in US and 54,900rs (748.43$).. They are charging 3,052rs extra in India compared to the US excluding tax.

Only apple got away? What about Samsung and others bro? Samsung trolled apple when they first did that but later they followed the same step.

I think many know environment thing was just a lie but sadly no one can do anything regarding and other companies will follow them soon. LG already did that for the sale in Flipkart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock