News from Karnataka

• Thread starter Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 93
  • Views Views: Views 14,312
No, they aren't. They have localised theme events even at English medium school. They teach about local cultures at school.
I don't seen any English medium school that teaching about Culture.

Dude, go out of the house and see which Indian person doesn't know about Holi and Diwali. In contrary they are not aware about western festivals like Halloween and Thanksgiving.
I am already out of the house but looks like you are imported from US. Doesn't know about Holi and Diwali stands to cultural facts of these festivals. Holi and Diwali is not just a festival of Colours and Firecrackers. On the occasion of Diwali and Holi, we offer new grains to God and only after offering them to God, they are used. Just like Pearl millet (Bajraa: Famous crop of Rajasthan) on Diwali and wheat on Holi. And most of the people don't know it.

On the occasion of Diwali and Holi, we offer new grains to God and only after offering them to God, they are used. Just like Pearl millet (Bajraa: Famous crop of Rajasthan) on Diwali and wheat on Holi. And most of the people don't know it.
I don't think this is something which should be taught at school.Family needs to teach kids about these traditions.Though i feel that Festivals are losing their sheen due to inwardly nature that is propagating in today's society.I remember that on day of Holi i used to come home only for taking bath mid-day after Kichad(Mud) ki Holi.Now even when i am in my native i barely go to any place other than my close relative's house.

I am already out of the house but looks like you are imported from US. Doesn't know about Holi and Diwali stands to cultural facts of these festivals. Holi and Diwali is not just a festival of Colours and Firecrackers. On the occasion of Diwali and Holi, we offer new grains to God and only after offering them to God, they are used. Just like Pearl millet (Bajraa: Famous crop of Rajasthan) on Diwali and wheat on Holi. And most of the people don't know it.
I am an Assamese. I know about each and every customs about our bihus because people surrounding me along with my school taught me. We had our own Bihu festivals where we sang various songs and player various games related to the festives.

Correction - Diwaliya /Diwala word means bankruptcy , kindly only use Deepawali word , don't use same word used by other country people just because its difficult for them to pronounce. we have imported Diwali word from outside , instead should have used Deepavali or Deepawali.

In Kannada Diwali means Bankruptcy, I checked and found even in Hindi - Diwaliya/Diwala means Bankruptcy - then how could be used or festival name, when originally its still known as Deepawali/Deepavali/Dipavali.

In Kannada its called Deepavali, similar to Sanskrit word.

Knowing Kannada by anganwadi Teacher ,mandatory is understandable as children studying in govt school mostly prefer Kannada, yet it feels odd when they make urdu mandatory as pronunciation of alphabets of urdu language is different compared to Kannada.
urdu ,shouldn't be made mandatory ,only optional.

They could have instead included Tulu, Konkani & other languages.

Karnataka is not against Hindi, only against it's imposition , means they don't mind people learning the language. yet they also want people to learn spoken Kannada . which could be easily learnt since Kannada alphabets pronunciation is similar to Sanskirit to an extent even with some differences.

All of us also should fight against mixing of English words in Indian languages. most modern students sadly due to influence of English ,dont know many Kannada/ Indian Language/ words equivalent of some of the widely used English words . They end up speaking in Kanglish, Hinglish ,etc.

Festivals are still celebrated with same fervor in our state, it varies in cities they are trying to emulate western cities to show as modern. people in cities forget even western countries celebrate their culture, they don't stop celebrating it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom