Discussion Netflix CEO frustrated over failure in India, share fell 20% and more

• Thread starter iDJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 50
  • Views: Views 5,165

iDJ

Elite
Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong. Does it really say that they are frustrated about not being able to be more successful in Indian market?
If so. Why would they succeed? The shows they have been making lately targets the richest elites. One cannot care or could related to big weddings, dating or whatever the heck they got. Also the independent movies might be praised by the critics. It's boring to watch. They had one good show Sacred Games. After that name any original that hasn't sucked. Netflix has become the platform where bad movies like Chaman Bahar, Drive, Guilty etc. are dumped. They took a safe route of acquiring and ordering new episodes of successful YouTube shows. In coming years I don't see them having many originals.

Correct me if I am wrong. Does it really say that they are frustrated about not being able to be more successful in Indian market?
If so. Why would they succeed? The shows they have been making lately targets the richest elites. One cannot care or could related to big weddings, dating or whatever the heck they got. Also the independent movies might be praised by the critics. It's boring to watch. They had one good show Sacred Games. After that name any original that hasn't sucked. Netflix has become the platform where bad movies like Chaman Bahar, Drive, Guilty etc. are dumped. They took a safe route of acquiring and ordering new episodes of successful YouTube shows. In coming years I don't see them having many originals.
Netflix will not be successful as long as it keeps plan prices which are way beyond the reach of normal people.Afterall we are kitna deti hai type of people

Netflix will not be successful as long as it keeps plan prices which are way beyond the reach of normal people.Afterall we are kitna deti hai type of people
Also very few payment options are available for purchase.

The shows they have been making lately targets the richest elites. One cannot care or could related to big weddings, dating or whatever the heck they got. Also the independent movies might be praised by the critics. It's boring to watch. They had one good show Sacred Games. After that name any original that hasn't sucked. Netflix has become the platform where bad movies like Chaman Bahar, Drive, Guilty etc. are dumped. They took a safe route of acquiring and ordering new episodes of successful YouTube shows. In coming years I don't see them having many originals.
Netflix India has been slowly waking up to smell the filter coffee. It is slowly refocusing from a premium elite-driven strategy (which was the case until the pandemic, as well as in its early months) to a more mass-driven strategy. It is doing this through multiple methods, but only time will tell how successful it will be.
  • Slashing the prices to ₹199 per month for Basic, ₹499 per month for Standard and ₹649 per month for Premium, as well as promoting it using Alia Bhatt.
  • Bagging the rights of big-name Hindi movies like Sooryavanshi, RRR (Hindi) and Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui.
  • Launching mass-oriented series such as Aranyak, Kota Factory and Yeh Kaali Kaali Ankhein.
  • Adding more South films such as Jagame Thandhiram, Most Eligible Bachelor and Minnal Murali.
  • Promoting these extensively through social media and churning out videos on YouTube (though unless you are/were a big fan of Tanmay Bhat, you would do well to steer clear of the YouTube channel).
Plus Netflix will always be one of the biggest homes of Korean content, which are massively popular in India as well as Asia-Pacific. Indians’ love for Korean shows is far more than Squid Game; some may be surprised to see how popular some K-dramas (such as Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha and It’s Okay to Not Be Okay) are in India.

P.S. Chaman Bahar is not a bad film by any means. Sure, a majority of Netflix India originals have been disappointments: almost all the original movies released before Gunjan Saxena were bullsh*t. So were Ginny Weds Sunny, The Girl on the Train, Sardar Ka Grandson, etc. But every small film does not have to be bad. I have enjoyed many of their niche/offbeat movies such as Tribhanga, Skater Girl, Serious Men, Axone and the like. These films are hardly going to get any exposure on TV. It is best that some OTT platform gets their rights.

Personal Opinion : Netflix cannot be successful in India if they create content targeted for the 50 woke friends of their executives. The Indian content is so bad that it seems like it is created for some bad publicity and not for entertaining public.
In this country where every street is a new story, every city has a history and every culture has its own way of expression. They failed to bring good content?

Netflix has said recently it is focusing not just on the original content but also on having more local and regional content, especially in Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam. If they manage to add Sports also then it would surely increase subscribers.

They clearly have a lot of global content which have potential market in India and they are working on regional content. A few years ago I didn't find a lot of interesting shows there but now the library in India has grown. They are also buying rights of various popular movies like JollyLNB bro said.

Most people having subscription to all OTT would find spending more time of Netflix. Price was a hurdle which they have reduced, starting at Rs 149 per month which is not a lot for what you are getting.

Most people having subscription to all OTT would find spending more time of Netflix. Price was a hurdle which they have reduced, starting at Rs 149 per month which is not a lot for what you are getting.
Rs.149 wouldn't be much if screen wasn't limited. They have means to recognise devices under one subscription. They could give two devices to an individual for Rs.200. Disney+ Hotstar Premium plan with lot more content is offering way too much content at less than half the price of Netflix with even 4K content. With Warner Bros, strong originals and big bollywood releases every month even Prime is value for money. There is nothing premium about Netflix for them to charge so high amount.

Acquire IPL rights , and boom! Subscribers will go up within no time

They had one good show Sacred Games. After that name any original that hasn't sucked.
Ghoul, Delhi Crime, Jamtara, Ray, Aranyak, Decoupled, Kota Factory, Little Things, Upstarts, Choked, Bulbbul, Raat Akeli Hai, Ludo, AK vs. AK, Pagglait, Ajeeb Daastaans, Haseen Dilruba, Dhamaka, Minnal Murali.
(few of them are aquired)
These are the ones I can remember right now.
Meanwhile I can only name a few from other platforms. Or atleast ones that have left any impression on me.
And there's also the added benefit of International (English/Non-English) content.

Price was a hurdle which they have reduced, starting at Rs 149 per month which is not a lot for what you are getting.
True. Many of my friends whom I would've never expected to subscribe have suddenly subscribed to Netflix in the last month following the price drop. Previously I had to find people to split my bill, now everyone's asking me to join their Netflix splitting group.
The Ad campaign with Alia Bhatt sure did help I guess.
According to me, the pricing is perfectly appropriate now. It can't get any better.
I am probably getting double the value of what I am paying now. (don't tell Netflix:lol:)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock