Jio Network is facing major outage in Mumbai

• Thread starter Esmail
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 23
  • Views: Views 4,420
Good excuse. Anyway, I don't see Jio 5G happening before December 2023. Even if it happens, it will offload lot of 4G traffic and hence 4G speeds will be fastest on Jio. If speed problem persists with Jio, people will shift to Airtel for superior network in metros and Airtel ARPU will get boosted to 300. For now, Jio has to keep 4G and 5G tariffs different so that there won't be overload on network till 5G network expands to PAN India level. I don't see Jio covering 5G before 2025. Airtel has to work really hard to match Jios coverage and maintain speeds like Vi in order to upgrade like Jio 5G. Airtel should focus on making band 1 20Mhz wherever possible and band 40 40Mhz where its not.
Jio is already preparing the network core for 5G in Metros and tier-A cities on the hardware and software front so that immediately after the spectrum auction they can deploy the network as soon as DoT allots them the spectrum. Yes it will be a couple of years before they can achieve the same level of Pan India coverage as their 4G network but major cities may get it as early as this year end provided the auction happens in the next 6 months.

Jio is already preparing the network core for 5G in Metros and tier-A cities on the hardware and software front so that immediately after the spectrum auction they can deploy the network as soon as DoT allots them the spectrum. Yes it will be a couple of years before they can achieve the same level of Pan India coverage as their 4G network but major cities may get it as early as this year end provided the auction happens in the next 6 months.
Once you leave metro cities, network will switch to 4G and that will lead to battery drain and hence people will switch to Airtel once this year ends or whenever their Jio pack ends. And I believe Jio will keep the tariffs high for 5G unlike 4G. They have tested enough this time around so they should differentiate the tariffs atleast till 5G is covered PAN India.

Once you leave metro cities, network will switch to 4G and that will lead to battery drain and hence people will switch to Airtel once this year ends or whenever their Jio pack ends. And I believe Jio will keep the tariffs high for 5G unlike 4G. They have tested enough this time around so they should differentiate the tariffs atleast till 5G is covered PAN India.
I don't get the battery drain argument, if 4G causes battery drain then it would be happening now even. The 5G will be available within a particular city, once the person moves out of the city they can just switch the network mode to 4G, it's not like the phone will be constantly switching between 4G and 5G so there won't be any additional battery drain. Those who want to switch to Airtel can do it now even, they don't need to wait for Jio to launch 5G.

I don't get the battery drain argument, if 4G causes battery drain then it would be happening now even. The 5G will be available within a particular city, once the person moves out of the city they can just switch the network mode to 4G, it's not like the phone will be constantly switching between 4G and 5G so there won't be any additional battery drain. Those who want to switch to Airtel can do it now even, they don't need to wait for Jio to launch 5G.
I guess you haven't used when Airtel was upgrading network between 2016-2019. It was only when 2020 March, Airtel stabilised in Mumbai circle. Its not optimized as well. Unless and until you don't lock the bands you will have battery drain on Airtel network. Since Vi is integrated(January to March 2021), people have moved to Vi and hence load on Airtel network reduced and hence battery drain is reduced. Similar kind of issue it was there in 2016 when only band 3 was there and band 1 was utilized was 3G. There used to be continuous switch between 3G and 4G and hence it resulted into battery drain. Similar things will happen on Jio as well. 10Mhz on each 600Mhz/700Mhz plus 100Mhz in n78 is what Jio will take and if I know Indian smartphones very well(even for that matter Samsung), then Jio network will keep switching between n78/ 4G on band 40 and 4G on band 5 which will result into battery drain. Those who want to peacefully enjoy the Jio network can lock the band 3/n28/n71. But for sure battery drain will be there. Even though we can lock the mode to 5G but it will get by default to 4G for voice calls. VoNR isn't ready for many phones as well Jio VoNR is not as good as it seems to be. Have tried and tested it in Kamla Mills, so can confidently say that.

Also, people have recharged yearly in November. I doubt anybody will be in mood to switch to Jio 5G. Its just hype as it was in 2016, it has lowered down. Those who want quality network data speeds, prefer Airtel and Vi in city limits. Yes, Jio VoLTE and Jio 4G coverage is impeccable but even today after six years and rigorous planning of so many years, payment on UPI on Jio network fails at peak times in metro areas.

Last edited:
I guess you haven't used when Airtel was upgrading network between 2016-2019. It was only when 2020 March, Airtel stabilised in Mumbai circle. Its not optimized as well. Unless and until you don't lock the bands you will have battery drain on Airtel network. Since Vi is integrated(January to March 2021), people have moved to Vi and hence load on Airtel network reduced and hence battery drain is reduced. Similar kind of issue it was there in 2016 when only band 3 was there and band 1 was utilized was 3G. There used to be continuous switch between 3G and 4G and hence it resulted into battery drain. Similar things will happen on Jio as well. 10Mhz on each 600Mhz/700Mhz plus 100Mhz in n78 is what Jio will take and if I know Indian smartphones very well(even for that matter Samsung), then Jio network will keep switching between n78/ 4G on band 40 and 4G on band 5 which will result into battery drain. Those who want to peacefully enjoy the Jio network can lock the band 3/n28/n71. But for sure battery drain will be there. Even though we can lock the mode to 5G but it will get by default to 4G for voice calls. VoNR isn't ready for many phones as well Jio VoNR is not as good as it seems to be. Have tried and tested it in Kamla Mills, so can confidently say that.

Also, people have recharged yearly in November. I doubt anybody will be in mood to switch to Jio 5G. Its just hype as it was in 2016, it has lowered down. Those who want quality network data speeds, prefer Airtel and Vi in city limits. Yes, Jio VoLTE and Jio 4G coverage is impeccable but even today after six years and rigorous planning of so many years, payment on UPI on Jio network fails at peak times in metro areas.
Jio network unlike Airtel and Vi is end to end IP, so they don't have the analogue and digital divide to manage, which is why the transition from 4G to 5G will be way smoother for Jio than it will be for Airtel and Vi. Also jio will ensure that the network is fully optimised within the city limits before making it live commercially so that the switching doesn't happen. The 5G will be launched in both Standalone and non standalone modes so that only phones that don't support VoNR have to switch to 4G for VoLTE. also the major chunk of the subscribe base will continue to use 4G only handsets as the typical device upgrade cycle is of 2 to 3 years and by the time they upgrade to a 5G phone, Jio 5G network will have blanket coverage within city limits. So for the 4G handset users there won't be any downside, on the contrary some of the data load will be offloaded onto 5G thus improving the 4G network speeds and probably attracting Airtel and Vi subscribers to move to Jio for that reason.

Jio network unlike Airtel and Vi is end to end IP, so they don't have the analogue and digital divide to manage, which is why the transition from 4G to 5G will be way smoother for Jio than it will be for Airtel and Vi. Also jio will ensure that the network is fully optimised within the city limits before making it live commercially so that the switching doesn't happen. The 5G will be launched in both Standalone and non standalone modes so that only phones that don't support VoNR have to switch to 4G for VoLTE. also the major chunk of the subscribe base will continue to use 4G only handsets as the typical device upgrade cycle is of 2 to 3 years and by the time they upgrade to a 5G phone, Jio 5G network will have blanket coverage within city limits. So for the 4G handset users there won't be any downside, on the contrary some of the data load will be offloaded onto 5G thus improving the 4G network speeds and probably attracting Airtel and Vi subscribers to move to Jio for that reason.
Fair enough. But this doesn't justify the switching between technologies, let alone bands. Phones don't have all the bands currently. 600Mhz is not supported on all the phones yet. Nowhere in world VoNR has started perfectly. It's a incremental game and things won't be smoother for Jio as well. Even though last thing I agree, I have doubts about those. Let's see how things PAN out for all three telcos. Excited to see superfast speeds on Jio after 5G deployment. More importantly, we need fiber to home everywhere in the country than 5G in next three years.

Jio's compensatory 2 day validity pack got credited in my account but they are offering only 1.5 GB/day even though my existing base plan is of 2 GB/day. They should have just extended the base plan validity by 2 days so it picks up the existing base plan benefits.

Today I got the recorded apology call and SMS from Jio about the network outage, claiming it's all up and running now and restart your phone if you are still facing issues.

Today I got the recorded apology call and SMS from Jio about the network outage, claiming it's all up and running now and restart your phone if you are still facing issues.
I am still facing issues on Jio-Jio call as well as data.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock