Google Is Gearing Up To Finally Introduce Play Store Gift Cards And A Wishlist

Raviteja

Contributor
Reaction score
A new Google Play Store v3.8.15 apk started rolling out to Android devices today, but upon running through its UI, I was unable to uncover anything different from the versions before that. Yet the apk size gained a few pounds kilobytes, and not knowing what the 300KB of code and resources added was killing me. Not to worry, a few minutes later, I decoded both 3.7.15 and 3.8.15 and compared their contents.

Play Store Gift Cards

What I found inarguably points to Google gearing up to finally release redeemable Play Store gift cards - something we've been anxiously waiting for since the Android Market started supporting paid apps. Earlier this year, Google renewed our hopes by adding the ability to have a Play Store balance for those who purchase a Nexus 7. This put us one step closer to gift cards, but there was still nothing concrete. What I have here today is more than concrete - it's solid evidence.
One additional interesting detail regarding gift cards popped up in the code - the Play Store is now set to intercept links to play.google.com/redeem, which currently returns a "404 page not found" error.

Mathias Tillman was able to get a screenshot of the Redeem Activity by compiling a hacked apk.

nexusae0_gc_thumb1.jpg
nexusae0_zZV9B_thumb.png

Shen Ye used Mathias' apk to get a few more showing the wishlist and the new menu.Check them all out below.

Wishlist

In addition to adding the ability to redeem Play Store gift cards, Google is going to add a wishlist where you can add apps, books, TV shows, movies, music, and magazines. I'm not sure what exactly the point of this wishlist would be (maybe later it can turn into a cart), but presumably you'll be able to add the aforementioned types of content into a list and then buy later, perhaps after redeeming a gift card (this would explain why the two features are being added together).

nexusae0_bVVu2_thumb.png
nexusae0_BCBVp_thumb.png

Source

Nice move by google play. :k

^^ Images are watermarked with copyright. :p

dreamdth said:
^^ Images are watermarked with copyright. :p

Edit: I have crossed you in post count by 1 post. :hehe

Didn't see the W'mark :p

BOOOOOOOOO :p

Google Play gift cards are real - and here's what they look like

We've already seen the Google Play Store app getting prepped for gift cards -- and now we've scored the cards themselves. (Or, at least, a look at the outer wrapping.) We've been slipped a few pics of $10 and $25 gift cards, clearly branded for Google Play, with "Music Movies Books Apps & More" listed at the bottom.

It'll be interesting to see how they get positioned at retail alongside the likes of iTunes and Barnes & Noble and lord knows how many other gift cards, but this much is certain -- that triangular logo we were never too sure about should stand out pretty well.

Also unknown is where, exactly, the cards will be available. On a micro level, that means individual stores. Best Buy? Target? Wallmart? We'll see. But nearly as important is the global level. Developers hate seeing U.S.-only launches and, frankly, we're not fond of them either. (Not like we'll turn it down, but we'd prefer everyone has a chance to play. Google likely would agree.)

So, yeah. Gift cards are coming, and it looks like they're coming sooner rather than later.

We've got a couple more pics after the break for good measure.

google-play-cards.jpg

google-play-cards-2.jpg

google-play-cards-3.jpg

Source

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock