Google I/O 2016: Chrome OS is getting Play Store and Android apps

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Google I/O 2016 is proving to be an interesting one with a lot of key announcements taking place. Being a developer conference, the post-keynote sessions for developers offer them an early glimpse at what Google has been working on. And this also includes something that wasn’t announced at the keynote. One of the developer session lined up for today goes with the title – ‘Bring your Android app to Chrome OS,’ 9TO5Google reports. This could be a good enough hint at much rumored and highly anticipated developments on the Chrome OS front.

Sure, lack of apps is one of the biggest drawbacks of the Chrome OS and the ability to run Android apps on Chrome OS would make it interesting. As of now, it’s not clear as to how the integration will play out, but it could be something similar to Microsoft’s Universal Apps. With Windows 10, Microsoft also gave developers with the required tools to create and code apps that would run on smartphones, tablets and PC. The move also gives a good opportunity to developers to create apps with for wider audience.

Google’s session notes suggest that developers may need to slightly tweak their apps to run flawlessly on Chrome OS. However, there could be some implications too, as the OS may not support to run all the apps. Also, details on when Play Store will make its way to the Chrome OS are scarce at the moment. However, for more information, we will have to wait until the sessions commences.

To encourage developers to port their apps to Chrome OS, Google will be giving them sessions on optimizing apps for Chromebook. That’s not all; Google will also be giving the first 50 developers a Chromebook so they can start building and optimizing their apps for the Chrome OS.

At the I/O 2016, Google also announced its Android VR platform Daydream, massive Android Wear 2.0 update with new features and improvements, Allo and Duo – messaging and video apps, Google Home, a Wi-Fi enabled speaker and an upgraded version of Google Now, the Google Assistant.

Google I/O 2016: Chrome OS is getting Play Store and Android apps | Latest Tech News, Video & Photo Reviews at BGR India

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock