Discussion Future Sony Picture's Sports Network

SPN should immediately need to replace their CEO NP Singh. He don't have any Idea of marketing
Firstly, he shut down Animax and receive a huge amount of negative response from Anemi fans including me....
*Then rebrand Sports Channels with worse logos and now SONY sports channels looks very cheap because of their logos
*And then lost IPL rights
*Why don't he go with Globally bid for IPL like Star. While he have ESPN around all over the world to show IPL

SPN should immediately need to replace their CEO NP Singh. He don't have any Idea of marketing
Firstly, he shut down Animax and receive a huge amount of negative response from Anemi fans including me....
*Then rebrand Sports Channels with worse logos and now SONY sports channels looks very cheap because of their logos
*Why don't he go with Globally bid for IPL like Star. While he have ESPN around all over the world to show IPL
Salute Bhai .. .Very Wonderful Saying....

*Firstly, he shut down Animax and receive a huge amount of negative response from Anemi fans including me....
  • Animax catered to niche audience and that was something that Sony did not want. They learnt that most kids enjoy 'Indianized' animation content that started with Pogo and adopted by other players in the market such as Nick and Disney. This content has the market and Sony needs business. They thought more viewership can be dragged to the animation and content tailored for kids in India and thought their niche audience can go further and watch the channel on Sony LIV. They did not shut the channel down but moved it away from TV.
  • Sports channels rebrand was a great move but the disastrous logo designs have killed the hype they created. They literally had no brains when approving those designs and I still believe this is temporary and the channels will have new logos soon. But this alone doesn't make the channels cheap. Don't judge a book by the cover; channel by the logo.
  • They did not lose the IPL rights, they didn't win it. Sony in fact, was the highest bidder for TV rights and they were probably thinking nobody would go for global rights as aggressively as Star did. Despite bidding 5K Crore more than Star for TV rights, they could not win it.
NP Singh might appear to be a not-so-successful CEO but keep in mind that CEO alone is not responsible for everything. For business reasons, he had to take decisions to move Animax to digital platform and replace it with a channel that would cater to more audience and generate more revenue.

Acquisition of TEN was a biggest move in Indian sports TV history and that was from the administrative decision of the same CEO. Logos should not always be the main thing to discuss, probably his administrative decisions masked the creative decisions.

Regarding IPL rights, CEO alone doesn't go and bid for this to an amount he thinks randomly and outbid other players. That is a decision discussed and taken with the key personnel above CEO. Also, if they are bidding aggressively, they need to have the amount that they bid in their kitty. There might have been financial reasons too for not going for global rights and sticking to TV.

Still the logo is a big distraction and it's bloody cheap. Well, they could have run a competition for the new logos and for sure, many creative people would have responded to it . I hope the logo changes in the coming days. Take look at Eurosport or Sky sports, minimalistic yet elegant.

All the Indian broadcasters have the knack of cranking up the logo size to occupy at least a major chunk of the screen.

On the serious note, I agree with what @ zaxotes mentioned here. Indian television is still not matured for niche content. Look at Animax, UTV World Movies, TCM, Nat Geo HD (earlier used to show great shows) and they have either disappeared or have changed their programming.

Anime is a lot mature, action and emotion filled genre than the average Desi / American animation which are for mainly toddlers and young kids. All the major kids networks in India, at present, are targeting this group to maximise their growth. Anime is truly niche and cannot have mass following like Chota Bheem.
But if Hindi audio would have been added by Animax, then there would have been a positive effect. Hungama has done a great job in making Doraemon, Shinchan, Kochikame, etc household names by broadcasting in Hindi, although they are Anime.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock