Sad News From July 2018 M2M number will be of 13 digit. All 10 digit existing M2M numbers will be changed to 13 digit number max by October 2018

• Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 25
  • Views: Views 8,432
These M2M devices are not the ones used in your home but mainly by the enterprise segment for their business needs, like for example as the article states, Airtel's M2M offerings include Smart Metering, Asset Tracking Solutions, Equipment Monitoring Solutions and Traffic Management Solution. So commercial retail mobile number series that operators issue sims for currently start with 9xxxxxxxxx, 8xxxxxxxxx, 7xxxxxxxxx, and recently started with 6xxxxxxxxx. Once these M2M sims get migrated to 13 digit format then the series starting with 5xxxxxxxxx, 4xxxxxxxxx, 3xxxxxxxxx, 2xxxxxxxxx, 1xxxxxxxxx will also become open to commercial retail mobile use. This will be sufficient to cater to the growing number of wireless users for the next few years without needing to progress to 11 digit mobile numbers.
Along with this, the number of mobile operators is reducing due to mergers and acquisitions leading to consolidation of telecom sector (Down from 14 few years back to 4 by next year). Where a single user used to have multiple sims of different operators (one for calling, another for data, one for home circle another for roaming, etc.) this trend is now changing in favour of single sim usage thanks to all in one bundle plans launched by operators after Jio's entry. The reduction in multi sim ecosystem will in turn lead to an increase in number of dormant sims which will be deactivated by operators and then the numbers will be recycled. This will further delay the need to moving to 11 digit mobile numbers.

Wow I don't know that we hv more than 100 crore smart devices in our country. More smart devices than people :eek:

I saw article on today's telugu newspaper about clarification from DOT on this, it is mentioned that 13 digits would be only for M2M sim cards and reason mentioned is security concerns (not sure how).

Birth control is only way out of this problem :lol:

Minor reason coz minimum 13 years need to use a sim(mobile) by a person from birth :)

But major reason is multiple sim usuage by single person till before buy jio i used different sim's for tt & ratecutter benefits in regular intervals in secondary sim slot

But after Jio i completely stopped that even other network also stopped to sale sim's like that now

So this could be the reason I guess for number starvation

Last edited:
Minor reason coz minimum 13 years need to use a sim(mobile) by a person from birth :)

But major reason is multiple sim usuage by single person till before buy jio i used different sim's for tt & ratecutter benefits in regular intervals in secondary sim slot

But after Jio i completely stopped that even other network also stopped to sale sim's like that now

So this could be the reason I guess for number starvation

People might hv multiple sim but he is not using all SIMs so telcos are free to disconnect those but for some strange reason they are not doing it.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock