Sad News From July 2018 M2M number will be of 13 digit. All 10 digit existing M2M numbers will be changed to 13 digit number max by October 2018

• Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 25
  • Views: Views 8,434
The article is confusing. My mobile number will change or not. Everyone thinks it's mobile number.

Yes i have the same doubt.. i have the fancy number for the past 12years ××××333999.
Are they gonna change user mobile numbers to 13digit or its internally for the telecom company. Anyone can please clarify.

Check page 4 of the technical document publication posted in post #10. M2M connections are defined there. Basically anything which is connected are M2M so yes they are changing.

After 2 digit country code(+91) there will be 13 digit number. Page 19 of that technical paper :eek:k:

Last edited:
This will apply for Machine to Machine (M2M) sims not for normal peer to peer (P2P) communication for mobile users. if at all there is an increase for mobile number digits it will increase to 11 in a couple of years on increase in telly density, won't skip ahead to 13.
Using Peer to peer is not right. Bcoz P2P means in same network.

DoT orders telcos to implement 13-digit scheme for SIM-based M2M connection

Check out this article by ETTelecom it clarifies the point that you have a confusion on. It specifies that the clarification by DoT states that the 13 digit scheme will be implemented only for machine to machine communication sims issued to the enterprise segment not for commercial telecommunication sims issued to the retail mobile consumers. This move will free up the existing 10 digit M2M numbers which can then be reassigned for commercial retail telecommunication.

Last edited:
DoT orders telcos to implement 13-digit scheme for SIM-based M2M connection

Check out this article by ETTelecom it clarifies the point that you have a confusion on. It specifies that the clarification by DoT states that the 13 digit scheme will be implemented only for machine to machine communication sims issued to the enterprise segment not for commercial telecommunication sims issued to the retail mobile consumers. This move will free up the existing 10 digit M2M numbers which can then be reassigned for commercial retail telecommunication.

How many automated M2M devices you hv in your home which have SIM built in except mobile ? I hv none in my home. If this is the case in all over india then I am not sure how all 10 digit numbers gets used up and 13 digit number needs to be implemented. 10 digit numbers means 100 crore numbers and it's not a small number that will be exhausted by M2M devices unless you count mobile phones.

Am I missing something ?

Last edited:
How many automated M2M devices you hv in your home which have SIM built in except mobile ? I hv none in my home. I am sure most Indian home does not have it. If this is the case in all over india then I am not sure how all 10 digit numbers gets used up and 13 digit number needs to be implemented. 10 digit numbers means 100 crore numbers and it's not a small number that will be exhausted by M2M devices unless you count mobile phones.

Am I missing something ?
These M2M devices are not the ones used in your home but mainly by the enterprise segment for their business needs, like for example as the article states, Airtel's M2M offerings include Smart Metering, Asset Tracking Solutions, Equipment Monitoring Solutions and Traffic Management Solution. So commercial retail mobile number series that operators issue sims for currently start with 9xxxxxxxxx, 8xxxxxxxxx, 7xxxxxxxxx, and recently started with 6xxxxxxxxx. Once these M2M sims get migrated to 13 digit format then the series starting with 5xxxxxxxxx, 4xxxxxxxxx, 3xxxxxxxxx, 2xxxxxxxxx, 1xxxxxxxxx will also become open to commercial retail mobile use. This will be sufficient to cater to the growing number of wireless users for the next few years without needing to progress to 11 digit mobile numbers.
Along with this, the number of mobile operators is reducing due to mergers and acquisitions leading to consolidation of telecom sector (Down from 14 few years back to 4 by next year). Where a single user used to have multiple sims of different operators (one for calling, another for data, one for home circle another for roaming, etc.) this trend is now changing in favour of single sim usage thanks to all in one bundle plans launched by operators after Jio's entry. The reduction in multi sim ecosystem will in turn lead to an increase in number of dormant sims which will be deactivated by operators and then the numbers will be recycled. This will further delay the need to moving to 11 digit mobile numbers.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock