Food Talks - A thread dedicated to all Foodies out there

• Thread starter Thread starter ramesh skyPLAY
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 4,549
  • Views Views: Views 419,629
Puri Bhaji 😋😋

TdB5AbX.jpg

Yesterday, I started my next batch of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). :cap2:
This time I am trying a new method which I think is better than the previous method I used.
This method can be used to make any - ANY - fruit based vinegar. You could use pineapple, orange, peach, grape, grapefruit, etc, etc. It's simple if you do it right - you get the idea.

Remember: The Bacteria that makes vinegar needs alcohol, oxygen, and a relatively sugar free environment. But the yeast that makes the alcohol needs a high sugar low oxygen environment.

So you first have to allow the yeast to ferment the sugar (Fruit Juice) into alcohol using an airlock to keep Oxygen away. Once the yeast has converted the sugar (Fruit Juice) to alcohol (3-7 days) you can add the vinegar mother (bacteria) and start the process of converting alcohol to acetic acid (Vinegar).

In short, here is the 2 Step process, method I am using now to make raw unpasturised ACV.

First Step: Bought a mixed variety of Apples and juiced them. Put the juice into a glass jar and add wine yeast (ratio of 5g to 10 Litre). Put a airtight lid with the airlock (see picture below). The air lock is a one way system. It prevents the outside air to come in contact with the fermenting juice and on the other hand allows Carbon Dioxide to escape out of the jar.

Second Step: Once the bubbling (gas formation) stops (3-7 days), put (mix) some old ACV into the jar which will start the actual vinegar making process. Tie a cheese cloth on the mouth of the jar so that the air can pass though but insects cannot. After 2-3 Weeks the Vinegar is ready. If you want your Vinegar with stronger taste, you can wait longer time so that it matures. A thin semi transparent layer will form on the Vinegar called Mother which you can store for later use.

Please Note: I bought the airlock and the wine yeast from a Bangalore based website. The instruments are not very costly. On that website, you can also buy a good quality Food grade bucket with Airlock already installed and ready to use. Other wine/bear making equipment are also available there at very reasonable rates. Please PM me if you need the name of the website.
You can also make this Vinegar without the wine yeast and the airlock. In that case the process will take much longer as the natural yeast in the juice will take some time to develop. For the Airlock you can use a Surgical Glove or a balloon and make 1-2 pin holes to let the air (gas) escape.

Caution :
1) DO NOT use the normal bakers yeast (used in bread and baking) available in the market. If you use normal baker yeast then the resulting Vinegar will not taste that good.
2) Make sure your hands and instruments are very clean during the entire process.

Happy brewing .... :geek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom