Financial scams targeting Indians

• Thread starter Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 25
  • Views Views: Views 2,480
A retired senior executive of a multinational firm was coerced and duped into paying Rs 85 lakh by a gang posing as CBI, customs, narcotics, and income-tax officers - all on Skype

"I started rating the hotels etc. With these tasks, there were some investment tasks too where I invested Rs 50,000 first, but I couldn't withdraw the money from the website," Kumar said. When attempted to withdraw money, he was asked to pay an additional Rs 5 lakh as tax, he further added. This way, he ended up investing Rs 20,54,464.

"They asked me to pay Rs 5 lakh more as tax to their account, where I got to know that I have been a victim of financial fraud. I am not able to withdraw my approximately Rs 20,54,464 invested money," Kumar said in his statement to the police.

A 48-year-old Ludhiana resident fell victim to a cyber scam while attempting to start a Domino's franchise. The man lost Rs 20.77 lakh to fraudsters posing as representatives of the pizza chain.

Cyber fraudsters have now devised a new modus operandi to cheat unsuspecting people, making phone calls in the guise of police officers and claiming that a relative has been arrested in a narcotics case and that the charges would be dropped if a bribe is paid.

Posing as officials of the telecom and the Mumbai Crime Branch, cyber fraudsters intimidated a 77-year-old woman for almost 20 days before swindling a total of ₹1.2 crore.

These scam is mostly done in our country at every year. They target those people via the android apps mostly fake apps like loan apps. They also target only those with big amount of money coz they already aware of their financial statements and bank account details. We seen so many cases.
In very rare cases, a techie person may victim fall in cyber. Most of low income person didn't get these fraudsters unless he'she is doing some crazy things over internet with sharing person things via social media or other websties.

Back
Top Bottom