Discussion Xiaomi Mi A2

Source

Initial impressions:
- Fluid than Nokia 7+. I'm thinking of making this as my primary phone. Only thing that prevents me to do is Google camera night sight, which can't run here, but it can on Nokia 7+
- PUBG performance improvement. I play in balanced mode at high frame rate, so did notice improvement
- New system navigation gestures
- Will edit this when I test battery life for around a week

Almost 1.5 days tested:

PROS:
- Better battery life. Used to get around 3-4 hrs of SOT earlier. Now it goes to as far as 6-7 hours on normal usage (like WhatsApp, Chrome browsing and Twitter).
- When gaming, like PUBG, battery reduces 5% in 30 mins now, while in my Nokia 7+ too, 5% in 30 min. Both on Android P.
- PUBG performance improvement. Lag free gaming with Balanced setting and High Frame rate, provided you have good internet connection with less ping

NEUTRAL:
- Camera performance still the same, no major changes.

CONS:
- No Camera2 API LEVEL_3, or even FULL support (occasionally translated to Level 2). This means you can't have Google Camera ported run on this phone.
- Headphone plugging in, via the official 3.5 mm converter, is painfully slow. It takes anywhere between 10-15 seconds just to recognize that the headphone was plugged in. Otherwise the sound plays from the speaker. Headphone disconnect is immediately recognized thankfully.
- There is a bug with the launcher where sometimes the search bar and the dock appear elevated from their normal position
- Moreover, there is a huge gap between the dock and the search bar, which makes the home screen look somewhat awful
- Earlier when you used to finish setup, you would be redirected to which extra apps to install within the setup itself. Now, it will start installing the apps while you're in setup. If you want to cancel installation of any of them, you will have to sign in to Play Store, and then go to My Apps to cancel the installation.
- Vodafone 4G has slowed down considerably. Earlier in my hostel room balcony, I used to get 4 MBps with Vodafone on Mi A2, while close to 3 MBps on 7+. Now after the Pie update, the 7+ still gives me 3 MBps, but Mi A2 now gives me only around 2.5 MBps. My friend's Mi A2 on Oreo still gives me around 4MBps. Jio 4G speed however is same on both the phones
- Vodafone VoLTE gets disconnected at times, even if we select LTE only after going to *#*#4636#*#*

COMPARISON WITH NOKIA 7+:
- Mi A2 is free from the occasional lags (Screen hang, Keyboard keys unpressable at times) on the Nokia 7+
- Better gaming performance than the Nokia 7+ on PUBG and Asphalt 9 (I get more with the same settings on both using Mi A2 than the 7+)
- Camera2 LEVEL_3 support on 7+ compared to LEGACY support on Mi A2. Shame on Xiaomi, SHAME
- Headphone jack recognition instant on 7+, painfully slow on Mi A2 (Another breaking point)

I'm appaled at the way Nokia software is right now compared to the one on Xiaomi, which usually no one expects because of the issues with MIUI. Though there are major improvements in the software, there are major stepbacks as well.

Conclusion: I'm sticking to Nokia 7+ for now. If Xiaomi manages to resolve the headphone recognition issue, maybe then I'll think of moving to it, otherwise the 7+ is there for me.

Last edited:
Is This Worth Of Rs.11,999?
You should rather go for a Nokia android phone if you want stock android with security patches every month. Worth mentioning they give better hardware than Xiaomi.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock