• Replies Replies: Replies 13
  • Views Views: Views 9,609

mmadhankumar

The Earth will be better without Us..
Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
This tutorial will be mainly useful for webmasters and forum admins who want to test new features, themes or plugins before they are added, and mybb developers can code new plugins and test it before releasing it.

Advantages:
  • No internet needed. You can test any feature/ plugin offline without any internet connection.
  • No FTP needed. No hassle of uploading files to your server in order to test it.

Ok... lets start...

STEP 1: In order to run a website you need a server to host it. There are various web server softwares available and i prefer WAMP and XAMPP. Download one of the software by clicking on their name. I chose WAMP.

STEP 2: Install the WAMP server. By default it get installed at C:/wamp but you can change the installation directory if you want. I installed it at D:/wamp

STEP 3: At the end of the installation, you will be asked to choose the default browser. I chose Chrome.

STEP 4: Jut Accept the PHP mail parameters as it is.

STEP 5: Now you will find this icon on the task bar. Click on it >> Start all Services, Put the server Online and then click on phpMyAdmin (second option from top)

STEP 6: Once you Click on phpMyAdmin, You will see the phpMyadmin database page. Create a new database with any name. I named it mybb

STEP 7: Download mybb software and extract its contents.

STEP 8: Open the installation directory, in this case D:/wamp and you will have a folder named www. Open the folder and create a new folder with any name (i named it mybb) and copy the extracted mybb files here.

STEP 9: Launch your browser and open localhost/mybb/install. You will get the mybb installation screen. Proceed with the installation.

STEP 10: Enter the Database username as root and password blank. Database Name will the name of the database you created at phpMyAdmin (in this case mybb)

STEP 11: Enter a Admin username and password. Admin email will be admin@localhost

STEP 12: Once the installation is complete. Launch your browser and open localhost/mybb and your test forum is ready.

you can also use xampp
and this process is going to slow down your computer , so, better use Free Hosting Service Which Can Be Found Here : www.x10hosting.com/

ssparikshya said:
you can also use xampp
and this process is going to slow down your computer , so, better use Free Hosting Service Which Can Be Found Here : www.x10hosting.com/

yes bro i have already mentioned about xampp.
i am using wamp for a long time. but i havent faced any slowing down on my computer. its good as ever.
yes there are lot of free hosting. i have used quite a few. problem with the free hosting is, server overload at most time. its a known fact that paid servers get high bandwidth than free ones. but in local server we can work offline without depending on others ;)

Good job as ever my dear bro, But one thing pl Elaborate about server and which is the server as you mention local server I didn't get the point pl tell me ?

My second query is if a forum site is created by any free hosting then is it possible to Install or update it with mybb and make the Interface like our DDF ??

Yes, you can install mybb in free hosting but the interface will not be like ddf as many custom editings are done here from the theme to plugins and profiles to postbit etc. But it is not recommanded to run mybb on a free server as they provide very low bandwidth which will run your site very slow and may end up getting sql database errors.

jenius-jatt said:
Good job as ever my dear bro, But one thing pl Elaborate about server and which is the server as you mention local server I didn't get the point pl tell me ?

My second query is if a forum site is created by any free hosting then is it possible to Install or update it with mybb and make the Interface like our DDF ??

few scripts like php db, sql need a server package to run. servers are usually remote computers with the server software package, which will host your website.
in this case we are installing the server package(like WAMP) on our computer itself. so our computer acts as a server. and we can install any scripts/software for testing purpose. usually developers prefer this method to test their products (like themes, plugins, and other codes) as this is easy, independent, cheap and fast.
hope you are clear now. if not pls let me know.

dreamdth said:
Yes, you can install mybb in free hosting but the interface will not be like ddf as many custom editings are down here from the theme to plugins and profile, postbit etc. But it is not recommanded to run mybb on a free server as they provide very low bandwidth which will run your site very slow and may be sql error will come.

@jenius-jatt i agree the same. as admin said free hosting will not give you enough bandwidth and the site will be slow and will have sql errors.

dhananjaylamb said:
how to use with filezilla? can you explain?

bro why do you need filezilla. we can actually use it offline. no internet and FTP needed. for example, if you want to add a plugin just download the plugin, extract the zip files, copy the plugin file and paste it inside the D:/wamp/mybb/inc/plugins folder and activate it from the Admin CP. to open the Admin CP, launch a browser and open http://localhost/mybb/admin/index.php

Back
Top Bottom