The Cricket Chat Thread !!

• Thread starter Thread starter Karthik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 562
  • Views Views: Views 38,076
RE: Cricket In Daily Newspapers

The big challenge for Men in Blue: To find 11 fit players

ofmyds.jpg

SOUTHAMPTON: The battalion is severely wounded and the battle is far from over. Skipper MS Dhoni faces a huge ask as his team takes on England in the second ODI on Tuesday. Injury after injury has derailed India's campaign on this tour. Another grievous blow was dealt to the visitors on Monday when Sachin Tendulkar was ruled out of the one-day series.

With the master gone, India were left counting the fit men who could take the pitch Tuesday. Rohit Sharma's replacement Manoj Tiwary is expected to arrive on the morning of the match. To make matters worse, Gautam Gambhir's replacement Ravindra Jadeja is stuck in India with visa delays and is expected to join in only after the second ODI. The situation indeed is grim for Team India.

Things have come to such a pass that India were left with only six batsmen in the squad on Monday and they might be forced to play with five bowlers, if the team management does not take a risk with Tiwary. The tension in the camp was evidenced by the way coach Duncan Fletcher and Dhoni confabulated for a long time before the training.

The problems did not end here. Just before the team's net practice, rain started pouring in and it was enough to spoil the day and leave the boys high and dry. There are predictions of more rain in the late evening and early morning. The forecast is that the clouds might clear up just before the ODI, day-nighter, at the Rose Bowl stadium.

Now, all eyes will be on Dhoni - how he uses his resources against an opponent who is confident. The Indian captain is faced with a big challenge. The good part is that the first match at Chester-le-Street went off well for the visitors. They would, probably, have won the match but for rains. In that game, the top-order clicked, there were some good partnerships, the batsmen ran hard between the wickets and had answers to England's short-pitch deliveries. However, a freak injury to Rohit Sharma saw India losing some momentum just before the 40th over of their innings. Otherwise, it was a good beginning for India.

On the bowling front, Praveen Kumar looked good in the first one-dayer although the the fifth bowling option remains a worry.

Newspaper: Times of India,Sep 6, 2011,

Team India in England: Battered from head to toe
Article.

29gn3w0.jpg

Team India's core has been shattered by non-stop cricket and recurring injuries. Now, Sachin Tendulkar too is out of the ongoing tour of England, giving the squad a distinctly war-wounded look.

Virender Sehwag: Yet to recover from surgery on shoulder and hearing problem in left ear. Played 2 Tests; hurt again and ruled out of ODI series.

Gautam Gambhir: Blurred vision & vomiting due to concussion. Needs long rest, doubtful for Champions League.

Harbhajan Singh: Stomach injury. Ruled out of ODI series.

Yuvraj Singh: Fractured finger; missed Windies tour due to lung infection. Ruled out of ODI series.

Zaheer Khan: Ankle injury followed hamstring trouble during the Test series. Underwent surgery on ankle.

Rohit Sharma: Fractured index finger of the right hand. Ruled out of ODI series.

Ishant Sharma: Injured left ankle. Will undergo surgery after Australia series. Will be out for six months after that.

Sachin Tendulkar: Injury on big toe. Ruled out of ODI series; doubtful for CL.
Newspaper: The Times of India,Sep 6, 2011,

Australia eye series win over Sri Lanka

30vp25i.jpg

PALLEKELE: Michael Clarke will look to put his first Test series as Australia's captain beyond Sri Lanka's reach when the second match opens in Pallekele on Thursday.

The tourists won the first Test on a controversial dusty wicket in Galle by 125 runs last week to take the lead in the three-match series, Australia's first in Sri Lanka since 2004.

The Sri Lankan board faces sanctions from the International Cricket Council, which said on Monday that match referee Chris Broad had expressed his "concerns over the quality of the pitch" in his report.

Clarke's predecessor, Ricky Ponting, also began his captaincy stint in Sri Lanka with a 3-0 sweep seven years ago and went on to become Test cricket's most successful captain with 48 victories.

Australia's emphatic win at Galle over the lacklustre Sri Lankans suggests a similar whitewash is a distinct possibility, but Clarke was not taking anything for granted.

"We've still got a lot of work to do," he said. "We didn't come here to win one Test match, we've come to win three Test matches. We have to be at our best always."

Clarke has reason to be wary of what lies ahead, especially in the second Test of a series. Australia have lost five second Tests in their last 10 series, winning four and drawing one.

Clarke himself has not made a Test century over 21 innings, but his 23 and 60 at Galle indicated a big knock was round the corner for the stylish right-hander.

Australia return to Pallekele for the second time on the current tour, having lost two Twenty20 matches against Sri Lanka there before winning the first one-day international by seven wickets.

The Pallekele International Stadium, near the hill city of Kandy, has hosted just one Test, against the West Indies in December, which was rained off without one innings being completed.

The Pallekele wicket is expected to play better than the one in the first Test, although it mattered little to the tourists that the surface in Galle was tailor-made for spin.

Australia's seamers, led by Ryan Harris' 5/62, picked up nine of the 10 Sri Lankan second-innings wickets. Debutant off-spinner Nathan Lyon grabbed 5/34, including a wicket with his first delivery, in the first innings.

Shaun Marsh is almost certain to make his Test debut in Pallekele, replacing Ponting, who returned home after Galle to await the birth of his second child.

"I just look forward to the challenge if I am picked," said the 28-year-old Marsh. "It's a dream to play Test cricket because Test cricket is the pinnacle."

The left-hander, son of former Australian opener Geoff Marsh, is not a novice to the big stage, having played in 35 one-day internationals and five Twenty20 games.

Sri Lanka, meanwhile, may bring back unorthodox spinner Ajantha Mendis after he was surprisingly excluded for the first Test.

Mendis could replace off-spinner Suraj Randiv, who claimed 2/76 in the first innings at Galle, but returned wicketless in the second despite the helpful track.

The hosts will aim to improve their batting after being shot out for 105 in the first innings. They made 253 in the second on the back of a classy century from Mahela Jayawardene and 95 from young Angelo Mathews.
Source:Time Of India, Sep 6, 2011,

England's Ian Bell sets sights on number four spot

33paszq.jpg

England's Ian Bell is relishing his opportunity to move up the batting order in the ODI series against India in Kevin Pietersen's absence.
The Warwickshire batsman stepped up from number five to deputise at number three for the injured Jonathan Trott in the last two Tests.

And, with Pietersen rested, Bell has now been asked to operate at number four at the Rose Bowl.

Bell said: "I'm willing to do whatever the team needs me to do."

He added: "At the end of the day the team comes first and I'll bat wherever.
"In this series I've got the opportunity to bat at four, higher up the order, and I'd love to grab it with both hands and take the opportunity."
The 29-year-old will be looking to secure the batting slot from which he made two half-centuries in England's stuttering World Cup campaign in India earlier this year.

One of those came in the tied group match against the hosts in Bangalore and the signs are good for Bell as he faces the same opponents in the second NatWest Series match.

Four years ago he made his only ODI hundred at this venue against India and is determined to again prove his worth.

Bell added: "Obviously Kev is being rested, so I need to just show (coach) Andy Flower that, if it comes to a decision, then I can put my name up there to be one of the first on the teamsheet.

"I've got an idea about how to play in one-day cricket and I guess I've seen glimpses of that. This is an opportunity to go out and do that."

Bell believes he is now a more rounded batsman than when he first tried to make a name for himself in the top four.
Source: BBC

Rain delays start of second India-England ODI

2ed9w88.jpg

SOUTHAMPTON: The second one-day international between England and India on Tuesday was delayed by rain.

The 50-over match had been scheduled to start at 1400BST (1300GMT).

If the match does get underway, England will have Graeme Swann available after he shook off the virus that saw him miss the first match of the series in Durham, which also fell victim to rain.

But the tourists, who have had eight players injured this summer, will have to do without Sachin Tendulkar, who will miss the rest of the series with a toe injury.
TEAMS
England: A. Cook (capt), C. Kieswetter, I. Trott, I. Bell, E. Morgan, B. Stokes, T. Bresnan, S. Broad, G. Swann, J. Anderson, J. Dernbach, S. Patel, R. Bopara, S. Finn
India: M. Dhoni (capt), P. Patel, A. Rahane, R. Dravid, V. Kohli, S. Raina, P. Kumar, R. Ashwin, R. Vinay Kumar, M. Patel, A. Mishra, V. Aaron, R. Singh, M. Tiwary
Umpires: Billy Doctrove (WIS) and Rob Bailey (ENG)

Third umpire:
Marais Erasmus (RSA)

Match referee
: Jeff Crowe (NZ)

Newspaper: The Times Of India,Sep 6, 2011,

Second defeat dashes Indian eves’ final hopes

23rreao.jpg

India’s hopes to make the final of the women Asian Champions Trophy evaporated after losing 0—5 to Japan, largely due to mid—field lapses, here.

India, who suffered their second consecutive defeat in the hockey event, have no points and now play their last match against China on Thursday.

The women couldn’t take any inspiration from men’s brilliant 5—3 win over the Koreans as they struggled to play as a unit, losing balls needlessly in the midfield and not coming together when it mattered most in the Japanese striking circle.

Japanese players were not very impressive but they capitalised on India’s mistakes and took advantage of the loose balls and numerous errors in the defence.

India were the first to force a penalty corner but couldn’t find the goal to put the Japanese under pressure.

Japan, on the other hand scored in the 16th minute when captain Yukari Yamamoto fired in a field goal.

India tried to forge a few moves through the middle not taking the usual flank way but the Japanese defence held firm.

India also held onto the ball too much, the forwards guilty of wayward passing and not giving the ball when teammates were in a better position. On a counter—attack, Japan got the second goal when Rika Komazawa fired in from the top of the circle.
Newspaper: The Hindu,

Lankan cricketers not focussed enough: Ranatunga

m8pnh1.jpg

MELBOURNE: Former Sri Lanka captain Arjuna Ranatunga says a lot of his country's cricketers are putting money ahead of nation and should take inspiration from Australian skipper Michael Clarke, who has shunned lucrative Twenty20 events such as the IPL to focus on Tests.

"I'm really impressed with the way Michael Clarke has been captaining," Ranatunga told 'The Herald'.

"His passion for cricket, rather than thinking of earning money and focusing on other areas - not only the IPL but all these shorter versions - is admirable. There are lots of cricketers today who will sacrifice their country for money," he added.

Ranatunga criticised the Sri Lankan team, which lost the opening Test at Galle to Australia by 125 runs.

"I'm not really sure if (Sri Lanka) are focused enough to play the longer version. I am very disappointed with the commitment of most of the players, in particular I am really worried about a couple of the batsmen and their commitment to the longer version of the game. I think we look much better than Australia on paper, but they are more committed."

Ranatunga said Sri Lankan cricket would be in doldrums once senior players such as Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar Sangakkara and Tillakaratne Dilshan retire.

"We will really struggle after Mahela, Sangakkara and Dilshan retire. They will all go at the same time," he said.
Newspaper: The Times Of India

Everyone is greedy... wants to make that extra bit of money: Kapil Dev

b6r89i.jpg

SOUTHAMPTON: With so much cricket being played and fatigue and injuries taking a toll on Team India players, former Indian skipper Kapil Dev has urged the Indian cricket fraternity not to sacrifice the game at the altar of money.

"Money should be the incentive, it's not a negative thing... if you can make so many in a month, it is fine. But you have to be fit enough to perform as well. God was kind to me. I did get injured as I got off-seasons to recover well from the strain of international cricket. Unfortunately, the current players don't get off-seasons. Everybody is greedy, wanting to make that extra bit. I hope we learn, the players learn, the administrators learn about the pitfalls of non-stop cricket which has become relentless these days," Kapil told TOI at the Rose Bowl stadium on Tuesday.

Kapil's message to the Indian fast bowlers is simple: "You don't become a cricketer sitting in the dressing room or in front of a computer or watching television. It's important to go to the basics, do a lot of training, work hard on the field. And if you can do that extra bit, it will help you play for a long period. Playing for India is not a big thing. But can you play for 10 years? Ask yourself. That takes a lot of hard work."

Kapil also said that the Indian pacers were not training properly. "I have seen many talented fast bowlers come up in the last 15 years... their career-span was cut short by injuries.

"Being overworked is one thing but these bowlers have also spent a lot of time in the gym rather than going out on the field, running cross country, strengthening their leg muscles. Most of the fast bowlers in India have a much stronger upper body as compared to their legs. "This is one aspect of this breakdown syndrome. I also don't understand this new theory of not bowling enough in the nets. The more you bowl, the more you learn and the more your body gets attuned to it. These days, I see them bowling only four or five overs in nets," he said.

When asked if Zaheer Khan would have smooth comeback into the team, Kapil said: "If you start getting injured it is difficult. Sachin Tendulkar can come back because he is a batsman, but if a fast bowler starts getting injured in his thirties, recovery is very difficult. He would have to do something extraordinary to come back; otherwise, he will play a few matches and get injured again."
Newspaper: The Times Of India, Sep 8, 2011

I’m just desperate to keep improving: Alastair Cook

10hrhpx.jpg

Southampton: Alastair Cook considered dropping himself from his own team, yet went on to prove his worth beyond doubt to England — even in a match reduced to almost Twenty20 proportions.

Captain Cook’s unbeaten 80 at the top of the order, from only 63 balls, steered England past what seemed a taxing target of 187 for eight with almost a full over and seven wickets to spare over India at the Rose Bowl.

They are therefore 1-0 up, with three more matches to play in the series. It was their sixth successive victory in all completed contests against the tourists this summer.

Cook shared a brutal opening stand of 67 in under seven overs with Craig Kieswetter, and then easily kept up the tempo on a very good batting surface under lights.

But when it became clear this one-day International would be reduced to only 23 overs-per-side, Cook — absent from England’s team in the shortest format for almost two years — did give at least some passing thought to stepping aside. “That was mentioned in our dressing room,” he said.

“We talked about it. But when we’re in a one-day competition, you’re not allowed to bring new players in for Twenty20. You have to adapt, so I captained.”

Cook, whose 50-over credentials were even questioned when he was first named captain at the start of this summer, silenced those critics with a blazing tempo against Sri Lanka — and he was at it again here.

“It shows all the work I’m doing is the right work,” he said. “There’s still a huge amount I can improve on and stay on that upward curve. I’m just desperate to keep improving, so I can do that more often in the one-day side.”

Cook reserved praise for others instead -— including Kieswetter, and the groundstaff for the pitch they produced. “It was a bit frantic (in the field), but we restricted them to a total we could get. It was a decent score, but we thought it was a par score if we played well.

“Craig played brilliantly at the top of the order and left us just having to milk it to get there. That was the best wicket I’ve batted on for a long time. The bowlers said after a couple of overs that it wasn’t doing anything, and it was skidding onto the bat quite nicely under the lights.”

He was also grateful for the contributions of fit-again Graeme Swann and Ravi Bopara, who deputised for the injured Eoin Morgan and made a bright 24 from 20 balls.

“It gives Ravi a great chance,” he said. “We’ve got a really good squad, and it’s up to them to try to nail down a place.”

On Swann, who picked up three for 33 from five overs, he added: “He’s the No.1 in the world — and on a non-turning wicket, especially with a wet ball, to take the wickets he did was an outstanding effort.”

One batsman in the England team who bats in similar vein to Cook is Jonathan Trott and the right-hander was left-out of the playing XI.

“We needed more attacking batters and that’s why Samit (Patel) played. We had enough batting and we didn’t need it (in a shorter format of the game).”
Newspaper: The Telegraph,Thursday , September 8 , 2011

Rahane looks to put best foot forward after ankle injury

1z31lqp.jpg

LONDON: India's makeshift opener Ajinkya Rahane has recovered from the minor ankle injury he picked up during the Southampton game and is eager to keep his run of good scores going.

"The ankle is fine and I'm fit to play. In the three matches that are left, I'm hopeful we'll pull off wins," the in-form Rahane said at the Oval on Thursday, the eve of the third ODI against England.

Rahane said the team was in good spirits in spite of the run of poor results on the tour. "The atmosphere in the dressing room is good. For me, it's like a dream come true to even be here. Now that I've got the chance, I have to put my best foot forward."

Rahane, who has two fifties from his last three international outings, said he was nervous ahead of the series as he was not prepared specifically for English conditions. "I had not prepared at all before coming here, frankly speaking. I understood the conditions only once I reached here. I was not thinking too much. Obviously, there are certain expectations when you play for India and I was nervous to begin with. But the teammates helped me settle down," he said, adding: "Once I arrived I had word with Tendulkar, Dhoni and Dravid. All the seniors told me not to think too much and carry on playing the way I had been. I will learn more with experience."

Rahane said he was impressed with the bowling of Stuart Broad and James Anderson, and thanked Mumbai coach Pravin Amre for helping him out with his technique. "Tendulkar too gave me guidance whenever I met him and Rahul Dravid offered tips while playing for Rajasthan Royals," he said.
Newspaper: The Times Of India, Sep 9, 2011,

Back
Top Bottom