The Cricket Chat Thread !!

• Thread starter Thread starter Karthik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 562
  • Views Views: Views 38,076
Cook aware of how close England came to embarrassment
March 10, 2013 19:59 IST

England [ Images ] captain Alastair Cook [ Images ] was acutely aware that his side had narrowly avoided an embarrassing first Test loss to New Zealand [ Images ] in Dunedin on Sunday and that the series may be more competitive than they first thought.

-England batsmen force draw in first NZ Test

Brendon McCullum's [ Images ] side, routed in South Africa [ Images ] late last year in a Test series that witnessed them capitulate for 45 runs in one innings, were six places below Cook's second ranked team heading into the Test last Wednesday.

After losing the first day to rain, New Zealand's bowlers ran through the vaunted England batting lineup, who appeared cavalier in their approach, to dismiss them for a paltry 167 in a first innings which was boosted by a 47-run ninth wicket partnership between Steven Finn and James Anderson [ Images ].

"They put some pressure on us, but if you look at the shots it was pretty poor shot selection, or probably more poor shot execution, you can pretty much describe it as soft dismissals," Cook said. "If you do that against any team you pay the price."

New Zealand's new opening pair of debutant Hamish Rutherford and the recalled Peter Fulton [ Images ], a pair that had been expected to be targeted by Finn and Anderson, then took the match away from the visitors when they put on 158 for the first wicket.

Rutherford went on to score 171 and the speed in which he paced his innings enabled McCullum to make a declaration at 460 for nine, a lead of 293 runs and with almost two days to try and bowl the visitors out to achieve a massive upset.

"When you get bowled out for 160-odd in the first innings on a good wicket you are always going to be struggling in the game and facing an uphill battle just to save the game," Cook said.

"We certainly felt after day (two), they were 130 for none, we thought it was pretty much damage limitation from there on.

"You are never really going to win a game from that situation."

A benign pitch and a far more stoic attitude from England in their second innings helped the tourists.

Cook scored 116 and shared in a 231-run stand with Nick Compton, before Finn scored 56 and occupied the crease for nearly five hours as nightwatchman to ensure the visitors go into the second Test in Wellington on even terms.

Of concern for Cook as they head to the Basin Reserve for the start of play on Thursday, however, was the poor form shown so far of world class batsmen Kevin Pietersen [ Images ], who is also nursing a sore knee.

He only made 22 runs in the warmup game in Queenstown before the first Test and was then trapped lbw by Neil Wagner for a golden duck in the first innings and wafted well away from his body in the second to nick behind to be out for 12.

Both dismissals indicated he was still rusty after some time off following the Test series in India [ Images ] late last year.

One of the positives for Cook, though, was the way in which his batsmen did respond in the second innings, albeit on a pitch that was giving the bowlers no assistance, while Compton's maiden Test hundred was particularly pleasing.

"It's great that he's gone on to get a hundred and I think we'll see him take a big step forward because a hundred as an opening batsman for England will give you a huge amount of confidence," Cook said of Compton's innings.

"His determination, his will to score runs for England or whatever team he's played for, I think that's what's driven him on so far in his career.

"What I do hope -- it'll give him the confidence, like I know any hundred does for a batter ... knowing that you can perform at this level."

Lyon says confidence up after bowling Tendulkar
March 10, 2013 17:05 IST

He was dropped from the team after the opening Test itself, but Australian spinner Nathan Lyon says his confidence has only gone up as he has managed to get the wicket of Indian veteran Sachin Tendulkar [ Images ] in the ongoing series.

Lyon was dropped from the second Test in Hyderabad after a 4/244 effort in the opening Test in Chennai.

"My confidence has gone up a level rather than down, (after) bowling the best batsman in the world (Tendulkar) through the gate. As an off-spinner growing up, that's what you dream of," Lyon told the Australian journalists travelling with the team.

Lyon also rejected coach Mickey Arthur suggestion that he needs to change his technique.

"To be honest, I thought they came out all right in Chennai. To bowl Sachin Tendulkar through the gate you must be doing something right. I was quite happy with that," he said.

"I went for a few runs here and there, but bowling against the best bats in the world in their conditions, they were obviously going to come hard at me playing one spinner in the side," he added.

Lyon said he can't be faulted too much as he was bowling against best players of spin.

"Yes, I bowled only one maiden but they are the best players of spin. I feel I've grown within myself and learnt a lot about my bowling," he said.

"I've worked hard in the nets and I'm feeling confident in my own bowling. The technical stuff, it's all the same. I haven't changed anything from when I first started bowling for Australia [ Images ] since I was 16," he added.

Lyon said he would continue to work hard in the nets.

"I have to keep putting my hand up for selection and get back in the nets and really keep training hard. As I keep saying, I'm confident in my own skill set to get the job done if I get selected," he said.

"I had a great phone call with Stuart MacGill before this (second) Test match and I really got a lot out of that just from talking to a past Australian spinner, and had that chat with Shane Warne [ Images ] after Chennai, which was fantastic."

'For cricket Sachin is Maradona and Pele put together'
Last updated on: March 10, 2013 15:36 IST

South African pace legend Allan Donald feels cricket would be a poorer sport once Sachin Tendulkar retires from the scene as the Indian veteran is "Maradona and Pele put together" for the game.

"Sachin Tendulkar's charm goes beyond the field. For cricket he is Maradona and Pele put together, it is as simple as that. Cricket will be a poorer sport when he quits the game. He has been unbelievably special," the 46-year-old South African has written in the upcoming book Sachin -- Cricketer of the Century, authored by Vimal Kumar and set to hit the stands later this month.

Injured Rohit, Dhawal out of Deodhar Trophy
March 10, 2013 16:52 IST

West Zone will be without key players Rohit Sharma [ Images ] and Dhawal Kulkarni in their D B Deodhar Trophy campaign after injuries ruled them out of the One-day tournament, which started on Sunday in Guwahati.

The Mumbai [ Images ] duo has been replaced by Siddesh Lad, also from the same city, and Saurashtra's Rush Kalaria, said Mumbai Cricket Association's joint secretary Nitin Dalal in Mumbai on Sunday.

West lost the services of prolific Mumbai opener Wasim Jaffer [ Images ] and Baroda's Aditya Waghmode after the team was announced initially. They were replaced by Saurashtra's Sheldon Jackson and Maharashtra's [ Images ] Akshay Darekar.

West have been given a bye into the semifinals, scheduled for March 12.

The revised West squad: Parthiv Patel [ Images ] (Capt), Sheldon Jackson, Ambati Rayudu, Siddesh Lad, Kedar Jadhav, Yusuf Pathan [ Images ], Abhishek Nayar [ Images ], Munaf Patel [ Images ], Jaydev Unadkat [ Images ], Rush Kalaria, Rakesh Dhruv, Kamlesh Makwana, Manpreet Juneja, Akshay Darekar, Vijay Zol.

Difficult to say if Dhoni had a hand in Viru's ouster: Ganguly
March 10, 2013 20:56 IST

Former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly [ Images ] on Sunday sought to clarify his statement on Virender Sehwag's [ Images ] ouster from the Test squad, saying he had never categorically stated that Mahendra Singh Dhoni [ Images ] had a hand in the opener's omission.

-'For cricket Sachin is Maradona [ Images ] and Pele put together'

A media report on Saturday had quoted Ganguly as saying that, Dhoni had a hand in the player's removal from the team and it also stated that if Sachin Tendulkar [ Images ] and Dhoni are being "persisted" despite poor run of form, then why not with Sehwag.

Ganguly said, "It's very difficult to say whether Dhoni has a hand in Sehwag's exclusion but normally captains do have a say in team selection."

"That's been the case with all captains, whether it’s me, Dravid, Tendulkar, Kumble, Dhoni, Azhar or captains around world cricket. They normally have an opinion and a say about team selection," he stated.

Having said that, Ganguly also mentioned that the selectors do not always agree with the demands of a captain.

"That doesn't mean that the captain's opinion is taken all the time by the selectors. At times, they do listen and at times they don't. So it's very difficult to say whether Dhoni had a hand in Sehwag's exclusion."

England batsmen force draw in first NZ Test
March 10, 2013 10:48 IST

England's [ Images ] batsmen showed the resilience they had been lacking in their first innings to battle to a draw in the first of three tests against New Zealand [ Images ] at University Oval on Sunday.

The tourists, who had been bundled out for 167 in their first innings, were 421 for six with a lead of 128 runs when captains Alastair Cook [ Images ] and Brendon McCullum [ Images ] agreed a result was unlikely in the remaining 15 overs available on the final day.

Ian Bell [ Images ], on 26, and wicketkeeper Matt Prior [ Images ] on 23 were at the crease when the match ended, having snuffed out New Zealand's slim hopes of victory in the final session.

Those hopes had been briefly roused after the tea break when nightwatchman Steven Finn was trapped in front by left arm spinner Bruce Martin for 56 and Joe Root was run out for a duck.

Root's dismissal left England on 390 for six, a lead of 97 runs with a minimum 31 overs remaining in the day.

Finn's first test half century and highest first class score exemplified England's doggedness in their second innings as he played the nightwatchman's role to perfection.

Prior to his first innings knock of 20 at University Oval, his previous highest test score was 19 against Sri Lanka [ Images ] at Lord's in 2011.

The tall fast bowler faced 203 balls and batted for almost five hours as he held up one end while the more established batsmen chipped away at what was remaining of New Zealand's imposing 293-run first innings lead after McCullum had declared their first innings at 460 for nine.

Jonathan Trott (52) and Kevin Pietersen [ Images ] (12) were the only two wickets to fall during the middle session as New Zealand's bowlers toiled away on a barren pitch that offered them no assistance.

The tourists had resumed on 234 for one, a deficit of 59 runs, after Cook (116) had been dismissed just before stumps on Saturday.

Nick Compton was the only batsman out before lunch, trapped lbw by Wagner for 117, but he was able to head back to the pavillion safe in the knowledge that his partnership with Cook on Saturday had resurrected England's position in the match.

The pair put on a stubborn 231-run opening stand, taking a massive chunk out of New Zealand's first innings lead.

"It's a case of 'right, we got away with that one guys but we're going to have to turn on for the next game'," Compton told reporters

"We put ourselves in this position, we're well aware of that. We weren't good enough in the first innings and New Zealand were right on it. They batted brilliantly, they bowled well.

"So it was a bit of a kick up the proverbial, if you know what I mean. It was a case of really trying to get back into it.

"We're aware that if we play to our capabilities then we've got a good chance, no doubt."

The series resumes in Wellington next week with the third test taking place in Auckland starting on March 22.

Scorecard

England (1st innings): 167

New Zealand (1st innings): 460-9 decl.

England (2nd innings): (overnight 234-1)

A. Cook c Watling b Boult 116

N. Compton lbw b Wagner 117

S. Finn lbw b Martin 56

J. Trott c & b Wagner 52

K. Pietersen c Watling b Wagner 12

I. Bell not out 26

J. Root run out 0

M. Prior not out 23

Extras: (b-6, lb-11, nb-1, w-1) 19

Total: (for six wickets, 170 overs) 421

Fall of wickets: 1-231, 2-265, 3-355, 4-367, 5-386, 6-390.

Bowling: T. Southee 36-8-94-0 (nb-1), T. Boult 35-12-49-1, N. Wagner 43-9-141-3 (w-1), B. Martin 44-13-90-1, K. Williamson 12-3-30-0.

Image: Tim Southee [ Images ] of New Zealand celebrates running out Joe Root of England during Day 5 of the first Test.

Wade doubtful for 3rd Test after injuring ankle
March 10, 2013 15:16 IST

The struggling Australian cricket team's tour of India [ Images ] was thrown into further disarray after wicketkeeper Matthew Wade injured his ankle, putting him in doubt for the third Test starting on Thursday.

"He got injured while playing basketball yesterday and he is currently undergoing a scan at a hospital. We don't know the status as of now," the Australian cricket team's media manager Matt Cenin said.

Wade was in doubt ahead of the second Test as well after fracturing his cheekbone during training but he played through pain and scored a 62 in the first innings.

Brad Haddin [ Images ], who played four Tests in India during the 2008 tour by the Australians, has been put on standby for Wade.

Australia [ Images ] are 0-2 down in the four-match series after back-to-back losses by heavy margins.

Back from ban, Praveen to play in Syed Mushtaq Ali T20
March 09, 2013 20:25 IST

The temperamental India [ Images ] discard Praveen Kumar's [ Images ] suspension has been revoked by the Indian cricket board and the swing bowler will be playing for Uttar Pradesh [ Images ] in the Central Zone leg of the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 Championship from March 17-22.

The BCCI had earlier suspended Praveen from domestic tournaments after he hurled abuses at an opponent player during a Corporate Trophy match during last month. The match referee had then reported that Praveen was "mentally unfit" to play.

Following the match referee's report that stated that Praveen had pleaded guilty for a Level 4 offence after abusing opposition batsman Ajitesh Argal while representing his employer ONGC [ Get Quote ], Praveen was suspended on February 10 and was issued a show-cause notice by the BCCI secretary, Sanjay Jagdale.

However the BCCI top brass decided to revoke the ban as the controversial cricketer has tendered an unconditional apology and has promised not to indulge into any unsporting behaviour in near future.

The BCCI disciplinary committee -- comprising president N Srinivasan, vice-president Arun Jaitley [ Images ] and Niranjan Shah - then decided to revoke his suspension following a stern warning.

"A couple of members of the disciplinary committee had a teleconference with Praveen and have decided to put the matter to rest after issuing him one last warning," a board insider was quoted as saying by the ESPN Cricinfo.

England grind their way towards safety against New Zealand
Last updated on: March 09, 2013 18:28 IST

Alastair Cook [ Images ] and Nick Compton made some amends for England's [ Images ] poor first innings by grinding out a 231-run partnership to eat deep into New Zealand's [ Images ] lead of 293 on the fourth day of the first Test on Saturday.

Captain Cook was dismissed just before stumps for 116, leaving Compton to resume on the fifth and final day of the match on 102 not out along with nightwatchman Steven Finn, who had yet to score.

England ended the day on 234 for one, a deficit of just 59 runs, after applying themselves far more diligently than in their first innings, when they were bundled out for 167.

Cook and Compton's obdurate stand on Saturday not only edged the visitors closer to safety but sent a message to New Zealand's young pace attack that the rest of the three-match series would be much more of a Test of their abilities.

Mindful they needed to bat time to at least save the Test, both openers played cautiously and a potential run out when Compton was on 94 was the only chance in their record first wicket stand before Cook's dismissal.

Cook and Compton's effort bettered the 223 runs put on by Graeme Fowler and Chris Tavare in 1984 as the highest England opening partnership in a Test against New Zealand.

Cook brought up his 24th Test century with a paddle around the corner off Bruce Martin for his 13th boundary, prompting a standing ovation from the crowd.

Just as the partnership looked set to remain intact until the close of play, though, Trent Boult managed to catch the outside edge of Cook's bat and the ball carried to wicketkeeper BJ Watling.

The dismissal did not unsettle Compton, who had been under pressure for his place in the side after failing to convert good starts on England's recent tour of India [ Images ].

The 29-year-old brought up his maiden Test century two balls later with a push into the leg side for a single and emitted a roar of delight as he cantered down the wicket.

"The biggest relief of my life to be honest," Compton told reporters. "To get to this moment was something special, I never thought perhaps a year ago, or a couple of months ago, that I'd be sitting here with a hundred.

"I kept believing, but its been a long time. I'm just delighted to be here. It's a strange feeling."

The patience that England showed had frustrated New Zealand's bowlers, Boult said afterwards, though he also praised the pair for they way they held out, shaking hands with Compton in between post-match media conferences.

"It was frustrating not to grab a few more but that's the way it goes," Boult said. "They were tough conditions. It was a flat wicket and cold with not much swing or any help from the wicket.

"They just batted well. They took it pretty simply, left the ball well.

"I thought we built pressure in periods, but let them off at times too. They were going at a relatively slow scoring rate.

"We just thought we had to build pressure. It was nice to get one wicket; a few more would've been good."

Scorecard:
England (first innings) 167 all out
New Zealand first innings (overnight 402-7): P. Fulton c Prior b Anderson 55, H. Rutherford c sub b Anderson 171, K. Williamson b Panesar 24, R. Taylor c Trott b Anderson 31, D. Brownlie b Anderson 27, B. McCullum c Anderson b Broad 74, BJ Watling b Broad 0, T. Southee b Broad 25, B. Martin c Prior b Finn 41, N. Wagner n.o. 4;
Extras: 8;
Total (for nine wickets declared): 460;
Fall of wickets: 1-158 2-249 3-267 4-310 5-321 6-326 7-370, 8-447 9-460;
Bowling: J. Anderson 33-2-137-4, S. Finn 26.4-3-102-1, S. Broad 28-3-118-3, M. Panesar 22-2-83-1, J. Trott 2-0-4-0, J. Root 5-1-8-0
England second innings: A. Cook c Watling b Boult 116, N. Compton n.o. 102, S. Finn n.o. 0;
Extras: 16;
Total (for one wicket, 87 overs): 234;
Bowling: T. Southee 18-2-48-0 (nb-1), T. Boult 19-5-33-1, N. Wagner 20-4-64-0, B. Martin 25-7-61-0, K. Williamson 5-1-13-0.

Warriors to play IPL home games at Pune
Last updated on: March 10, 2013 07:10 IST

Ending weeks of speculation, the Board of Control for Cricket in India on Saturday indicated in clear terms that Pune Warriors, owned by the Sahara Group, will play all their IPL home games this season at Pune only.

Check out the IPL 2013 schedule

As per the schedule released on Saturday along with terms and conditions for media accreditation for the April 3-May 26 tournament, Pune Warriors will commence their home campaign at the Maharashtra [ Images ] Cricket Association stadium -- previously known as Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium against Kings XI Punjab [ Images ] on April 7.

A long-running dispute over title rights of the newly-built stadium on the outskirts of Pune between Sahara Group and MCA resulted in Maharashtra Cricket Association covering the stadium's name -- Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium -- in January with a cloth for alleged default of payment of the contract.

This led to the Sahara Group moving the Bombay high court over "termination of agreements" and the matter is sub-judice.

After fallout, the Sahara Group wanted to play their home games at other venues leading to the BCCI to try and break the deadlock ahead of the commencement of the IPL on April 3.

The BCCI has not come out with any statement on the resolution of the dispute but the latest schedule has named the venue of Pune Warriors' home games at Maharashtra Cricket Association stadium.

The remaining home games of the Pune franchise are scheduled at the same stadium on April 11 (vs Rajasthan Royals [ Images ]), April 17 (vs Sunrisers Hyderabad), April 30 (vs Chennai Super Kings [ Images ]), May 2 (vs Royal Challengers [ Images ] Bangalore), May 9 (vs Kolkata Knight Riders [ Images ]), May 11 (vs Mumbai Indians [ Images ]) and May 18 (vs Delhi Daredevils [ Images ]).

IPL games are also to be hosted in Raipur (alternative home venue for Delhi Daredevils) on April 28 (vs Pune Warriors) and May 1 (vs Kolkata Knight Riders) and in Ranchi (alternative venue of KKR) on May 14 (vs Pune Warriors).

All home matches of Rajasthan Royals will be held at Jaipur's [ Images ] Sawai Mansingh stadium.

Back
Top Bottom