The Cricket Chat Thread !!

• Thread starter Thread starter Karthik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 562
  • Views Views: Views 38,076
RE: World of Cricket News

Injured pacer Bird ruled out of India Test series
February 27, 2013 20:53 IST

Injured Australian speedster Jackson Bird has been ruled out of the remaining three Test matches against India [ Images ] due to a bone stress injury on his back sustained during the first warm-up game of the ongoing series.

“Initial tests performed in Melbourne [ Images ] have confirmed that Jackson Bird has a bone stress injury of the low back," team doctor Peter Brukner was quoted as saying by Cricinfo.

"He will undergo further tests tomorrow (Thursday). He will not be re-joining the team in India."

Bird played in the first warm-up game of the tour against Board President's XI and bowled 10 economic overs giving away only 10 runs.

A likely recovery time will not be known until Bird has further tests but it is a worrying development for Australia [ Images ] in an Ashes year, given how well his accurate seam-bowling style could translate to English conditions.

The loss of Bird leaves Australia with a 16-man squad ahead of the second Test, which starts in Hyderabad on Saturday.

At this stage, the selectors have not decided on whether to send a replacement player to join the group, leaving Mitchell Johnson [ Images ] as the only extra fast bowler in the group besides those who played in the first Test.

Australia in a dilemma over team for second Test
February 27, 2013 21:10 IST

Australian cricket coach Mickey Arthur conceded that his team made a mistake by not going in with two spinners in the lost opening Test against India [ Images ] but it remains a "difficult" selection dilemma for the second match as well due to the pacers' decent performance.

"That's going to be the million dollar question," Arthur said when asked whether the Aussies would go for a two-pronged spin attack in the Test starting in Hyderabad on March 2.

- Rewind: How India strangled the Aussies in Chennai

"It's easy in hindsight having a look at how the wicket ended up you probably would have liked two spinners on there. However, our quicks took most wickets. We didn't get a massive return from spin in this game. I thought James Pattinson was outstanding, so it's a difficult dilemma," he explained.

Arthur said the visiting side, which lost by eight wickets in the first Test, is not sure about the bowling attack for the second Test.

"Looking at the way it ended up probably two spinners (would have been good) but our quicks were the most likely out there, so I am not sure which way really," he said.

Xavier Doherty and Glen Maxwell are the other two spin options for the Australians if they decide to go for more than one slow bowler.

"I think on wickets like this balls turning into you are just as effective, because you've actually got to play," Arthur was quoted as saying by ESPN Cricinfo.

"You can't leave balls alone. Balls coming into the bat on wickets that have crumbled are almost as tough to play. Ideally you want both, and I did a lot of looking at the England [ Images ] series and they used Monty Panesar [ Images ] a lot," he explained.

Arthur said the opening Test is a massive learning experience for off-spinner Nathan Lyon, who conceded 244 runs for four wickets.

"I think he has learnt from this game that you have got to be really consistent in conditions like this in order to put the batsmen under any sort of pressure, but I think he will grow and he will learn from this game," Arthur said.

"It will be interesting to see how he pulls up after this Test match and in terms of information and preparation and everything he worked extremely hard coming into this Test match. Only he knows how he will approach things if he plays in the next Test match and how that is going to go."

One down, can Australia do an England?
Last updated on: February 28, 2013 08:59 IST

Australia don't have a quality spinner who can make India suffer. Michael Clarke's team, says Bikash Mohapatra, will do well if it even draws a Test or two!

There are so many similarities hard to ignore.

The reverse Australia suffered in the opening Test, at Chepauk, has made optimists (read Australian fans) and skeptics (read Team India critics) alike predict that the visitors will repeat England's remarkable effort late last year.

- The trio who made it possible for India

In fact, the captains were asked questions about the same soon after the Test was over. Both Michael Clarke and MS Dhoni, expectedly, and very conveniently, avoided replies, instead responding in monosyllables when pressed further.

It's not that the queries were too negative; it is just that the antecedent had a similar trajectory.

England landed in India having blanked Dhoni's team 4-0 in the corresponding series a year before. The humiliation led to a senior player (Gautam Gambhir) claiming the riposte will be likewise on the turning tracks back home.

Giving credibility to the claim was the fact that the English team hadn't won a Test in India in six years coming into the series. The opening Test in Motera witnessed a comprehensive victory for the home team, the visitors experiencing a batting collapse in one innings (the first) to make things easy for the hosts.

To put it bluntly, it was on an apology of a wicket. Worse was the visitors' decision to go in with a three-pronged attack and a lone spinner, and they paid the price.

Needing a modest 77 to win, India cruised home in just under 16 overs, losing only one wicket (Virender Sehwag) en route. Soon after, Dhoni demanded a rank turner, and got it, for the second Test at the Wankhede.

However, it was a decision he would regret, as England not only turned tables, but also went on to win the next Test at Eden Gardens (Kolkata) and inflict on India a first series defeat in eight years on home soil.

Chennai Test: The three positives for Australia
Last updated on: February 28, 2013 09:17 IST

Sure, Australia were outplayed in the Chennai Test, but not all was lost for the visitors, says Bikash Mohapatra.

Australia's defeat in the opening Test can be attributed as a collective failure, but a couple of players played to their potential.

Unfortunately for the visitors, these performances were undone by those who didn't come to the party.

Captain Superb

Michael Clarke has been in wonderful form since he took over as the Aussie captain and the Chennai Test was no different.

Coming into the match, 'Pup' needed 11 runs to become the 10th Australian batsman to score 7,000 Test runs. On the opening day, he achieved the landmark, going past The Don.

On Day 2, he moved up to ninth on the list eclipsing no less the elegant Greg Chappell.

Clarke's 130 was his 23rd Test hundred, his sixth against India. Remember he made his debut in Bangalore in 2004 with a stage-setting 151.

His early dismissal in the second innings made victory inevitable for India, but anyone who thinks Pup won't have a great series needs to book an early appointment with a shrink.

The last time India played him Down Under, Pup scored 626 runs, including a triple hundred.

Any wagers that he is going to do better this series?

Good for India if Dhoni bats at no 6: Dravid
Last updated on: February 28, 2013 10:55 IST

Former India skipper Rahul Dravid on Wednesday suggested that Mahendra Singh Dhoni should consistently bat at number six in Tests as it can potentially change the complexion of the side in abroad series.

Dhoni batted at No. 6 in the first Test against Australia in Chennai and went on to score a game-changing knock of 224 in the first innings.

- Dhoni's career-best score, but not most memorable

It was after two years that Dhoni played at number six as the last time Indian skipper played at this position was in February 2010 against South Africa in Nagpur.

In his 116 Test innings so far, Dhoni has played at number six or above only 17 times, mostly featuring at number seven.

Dravid said Dhoni's decision to bat a little up the order was right and he should stick with it.

"He has moved up the order a little bit which has given him a chance to play such an innings, batting at number seven is difficult. At six, he will have an established batsman before him and an all-rounder after him," Dravid said.

"From India's point of view, they will want him to replicate this abroad and if he can actually bat at number six abroad, it will make India a different side, it will change the complexion of Indian team, the balance of the team will be different," Dravid told ESPN Cricinfo.

"No one is expecting a 200 from him every time he plays abroad but a level of consistency abroad will change the complexion of the Indian side," he added.

Pak refugee backed to lead Aus spin for Ashes
February 28, 2013 15:00 IST

Former South African tweaker Johan Botha [ Images ] believes Pakistan refugee spinner Fawad Ahmed is the missing link in Australia's [ Images ] plot to regain the Ashes and No.1 Test ranking.

However, Botha believes Nathan Lyon should be retained for the second Test against India [ Images ] starting on Sunday in Hyderabad despite legendary Australian skipper Steve Waugh's [ Images ] call for the off-spinner to be rested, News.com.au reports.

Botha said Ahmed's leg-spin makes Australia a potent force capable of sending England [ Images ] into a tailspin backed by a formidable pace arsenal led by James Pattinson.

Botha said Ahmed could definitely keep it tight, and is really accurate for a leg-spinner, adding he has a googly but doesn't show it that much.

Ahmed's presence in Australia's Ashes squad with off-spinner Lyon would cover all bases for captain Michael Clarke [ Images ].

Botha added, Ahmed would definitely fit into Australia's game plan there after the seamers. Botha also agrees with Ahmed's Victorian skipper Cameron White [ Images ] that the Pakistani refugee is the best leggie seen in Australia since Warne and MacGill, as he can take the ball both ways which is a key and when you get to the lower order batsmen, they don't pick them as well.

Immigration officials are considering fast tracking Ahmed's citizenship, which would make the Abbottabad scholar with a degree in international relations eligible to represent Australia immediately, the paper reported.

I am never going to give up bowling: Watson
Last updated on: February 28, 2013 16:25 IST

Shane Watson has realised he can never give up bowling completely in his career after watching his teammates getting butchered by the Indian batsmen during the first Test.

Ravaged by injuries, Watson had committed to playing only as a batsman on his comeback during the four-Test series, but with the Aussies struggling to contain the hosts, he is itching to bowl again.

"That was a time that reaffirmed to me that I do want to bowl," Watson was quoted as saying by ESPN cricinfo.

"That was a time where if I hadn't have made the decision not to bowl for this tour that I could have had some input on the game at a crucial time in the match. That to me was the first time over the last month since I came back that I missed bowling.

"The decision I made is more a longer-term decision to get some running and conditioning into my legs, so when I start bowling again, my body has more chance of handling it.

"I do appreciate the decision but it certainly reaffirmed to me that I'm never going to give up bowling. It excites me having some input on the game, especially when what I do could have an influence on a certain part of the game," he added.

Vijay Hazare: Assam stun Mumbai to enter semis
February 28, 2013 20:14 IST

Assam's dream run in the Vijay Hazare Trophy continued as they stunned Ranji Trophy champions Mumbai [ Images ] by 27 runs to enter the semi-finals of the domestic ODI tournament in Visakhapatnam [ Images ].

Chasing a paltry 179 for win, Mumbai, the last season's runners-up, were in for a shock as their batting line-up crumbled in front of a disciplined Assam attack to be bowled out for 151 in 46.5 overs in the low-scoring quarter-final.

The day, however, started on a bright note for Mumbai as they bundled out Assam for 178 in 47.4 overs after opting to ball at the Dr Y S Rajasekhara Reddy [ Images ] ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium.

Pace duo of Aavishkar Salvi (3/25) and Rajesh Verma (3/32) shared six wickets between them while left-arm spinner Iqbal Abdullah picked up two wickets to destabilise Assam's innings.

In-form Sibsankar Roy (69) and Gokul Sharma (51) scored half-centuries apiece to take Assam to close to the 180-run mark.

Salvi's opening burst had Assam tottering at 30 for three before Sibsankar and Gokul revived the innings with a 92-run fifth-wicket stand. Assam were in a decent position at 147 for four in the 40th over before their lower order crumbled like a pack of cards.

Mumbai's chase never got going as they lost wickets at the start to be reduced to 6 for 3, and then to 39 for 4 inside the first 10 overs.

Skipper Wasim Jaffer [ Images ] was bowled in the first over for five by his counterpart Abu Nechim Ahmed. Rohit Sharma [ Images ] followed suit in the same manner in the second over for a duck to Arup Das.

Shoaib Shaikh (42) and Ankeet Chavan (36) took Mumbai past the 100-run mark but after the former's dismissal to Gokul Sharma, Mumbai started to lose wickets at regular intervals to be eventually dismissed for 151.

Abu Nechim starred with the ball for Assam finishing with 3 for 31, while Pritam [ Images ] Das (2/24) accounted for the counter-attacking Siddhesh Lad and Chavan.

Brief Scores:
Assam: 178 all out in 47.4 overs (Sibsankar Roy 69, Gokul Sharma 51; Aavishkar Salvi 3/25, Rajesh Verma 3/32).
Mumbai: 151 all out in 46.5 overs (Shoaib Shaikh 42, Ankeet Chavan 36; Abu Nechim Ahmed 3/31, Pritam Das 2/24).

Bengal to meet Delhi [ Images ] in semis
The seam trio of Shami Ahmed, Veer Pratap Singh and Laxmi Shukla [ Images ] shared eight wickets among them as defending champions Bengal crushed Karnataka [ Images ] by 10 wickets to set up a semi-final clash against Delhi in the National One Day Championship for Vijay Hazare Trophy.

Electing to field after winning the toss in the third quarterfinal, Bengal skittled out Karnataka for a paltry 127 runs in 32.1 overs as Shami (3 for 32), Veer Pratap (3 for 40) and Shukla (2 for 20) ripped through their batting line-up at Port Trust Diamond Jubilee Stadium.

At one stage, Karnataka were 57 for six but Manish Pandey [ Images ] (28), Karun Nair (22) and skipper R Vinay Kumar (20) took the team to 127 before they were dismissed in the 33rd over.

The Bengal openers, Shreevats Goswami and Wriddhiman Saha, knocked off the target in 28.3 overs to register an emphatic victory. Goswami struck 10 fours and two sixes in his 79-ball 70 while Saha played an ably ally with 93-ball 52.

Aussies need to dig deep in Hyderabad
Last updated on: March 1, 2013 10:57 IST

The Australians struggled in the first Test in all departments, with only captain Michael Clarke, debutant Moises Henriques and pacer James Pattinson putting up a semblance of a fight. Now, with the Hyderabad pitch, once again, likely to favour spinners, the Aussies will have to dig deep if they have to square the series.

A relatively new ground, another 'familiar' wicket and a trio of not so affable Indian spinners await Australia in the second Test starting Saturday.

The visitors, after having suffered a comprehensive defeat in the opener at the MA Chidambaram stadium, would have had a fair idea -- if they hadn't already, that is -- of what to expect in the remaining matches.

The Rajiv Gandhi International stadium has thus far played host to only two Test matches and this would be the first to have a team other than New Zealand facing the hosts.

When this correspondent visited the venue the groundsmen were busy cutting that last shred of grass left on the wicket.

On Saturday, when the match begins, the wickets at Uppal will all likelihood resemble the one at Chepauk. To be fair, it is the best means to guarantee an Indian win.

We need to play aggressively to beat India: Watson
Last updated on: February 28, 2013 17:37 IST

The Australians need to play their aggressive brand of cricket and be at their absolute best if they are to beat India in the second Test, says visiting all-rounder Shane Watson.

Watson, who in the team only as a batsman these days, said the side is determined to do well after suffering a heavy defeat in the series-opener in Chennai.

"We need to win this Test match. We need to be certainly at our absolute best to beat India. They played very well in the first Test. Ashwin bowled beautifully in those conditions and M S Dhoni batted unbelievably well to take the game away from our reach.

"So we have to be certainly at our absolute best," Watson said, after team's practice session on Thursday.

"We need to play our aggressive brand of cricket where we are best as a team. We need to find a way to make sure that we play that brand of cricket. We will be making sure as a team go out there and make sure that we are really up for the contest," he added.

Back
Top Bottom