The Cricket Chat Thread !!

• Thread starter Thread starter Karthik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 562
  • Views Views: Views 38,076
RE: Cricket In Daily Newspapers

Symonds is a lovely guy, says Harbhajan

eBGFl.jpg

It seems as if the most bitter feud in world cricket is over with Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh and Australia all-rounder Andrew Symonds calling a truce.

Putting behind the infamous “Monkeygate” scandal, Harbhajan told The Sunday Mail: “I think Andrew Symonds is a lovely guy.”

Both Harbhajan and Symonds play for the Indian Premier League side Mumbai Indians and the “Turbanator” said that while sharing the same dressing room he had realised that the Aussie is a good person.

“I have played with him at the Mumbai Indians and I found out he is a really good guy. Me and Symo do not have any problems at all and we get on very well. I understand him now and I think he understands me,” insisted Harbhajan, who is not in the India Test team for the upcoming series against Australia. “I am really happy he is enjoying his life and all I want is the very best for him. I know some people have said that we don't get on too well. We had some problems but that is all in the past. We are friends. We played well together for Mumbai,” he added.

Harbhajan and Symonds collided in 2008 at the Sydney Cricket Ground when the Indian allegedly called the later a monkey during a hot-blooded Test.

India threatened to quit the tour after Harbhajan was suspended for three matches but it was averted when the International Cricket Council overturned the ban.
Newspaper:The Hindu, 19th Dec

PCB optimistic of playing Test series with India in 2012

Tq2TS.jpg

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is optimistic of playing India in a Test series next year, Chairman Zaka Ashraf has said.

“The Indian board chief, N Srinivasan, didn’t come to attend the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) meeting in Singapore, so the issue of next year’s series could not be discussed,” The Daily Times quoted Ashraf, as saying.

“But I will meet him next month on the sidelines of the ICC meeting in Dubai and hopefully some solution can be found to having the series with India,” he added.

Ashraf’s statement came after the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) confirmed that the Asia Cup would be held as per schedule in Bangladesh, which ruled out the possibility of Pakistan touring India around the same time for the Test series.

The fifth edition of the IPL is scheduled to commence around April 12.

Ashraf, however, said he was not disappointed with the ACC decision.
Newspaper:Indian Express,19th Dec

Boucher 'best keeper-batsman in the history of SA cricket': Symcox

4yKaA.jpg

Former off-spinner Pat Symcox has reckoned that South African cricketer Mark Boucher is the Proteas' best option as wicketkeeper in Test matches.

His comments came after Boucher scored 65 runs and took first three catches of the Sri Lanka's second innings on the third day of the opening Test match in Centurion. Boucher faced 101 balls and struck 10 boundaries, which signaled his return to form.

He had earlier posted a record last-wicket partnership of 61 with Imran Tahir at SuperSport Park. Symcox came out in support for Boucher on the micro-blogging site Twitter.

"Boucher's contribution significant again. Those who think his time is up are wrong. There is no-one better right now," Sport 24 quoted Symcox, as saying.

"Keep playing on your bagpipes, bud! Bouchie is the best keeper-batsman in the history of SA cricket!" he added.
Newspaper:Mid Day,19th Dec

Greg Chappell is 'mad', says Ganguly

FduIr.jpg

There was no love lost between Sourav Ganguly and the then India coach Greg Chappell, but the former Indian captain has taken their feud a step further by calling the Australian 'mad'.

Reacting to reports that Chappell would 'demystify' Sachin Tendulkar and other Indian greats for the Australian bowlers during the upcoming Test series, Ganguly said 'this was good news' for the Indian team.

"He has been a selector and also the head of their academy (Australian Centre of Excellence in Brisbane) and he has been thrown out from there as well. When he came to India, it was said that his Australian mindset won't work here but he couldn't work in the Australian set up as well," Ganguly said.

The former India skipper said Chappell has proved to be a failure in every coaching-related assignment he has taken up, which is enough proof that the fault lies with him.
Newspaper:The Asian Age,20th Dec

More cricketers should bring their kids to nets, says Dean Jones

240yr.jpg

Sachin Tendulkar bowled to son Arjun for close to 30 minutes at the indoor nets here of the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) yesterday. While a lot of journalists were familiar with the phenomenon that unfolded, an Australian former batting great couldn't get enough of it. He watched the entire session like a hawk. A little later, Arjun bowled his left-arm seamers to Virender Sehwag.

"What's your favourite shot, mate?" Dean Jones asked young Arjun, before inquiring about who was coaching the teenager and whether he was a lover of Twenty20 cricket.
MiD DAY asked Jones if any of his teammates brought their son to the nets in the 1980s. "Geoff Marsh used to bring young Shaun to the nets. I've seen that kid evolve as a cricketer over the years. It was a beautiful thing that Geoff used to get the family on tour. We've known Shaun for so long. What's better than to know what it's like in such an atmosphere? I think more cricketers should bring their kids to the nets, it's an amazing trend."

"I think it's very important for the kids to talk to more cricketers. Forget about all the coaching he will receive in the future, just spending time with cricketers at the nets should give him so much to pick up from," added Jones.
Newspaper:Mid Day, 24th Dec

Greg Chappell bats for DRS

S32m5.jpg

Former India coach Greg Chappell has strongly advocated the use of Decision Review System in all bilateral Test series, saying technology helps in reducing mistakes.

The issue of absence of DRS hotted up after Mike Hussey and Ed Cowan were controversially dismissed on the opening day of
the first Test between India and Australia on Monday.

The BCCI is the only cricket Board which is against the use of DRS in bilateral series.

"Technology is not perfect but the technology has taken the pressure of the umpires. If there's a chance that the really bad ones are overturned and the game is better for it then we should have the technology," Chappell said.

"If you are going to use it then you have got to use it everywhere. I can understand why some of the India batsmen don't want to use the DRS. I think as a batsman you are more likely to get the close decisions to go your way (without DRS).

"If you have the review system, chances are you will be given out more likely than not. We saw today why we probably need the review system," Chappell told Fox Sports News and Views.

Chappell felt that India's financial might has forced ICC to not implement DRS uniformly.

"You have got to think there's politics there in some way, shape or form. The fact that they are so powerful they (ICC) pretty much can make the decisions that suit them best.

"Their argument is that it's not conclusive always. There are mistakes made so they would rather go with the umpire's decision," he said.
Newspaper:Hindustan Times, 28th Dec

India's famed batsmen have chinks in their armour: Arthur

iPa69.jpg

SYDNEY: Australia cricket coach Mickey Arthur has thrown down the gauntlet to India's famed batsmen by claiming that they have "chinks in their armour" and his team's young pace attack has inflicted "psychological blows" on them for the remainder of the ongoing Test series.

"They all have chinks in their armour. They all come with great records and fantastic scores. Yet every batsman in world cricket loves to keep scoring. If we can step the dot balls up and build pressure, it's a way in for us. Pressure is the name of the game in Test cricket," said Arthur after his young pace attack laid low the Indians in both innings of the first Test.

"We could keep them under the pump (in Melbourne) long enough. I would like to think we have struck some psychological blows," stated Arthur as he looked to build an early lead into a 2-0 advantage during the second Test at the SCG, starting on Tuesday.

Indian batsmen appeared shell-shocked against the pace trio of James Pattinson, Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus at the MCG, losing their last eight wickets for 68 runs in the first innings and being all out for 169 in the second. The pace trio took as many as 19 of the 20 Indian wickets

Arthur, who had earlier coached South Africa, mocked the Indian batting line-up and claimed he now has "information" on them to execute the plans better in Sydney.

"I do think our bowlers were very good. I do think we executed over plans very well. I do think we now have a lot of information we can use going forward. We will alter our game plan slightly for the top four of the six.

"There is enough information to enable us to do it."

Arthur has no fears that Tendulkar averages 221.33 from his four Tests in Sydney and that he once struck 241 at the hallowed turf. Another Indian veteran, VVS Laxman also averages 96.20 at the SCG and has three hundreds from as many matches.
Newspaper:Times Of India,31st Dec

Dav Whatmore quits as KKR coach

B0pYZ.jpg

Dav Whatmore resigned as head coach of Indian Premier League franchise Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR).

He is the front runner to become Pakistan's next coach.

PCB officials have invited the Australian to Pakistan to discuss his appointment in the second week of January.

Venky Mysore, chief executive of KKR, has lent his support to Whatmore's desire.

"We have been most supportive of Dav's keen interest in pursuing an international coaching role," he said.
Newspaper:Mid Day, 2nd Jan 12

We are not running after BCCI to resume cricket ties: PCB

ijQEz.jpg

The PCB today said there was nothing bigger than India-Pakistan matches for cricket fans in Pakistan but refuted suggestions that it was running after the BCCI for the resumption of bilateral cricket ties between the two countries. The cricket ties between India and Pakistan stand
suspended since 2008 Mumbai terror attack. "We are an independent body and there is no question of us running after the Indian board to resume bilateral cricket series," Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Zaka Ashraf said at a meet the press programme at the Karachi Press Club.

"I have made efforts to convince the Indian board to resume bilateral ties because people of both countries and even the critics and sponsors want to see Indo-Pak matches. "I know that the day we resume ties and play a series with India, it will have a big impact on Pakistan cricket because for the Pakistani people there is nothing bigger than matches with India," he said.

Ashraf also dismissed suggestions that the PCB had gone out of its way to have friendly ties with the Indians but they had not responded likewise and the PCB Chairman had to cancel a planned visit to India. "Yes since I took over as Chairman we took the initiative to write to them and other Boards to support us in resuming international cricket activities in Pakistan. But it is not right to say the Indians have rejected our friendly overtures."

The PCB chief explained that Indo-Pak relations were
governed and influenced by the governments.

"The Indian Board has told us that they have written to their concerned ministries to get clearance to plan a bilateral series with us. Similarly we have also written to our foreign ministry in this connection. I am pretty hopeful there will be some positive development soon. But it is a fact that the Indians also want to play a series with us," he said.

The PCB suffered a major setback when the Indian board refused to confirm the scheduled tour of Pakistan to India next year in March-April. Among the different reasons given for not confirming the dates were clearance from the government, the organisation of the Asia Cup in Bangladesh in March and the IPL. "We want to play India but it is not correct to suggest that we are running after them and they are ignoring us. The bottom line is that as Chairman of the board I want to have good relations with all the boards and not just India," he added.
Newspaper:Hindustan Times, 11th Jan 12

Back
Top Bottom