The Cricket Chat Thread !!

• Thread starter Thread starter Karthik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 562
  • Views Views: Views 38,076
RE: Cricket In Daily Newspapers

Hope spot-fixing convictions help cricket in long run: Waqar

FN6yM.jpg

He is dismayed by the conviction of three Pakistan cricketers in the spot-fixing scam but former head coach Waqar Younis hopes it would prove beneficial to the game in the long run.
"I hope that the outcome of the trial would prove beneficial to cricket in the future and also serve as
a deterrent to other players," Waqar said from Dubai.

The former Test captain, who resigned as coach in September after the Zimbabwe tour due to personal and health reasons, said for him the spot-fixing scandal had been one of the darkest chapters of his cricket career.

Waqar was the coach when the scandal first broke out last September resulting in bans on the implicated three Pakistani players, Salman Butt, Muhammad Asif and Mouhammad Amir by the ICC's Anti-corruption tribunal and jail terms by the Southwark Crown Court in London after a criminal trial.

The court handed out a 30-month sentence to Butt, who was Test captain on the England tour, Asif was given a one-year jail term and 19-year-old Amir was asked to spend six months in a youth detention and correction centre.

Waqar said for him and Pakistan cricket, the spot-fixing scandal and subsequent developments related to it had been torture.

"I salute our team which despite this dark episode kept on focusing on the game and performing well even though there was so much pressure and spotlight on the team because of the scandal," Waqar recalled.

"The scandal I thought overshadowed the emergence of our team in England as a fighting combination," he added.
Newspaper:The Hindu, 5th Nov

Pak media offers no support to jailed players

Bhv47.jpg

Islamabad: Under front-page headlines such as "Plain betrayal" and "Teammates to inmates," the Pakistan media on Friday offered no sympathy to the three international cricketers jailed in Britain for match-fixing.

"The trio's supporters will be barking up the wrong tree," said Islamabad-based daily The News. "The truth is that the three players were blinded by greed."

"In sport, just like in any other sphere of life, there should be no tolerance for cheats and thieves. They belong not on the playing field but in prison."

Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir were sentenced to varying jail sentences at a London court on Thursday. They were convicted of conspiring with agent Mazhar Majeed to bowl no-balls at pre-determined times as part of a betting scam during a Test match against England last year.

"That three former Pakistan cricketers, all stars in their own right, will be spending time in jail in a British prison will rankle many a Pakistani, regardless of whether he follows cricket or not," said English language daily The Express Tribune.

"But one needs to look at this dispassionately and from the point of view of whether justice has been done, and what this unpleasant and unsavoury episode means for cricket."

The three players, "once the darlings of Pakistan" according to The News, had already been handed lengthy bans by the International Cricket Council, all but ending the careers of 27-year-old former captain Butt and 28-year-old Asif.

Amir, who was considered one of the world's best young bowlers, is still only 19 and could make a comeback. He was given a six-month prison term and has been banned for five years by the ICC.

Match-fixing is not new in Pakistan cricket.

Former Test captain Salim Malik and fast bowler Ataur Rehman were handed life bans in 2000 following a judicial inquiry, although the suspensions were later lifted.

Noman Niaz, cricket analyst and a former assistant manager of the Pakistan national team, said the shock of the prison terms could help stamp out corruption in the game.

"We, as a whole nation, are ashamed after yesterday's sentencing, but at least it's a step in the right direction," he told The Associated Press.

"It could send a very strong message to all the players that if they are caught, there's every likelihood that they could end up in prison."
Source:cricnext

Wish Aamer could return to cricket quickly: Razzaq

QF1Zy.jpg

MUMBAI: Even though England skipper Andrew Strauss has extended the olive branch to Pakistan, saying his team holds no grudge against them after the spot-fixing saga, all-rounder Abdul Razzaq feels it won't be easy for the Pakistan players to shrug off the stigma.

"I am personally sad because a youngster of the calibre of Mohammad Aamer was involved in it, but I welcome the ICC's decision and the judgment that followed," Razzaq told TOI on Saturday.

"The scandal broke out in the series against England and we will play them soon again. But in spite of the on-field bonhomie, some estrangement is bound to exist," he added.

The spot-fixing scandal that broke out during the Lord's Test last year not only put Pakistan in the eye of storm, but also tainted England somewhat.
Newspaper:Times of India, 6th Nov

Chappell: ICC's ACSU had little to do nabbing fixers

Jailing of Butt, Asif, Amir is a strong message to others, but ICC's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit has had little to do with the capture of any of the conspirators

It's time to cut through all the crap surrounding cricket's fixing problem. Sure, the jailing of three Pakistan players and a fixer sends a strong message to other players about what might happen to them if they decide to take a walk on the dark side. But what about all the questions left unanswered?
73bbg.jpg

Marlon Samuels is back despite being caught.

The Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU) has had little to do with the capture of any of cricket's major conspirators. This is a concern, as there's enough information out there that surely more players should've at least had their cage rattled.

I had a conversation with an ACSU man that left me wondering if they really understand the type of people who are behind this dirty business. The ACSU guy expressed surprise when it was reported that the Pakistan players planned another fix in the Oval ODI against England.

He couldn't believe the players would be so brazen as to get involved again so soon after the newspaper sting on the Lord's Test had become public knowledge. The fact that he thought the players who had been compromised had some say in when the fix went down, left me incredulous. If he doesn't understand it's the crooks who make the demands once they've got their hooks into a player, then it's not surprising the ACSU doesn't catch more cricketers.
Newspaper:Mid Day, 7th Nov

Shane Warne returns to play Big Bash T20

EJLq3.jpg

Melbourne: Spin legend Shane Warne will make his return from a short-lived retirement after signing for the full season with the Melbourne Stars in Australia's revamped Big Bash League Twenty20 tournament.

Warne told a media conference on Tuesday that once he decided to make his comeback in the Big Bash, he was determined to play the full season rather than a token one or two appearances.

There was no bigger panicker than Ganguly: Chappell

K0KRm.jpg

MELBOURNE: Their soured relationship was no secret but the attack launched by former India cricket coach Greg Chappell on Sourav Ganguly in his just-published autobiography reveals the Australian's much deeper bitterness towards the ex-Indian skipper.

There was "no bigger panicker" than Ganguly, writes Chappell about the elegant left-hander who is till now India's most successful captain.

Chappell acknowledges that Ganguly's support was one of the reasons he got the coach's job in 2005. But states that the Indian's idea probably was 'you scratch my back, I scratch yours'.

"He expected I would be so grateful to him for getting me the job that I'd become his henchman in his battle to remain captain. I, on the other hand, took on a job with the primary responsibility to Indian cricket and the Indian people," Chappell says in the book 'Fierce Focus'.

During his three-year tenure as coach, Chappell was accused of dividing the team, a charge he virtually confirms.

Chappell said such was the hierarchy in the team that youngsters were petrified of speaking before a senior such as Sachin Tendulkar in the team meetings.
Newspaper:Times Of India,9th Nov

Misconception that Ganguly got Chappell coach's job: Gavaskar

3paJw.jpg

Former India coach Greg Chappell has always acknowledged that Sourav Ganguly's support was one of the reasons he got the coaching job in 2005 but Sunil Gavaskar sought to put the record straight by saying that it is a "misconception".

Revealing details of the tumultuous relationship he shared with former captain Ganguly in his autobiography 'Fierce Focus', Chappell revealed that there was "no bigger panicker" than Ganguly and that the left-hander's idea probably was 'you scratch my back, I scratch yours'.

But the attack launched by Chappell on Dada has not gone down well with legendary batsman Gavaskar.

"What he is saying constantly is that Sourav Ganguly got him the job, that is wrong, that's a misconception like a lot of misconceptions he has had about Ganguly. But that the first misconception that Ganguly got him the job.

"Ganguly did not get him the job. He might have been consulted but he did not get him the job. It was the committee that got him the job but that's the first misconception and with that a lot of other misconceptions about Dada followed," said Gavaskar.
Newspaper:Indian Express, 9th Nov

Watson is the best all-rounder at present: Klusener

NCNQg.jpg

Former South Africa all—rounder Lance Klusener says Shane Watson of Australia is the best in the business when it comes to performing with both bat and ball at the moment.

According to Klusener, the Aussie has taken his game to the next level.

“Shane Watson of Australia I think is really good. He is the best all—rounder at the moment. The way he has improved over the years and taken his game to the next level, is incredible,” said Klusener after South Africa beat India in the World Cricket Legends 12—over—a—side game in the Wild, organised by Beyond Boundaries.

Speaking on South African cricket, the 40—year—old hoped Gary Kirsten would be able to replicate India’s success as the coach of the Proteas and help them get rid of the chokers’ tag.

“It is just a stupid thing (the chokers’ tag) that we can’t get over it. The team has done a great job but people will talk about it till we actually win major events,” said Klusener.

“Gary Kirsten knows what to do and that is something I think should help South Africa cricket. What he did back in India was really good,” he added.

Taking a walk down memory lane, Klusener recollected his Man—of—the—Series performance in the 1999 World Cup, when he almost single—handedly steered South Africa into the final of the mega—event before losing to Australia in the semifinal, thanks to a terrible mix—up between him and Allan Donald.
Newspaper: The Hindu, 17th Nov

After 100th ton, Sachin to donate bat to Eden Gardens

n5vKN.jpg

Batting genius Sachin Tendulkar has promised to donate the bat with which he scores his 100th international century to the proposed cricket museum at the Eden Gardens, a Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) official claimed Thursday. "Sachin has told us that he would donate the bat with
which he scores his 100th international hundred to the cricket museum," CAB joint secretary Biswarup Dey told mediapersons here.

Tendulkar also donated his gloves and a national team jersey after the Mahendra Singh Dhoni led side defeated the West Indies at the Eden Gardens Thursday to record India's 75th Test win on home soil.

Dhoni also gifted the CAB the bat with which he struck a hundred in the second Test that ended here in a thumping innings and 15 run win for India.

Keeping in mind the milestone of the 75th win, the CAB had requested the Indian team to donate some memorabilia like their cricketing gear.

The equipment will be displayed in the "India's 75th Test win at Home" section of the museum.
Newspaper:Hindustan Times, 18th Nov

Pakistan players working hard to wipe off fixing slur: Rameez Raja

2pdPB.jpg

Karachi: Former Pakistan captain Rameez Raja feels the country's cricketers are trying hard to regain their credibility that has been shaken by the spot-fixing scandal by trying hard to win each and every match they play.

Former coach Waqar Younis and Rameez agreed that Pakistan's one-day series win over Sri Lanka and its fighting performance on Sunday in the fourth match was important after the damage caused by the spot-fixing scandal.

"I think after the damage done by the spot-fixing issue and the turbulent times and trials that Pakistan cricket has been through the players themselves want to just win every match to regain their credibility as a team and to win back the confidence of their supporters and cricket fans all over the world," Rameez said.

He said the winning streak is a very positive development for Pakistan cricket which needed to do well to get back on track. Rameez also credited good captaincy from Misbah-ul-Haq for the turnaround in fortunes.

Waqar, who remained Pakistan's head coach until the Zimbabwe tour in September after which he stepped down on personal and health grounds, agreed with Rameez.

Both the former captains were speaking in a post-match session after Pakistan clinched the fourth one-dayer to take a unbeatable 3-1 lead in the five-match series.

Waqar, who played an influential role in Pakistan's rise as a team since last year, said Misbah deserved a lot of credit for the consistent performances of the team.

"He is calm, calculated and disciplined and has led the side well. The players have responded to his style of captaincy in the last six months," the former fast bowler said.

"It is good they are taking it one match at a time instead of focusing on long term goals. This approach has worked for them and now one can see this team is on a roll with a good bowling attack," he said.
Source:cricnext

Back
Top Bottom