Breaking Sportscasters might see 10-15% drop in subs rev due to proposed amendments in Sports Act

I have zero sympathy with Star or BCCI, working for sports development is a great thing but trying to garner exaggerated amount for rights & acting greedy is not the right path to walk. BCCI is charging way too much for India Cricket and IPL thus not only creating difficult situation for Star but inturn Star India is boring us with cricket highlights across 6 channels to recover investment. I would have supported Star if they objected unfair pricing by BCCI & advocated for consumer rights but they chose to increase channel prices & launching more useless channels to further burden us. If this decision by government brings +ve change then we should welcome it, when their revenues r hit hard then they will automatically not be able to pay more to BCCI.

Some experts in the article are saying why should DD be allowed to telecast these sport events on all platforms bcoz they are not paying single penny to get rights for the same + It's an excercise to add some viewership , well all i can say is that many people who have private DTH connections are not so financially well off to pay *Only Rs. 2/day for watching a match or series hence if private broadcaster have no respect for them then they shouldn't protest if arrangements are made to address their concern.

All arrangements in public interests are always welcome and appreciated, such an arrangement already exists to allow DD to telecast events on DTT and DD Free dish.
Having said that, Forcing Pay TV operators, that have a subscription model, to carry a govt. owned channel with a feed that it obtains for free, obviously it's a move to gain additional viewership for DD without any additional effort.
Also Sports properties are lucrative and are always sold at a high price worldwide.
Yes there are laws allowing Free To Air Channels, e.g. in Australia, the rights to first refusal, wherin FTA networks are allowed to first bid for rights, even jointly with Pay networks for rights, so as to distribute on their FTA channels.
But Yes They pay for a part of rights, Unlike DD which gets it for free and then distributes its to generate revenue out of it (although its just 25% of ad revenue generated)

If government wants it free to air on private DTH, they should direct the right holder to broadcast the match also on an FTA channel like Star Sports First and direct the DTH to make that channel available in the base pack. Asking the rights holder to give it free to DD Sports and letting them air it on private DTH is not good.

All arrangements in public interests are always welcome and appreciated, such an arrangement already exists to allow DD to telecast events on DTT and DD Free dish.
Having said that, Forcing Pay TV operators, that have a subscription model, to carry a govt. owned channel with a feed that it obtains for free, obviously it's a move to gain additional viewership for DD without any additional effort.
Also Sports properties are lucrative and are always sold at a high price worldwide.
Yes there are laws allowing Free To Air Channels, e.g. in Australia, the rights to first refusal, wherin FTA networks are allowed to first bid for rights, even jointly with Pay networks for rights, so as to distribute on their FTA channels.
But Yes They pay for a part of rights, Unlike DD which gets it for free and then distributes its to generate revenue out of it (although its just 25% of ad revenue generated)

Brother we are not Australia or UK where people pay licence fee for public servive broadcasters & inturn these channels provide excellent content in all spheres to them. Their professional level & work integrity is of high standard & major population belongs to upper end of strata hence that model can't be applied here.

As i mentioned, if BCCI or Star cared little for us then bid amount won't have reached such astronomical level which makes the business model unsustainable. I surely not want another 3 channels showing IPL highlights all day long in near future, government personal + official twitter handles were receiving immense -ve feedback about blocking of DD Sports and private operators charging exceedingly high price for Star Sports so to address this concern steps are being taken. There is nothing wrong about it . Also IPL has been made into this very big event just bcoz of massive publicity, i don't watch it nor find anything special in it. There are many other prestigious sport events which are more interesting but they don't go overboard in selling broadcast rights. Don't fall for hype, see the real worth

If government wants it free to air on private DTH, they should direct the right holder to broadcast the match also on an FTA channel like Star Sports First and direct the DTH to make that channel available in the base pack. Asking the rights holder to give it free to DD Sports and letting them air it on private DTH is not good.
Why don't government acquire the rights of the sporting events by spending out millions of dollars for their own channels?

Why don't government acquire the rights of the sporting events by spending out millions of dollars for their own channels?

Bhai, here Prasar Bharti is unable to run National Channel properly or increase Free Dish Channel count or launch new DD channels for year together, all their channels have lowest popularity and u r daydreaming of them being able to spend millions of $ for rights. Impossible task, no one concerned to run their channels efficiently. Infact they should close some DD channels to save our tax money. DD in 90's lot better than the mess it is today. Had so much potential bcoz of reach and brand recall but wasted bcoz of mismanagement

Bhai, here Prasar Bharti is unable to run National Channel properly or increase Free Dish Channel count or launch new DD channels for year together, all their channels have lowest popularity and u r daydreaming of them being able to spend millions of $ for rights. Impossible task, no one concerned to run their channels efficiently. Infact they should close some DD channels to save our tax money. DD in 90's lot better than the mess it is today. Had so much potential bcoz of reach and brand recall but wasted bcoz of mismanagement
That's my point as well. DD wants to have the cake and eat it too.

That's my point as well. DD wants to have the cake and eat it too.

They are being forced to have few portions of cake as other party is over eating & asking us to shell out more for buying it abnormal prices. If u try to buy a 1 Kg cake from local shop at Rs. 2000 & then sell it to 100 people with limited means of earning at 200 per slice then surely after protests government will try to deliver justice by cutting ur profit & save starving citizens

Brother we are not Australia or UK where people pay licence fee for public servive broadcasters & inturn these channels provide excellent content in all spheres to them. Their professional level & work integrity is of high standard & major population belongs to upper end of strata hence that model can't be applied here.

As i mentioned, if BCCI or Star cared little for us then bid amount won't have reached such astronomical level which makes the business model unsustainable. I surely not want another 3 channels showing IPL highlights all day long in near future, government personal + official twitter handles were receiving immense -ve feedback about blocking of DD Sports and private operators charging exceedingly high price for Star Sports so to address this concern steps are being taken. There is nothing wrong about it . Also IPL has been made into this very big event just bcoz of massive publicity, i don't watch it nor find anything special in it. There are many other prestigious sport events which are more interesting but they don't go overboard in selling broadcast rights. Don't fall for hype, see the real worth
Whatever be the rights value, private channels fight for it and pay for it, unlike DD which wants things for free, DD could have bid for rights to show it on pay tv as well, instead it opts for Govt. support to get things for free and on top of it generate revenue from it wanting it to reach Pay TV as well, If DD isn't capable to invest it shouldn't be allowed to transmit these events it on Pay TV as it is now, and about public interests, -ve feedback and all, we in India readily accept what we get for free with both hands, here, DD seems to be cashing in by playing the emotional card, citing public interests, DD is definitely targeting maximum revenue, without even thinking about the losses it will cause to the original rights holders.

Edit: Media Rights belong to the rights holders, DD Broadcasting on DD Freedish and DTT is fine, but not opting to buy the rights and then seeking Govt. support to reach Pay TV household, its like seeking monopoly, that too without any investment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock