Seeking Help Should the new Linux and Ubuntu be installed on the same drive as Windows or different drive ?

I think I have already informed in my previous post few days back that my internal dvd drive is not working,so I have to rely on the asus usb external dvd drive.

So which option to choose for booting from ubuntu dvd ?
Bro you can use pendrive also ..... you are using external dvd drive you'll need to boot pc from external dvd drive

Thanks for your opinion.

In case I install Linux / Ubuntu on a seperate drive how to switch between Windows and Linux after installing Ubuntu ?

I mean what will be the method ?

When you Install Windows first on C drive then install Linux on another Drive, linux will bydefault install Grub 2 bootloader. So when you start computer, after lenovo/dell/HP logo Grub 2 will ask you to select OS you want to boot. You have to use UP/Down arrow key and press enter to select Windows or linux.

One thing to note that Windows needs to be installed on primary partition, it cannot be installed on Logical partition but linux can be installed logical partition also. And if you use MBR then you cannot have more than 4 Primary partition but you can have many logical partition. Windows bydefault create a hidden primary partition of 500 MB (System reserved) and a C drive(Again primary) So You only have one Primary partition left for storing data. 4th partition needs to be a logical one and here you can install Linux. There is no such problem if you hv GPT.

When you Install Windows first on C drive then install Linux on another Drive, linux will bydefault install Grub 2 bootloader. So when you start computer, after lenovo/dell/HP logo Grub 2 will ask you to select OS you want to boot. You have to use UP/Down arrow key and press enter to select Windows or linux.

One thing to note that Windows needs to be installed on primary partition, it cannot be installed on Logical partition but linux can be installed logical partition also. And if you use MBR then you cannot have more than 4 Primary partition but you can have many logical partition. Windows bydefault create a hidden primary partition of 500 MB (System reserved) and a C drive(Again primary) So You only have one Primary partition left for storing data. 4th partition needs to be a logical one and here you can install Linux. There is no such problem if you hv GPT.

Thanks for the info Bro,

Windows has been installed on C drive.

By the way what is primary and logical drives ?How to recognise each ?

What is meant by MBR and GPT ?

Bro you can use pendrive also ..... you are using external dvd drive you'll need to boot pc from external dvd drive

Bro,there is no option for booting via External DVD Drive ?
Will the option appear when I attach External DVD Drive to the laptop ?

Thanks for the info Bro,

Windows has been installed on C drive.

By the way what is primary and logical drives ?How to recognise each ?

What is meant by MBR and GPT ?

Basically these are the ways to store data on your hard disk. GPT is modern, MBR is old.

Google is your friend bro so use it to know more about these things before messing with dual boot stuff. Otherwise you may run into many problems.

I think you should not try to dual boot as it seems you are not familiar with these things. So I recommend you to try Linux in Virtual Box within Windows as it's the safest way.

use Virtualbox from Oracle it is very easy to use, create hard disk file on external USB hard disk, install whatever os you want.
Once env is setup keep a backup of your hard disk file ( generally files are VHD,VDX etc)

Bro,there is no option for booting via External DVD Drive ?
Will the option appear when I attach External DVD Drive to the laptop ?
Bro connect external drive and select usb device from the boot menu list or set your pc to boot from external usb device in the bios settings

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock