Scotland to host Afghanistan for two ODIs in July

ABCDEFGH

Reaction score
Scotland to host Afghanistan for two ODIs in July

prv_1e117_1461591536.jpg

Scotland will take on highly-improved Afghanistan in two One-Day Internationals (ODIs) at the Grange in Edinburgh later this year, Cricket Scotland announced on Monday (April 25). The two games are scheduled to be played on July 4 and July 6 respectively and will see Prestom Mommsen's side play an ODI for the first time since their game against Hong Kong earlier this year.

The scheduling of the two-match series follows Mommsen's claims during the recently-concluded ICC World T20 that a general dearth of international fixtures had hindered development of the Scotland national side.

"I do go on about it, but there is a lack of international cricket for us," he told. "Since the 2015 World Cup, I have played in one ODI match - in 12 months. So, you tell me how I'm going to improve my skills and develop as a cricketer. That definitely has something to do with it. Playing under pressure, being exposed to a higher level of skill, exposed to different conditions, you know it all adds up, every little percentage."

The two sides met each other at the qualifying stage of that tournament with Afghanistan clinching a 14-run win enroute securing passage to the main round of the tournament, where they went on to record a win over eventual champions West Indies. Afghanistan also beat Scotland by one wicket in a thriller at Dunedin during the 50-over World Cup in 2015.

"Afghanistan have improved over the past year on the back of exposure to International cricket against full member nations," said Grant Bradburn, Scotland's head coach. "They fully deserve their current standing as one of the leading Associate nations, and we relish the chance to take them on at the Grange in July.

"Although we respect them as a quality team, we also know we have the skills to beat them again and we look forward to locking horns with them over the two match ODI series."

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/79546/scotland-cricket-team-to-host-afghanistan-cricket-team-for-two-odis-in-july

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock