• Start date
  • Replies: Replies 8
  • Views: Views 884

Bapun

Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
NEW DELHI: The hacktivist group Anonymous India has yet again accused Reliance Jio of of selling user call data to ad networks of US and Singapore without the consent of users, a report by Hindu Business Line said today.

A year back the same group had accused Jio of sending private data including user location to China. The group claimed that the data was being sent to China IP without any encryption, the claims were denied by Jio then.

For their recent accusation, Anonymous also released a self-explanatory tutorial to support the allegations, explaining what Jio is sharing with international servers.

According to the report, Anonymous India said two Jio apps, including My Jio and Jio Dialer, are sending user information to an ad network called Mad-Me.

Reliance Jio has denied the claims, as one of its spokesperson told the publication, "Jio takes its customers' security and privacy very seriously. In keeping with its highest standards of governance, Jio does not share its customers' data with any other entity. Any information captured by Jio is only for internal analysis to deliver better quality of service and recommend offerings from Jio's product portfolio."

The hacking group now says that the Jio app is relatively more secure than it was last year. However they also said that out of all the apps from other operators that the group has tested, only Jio's apps were found to be sharing data internationally.

Reliance Jio selling user data to ad networks: Report | ET Telecom

And now think what can happen if you have provided an aadhar card as proof. This is not new. Credit card companies who give "free for life" cards to some customers when the card is actually a paid one if taken officially via bank, sell the data to ad networks. You will start getting spam sms and calls soon.

techmania said:
And now think what can happen if you have provided an aadhar card as proof. This is not new. Credit card companies who give "free for life" cards to some customers when the card is actually a paid one if taken officially via bank, sell the data to ad networks. You will start getting spam sms and calls soon.

What about DND ? :huh

BTW they cannot share AAdhar data without customer approval bcoz of Latest Govt Notification on supreme court recommendation.  ;)

@sarkar

Yes, that you will have to do to reduce the spam, but still you will get sms/calls from telemarketers who have not registered with trai mandated body.

Yes, some one should file a pil in supreme court taking this report as basis. Trai must not sleep as well and ensure that regulations are not flouted.

techmania said:
@sarkar

Yes, that you will have to do to reduce the spam, but still you will get sms/calls from telemarketers who have not registered with trai mandated body.

Yes, some one should file a pil in supreme court taking this report as basis. Trai must not sleep as well and ensure that regulations are not flouted.
In the event of receiving spam sms and calls, even if you have activated dnd, you can make a complaint regarding that particular ad to trai. It is a serious offence.

And i smell foul play in this accusation. I am not sure about it but Airtel and other telecoms can go any mile to malign the brand Jio.

You can expect more mud being thrown from both sides. Its all out war. You will also hear stories that trai is biased towards jio. We can safely ignore the politics being played by airtel/coai and jio. However, we cannot ignore privacy and selling of customer data. Let jio comment on this. I am sure they will do what is required to block if their network/apps are compromised.

Bro, practically asking.. what info of us will any telecom provider will sell and what harm can they do to us, apart from spams..
I am using airtel postpaid since 6 years and opted for dnd on first day itself. Since then i have never received any spam.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock