Ponting front-runner to replace coach Lehmann for Sri Lanka T20Is

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Ricky Ponting, Australian cricket legend, is seen as the front-runner to replace Australian coach Darren Lehmann during the Twenty20 series against Sri Lanka in February.

Australia will play their third and final Twenty20 match against Sri Lanka in Adelaide on February 22, with the first Test against India starting on February 23 in Pune. Thus, Australia will have a second-string team for the series against Sri Lanka and need a temporary replacement for Lehmann.

The Sheffield Shield will be played concurrently, which is likely to rule out Western Australia coach Justin Langer, who guided Australia during the tri-series in the Caribbean mid-year.

It means Ponting is the likely front-runner for the coveted position having guided the Mumbai Indians to the Indian Premier League title in his maiden season. Jason Gillespie, former Australian quick and Adelaide Strikers coach, also could be in the reckoning.

"We are speaking to a number of people about the prospect of coaching the T20 international side during the Sri Lanka Series due to Darren Lehmann and David Saker being in India," a Cricket Australia spokesperson told cricket.com.au on Saturday (October 29). "At this stage no decision has been made."

Ponting said "there had been a few inquiries". "Darren (Lehmann) will be away with that (Test) team, so they will need someone to coach the Australia T20 team here in Australia," he said on Australian radio show Rush Hour. "I'm not saying that's me ... let's wait and see over the next few months and there will be an announcement I'm sure."

Gillespie endorsed his former teammate for the role. "I think that would be a good thing for the Twenty20 side to have Ricky Ponting take the reins," Gillespie told cricket.com.au. "I think it would be a great coup for Cricket Australia if they could convince Ricky Ponting to take the reins for that.

"If he's not available, it would certainly be something I would look at," he added.

http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/...-to-replace-coach-lehmann-for-sri-lanka-t20is

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock