OTF Exclusive Pan India 2023 Spectrum holding chart

• Thread starter Basil
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 191
  • Views: Views 45,182
Yes rightly pointed out by you. The DoT had reserved that spectrum for BSNL but the fact that they didn't allot it to BSNL it points towards a shift in strategy. I'll go ahead and add it back to the unsold column (both bands 1 and 5) since it's likely they will put it up for auction next year.
If it had to be given to BSNL it probably would have been given yesterday along with the other spectrum.
Let me know if band 1 in total has 40Mhz or 60Mhz?

40 for commercial telecommunication and 20 for defence force equipment. Total 60 MHz. But as far as you and I are concerned the operators get only 40.
Thanks. I asked because sometime back you posted in chart under BSNL column 10Mhz in brown colour. Total was more than 40Mhz including RCom+Aircel spectrum. That DoD spectrum will get released? Anytime soon?

Now the validity of band 41 spectrum got renewed for BSNL? I mean they have allotted now, so why you have written 2042?

Last edited:
Total was more than 40Mhz including RCom+Aircel spectrum.
That has never been the case, from the start we have had only 40 MHz for band 1.

That DoD spectrum will get released? Anytime soon?
It's ministry of defence (MoD). And I doubt it will be released for telecom. Already in the past they have given 15 MHz for telecom which helped DoT to increase their holding from 25 to 40 MHz. And they had to give the MoD an equal amount of spectrum in band 2 1900 MHz.
Also now MoD is reducing its holding in band 3 1800 MHz in some circles and giving it to DoT increasing the holding from 55 to 65-70 MHz in those circles (DoT has 55 and MoD has 20 MHz in band 3).

Now the validity of band 41 spectrum got renewed for BSNL? I mean they have allotted now, so why you have written 2042?
I haven't mentioned the validity of BSNL spectrum in any band in any circle coz it makes no sense. It's a government undertaking and the same rules that apply to private players don't apply to them. Even when they complete 20 years since spectrum allotment they still continue using it and tell the DoT that the spectrum remained underutilised in the early years so they should get an extension on validity and the government is more than happy to do it since they are the promoters. So I have stopped mentioning validity for PSU operators. As you can see BSNL is in white which is a blank validity. I only mention the quantity of spectrum held by them in every band in all circles.

It's ministry of defence (MoD). And I doubt it will be released for telecom. Already in the past they have given 15 MHz for telecom which helped DoT to increase their holding from 25 to 40 MHz. And they had to give the MoD an equal amount of spectrum in band 2 1900 MHz.
Also now MoD is reducing its holding in band 3 1800 MHz in some circles and giving it to DoT increasing the holding from 55 to 65-70 MHz in those circles (DoT has 55 and MoD has 20 MHz in band 3).
I can smell something new here. Looks like Jio is aiming for PAN India 20MHz bandwidth of Band 3 (1800MHz) spectrum. It will be very much needed, once jio wants to use Band 40 for 5G in the near future.

Chart updated with freshly allotted 4G/5G spectrum to BSNL in 700 MHz, 2500 MHz, 3300 MHz, and 26 GHz bands by the Union Cabinet today.

1. 600 MHz band remains completely vacant as the earlier reserved spectrum for BSNL (10 MHz) in the band has been swapped for an equal quantity in the 700 MHz band due to the readily available device ecosystem.
  2. In the 2500 MHz band BSNL has been allotted 20 MHz each in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu circles and 10 MHz each in Maharashtra and Gujarat circles (Since Vi holds 30 MHz in these 2 circles leaving only 10 MHz for BSNL).
  3. In the 3300 MHz band BSNL has been allotted 70 MHz in each of the 22 telecom circles.
  4. In the 26 GHz band BSNL has been allotted 800 MHz Pan India except for Kerala circle where it has been allotted 650 MHz due to lack of available spectrum in the band as Vi had bid for a higher quantity of spectrum in this circle in the last auction.
I think it is done as election stunt ?

I can smell something new here. Looks like Jio is aiming for PAN India 20MHz bandwidth of Band 3 (1800MHz) spectrum. It will be very much needed, once jio wants to use Band 40 for 5G in the near future.
Very much impossible till Airtel and Vi spectrum will be put into auction by 2025-26.

Yes. Jio wants to use N40 as a single block but it's not possible till next two years. By 2026 start, you will start seeing that. Till then 100/130Mhz of N78, depending on the circle. It's more than enough for next three years as expansion will slow down if tariffs are not attractive.

Chart updated with freshly allotted 4G/5G spectrum to BSNL in 700 MHz, 2500 MHz, 3300 MHz, and 26 GHz bands by the Union Cabinet today.

1. 600 MHz band remains completely vacant as the earlier reserved spectrum for BSNL (10 MHz) in the band has been swapped for an equal quantity in the 700 MHz band due to the readily available device ecosystem.
  2. In the 2500 MHz band BSNL has been allotted 20 MHz each in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu circles and 10 MHz each in Maharashtra and Gujarat circles (Since Vi holds 30 MHz in these 2 circles leaving only 10 MHz for BSNL).
  3. In the 3300 MHz band BSNL has been allotted 70 MHz in each of the 22 telecom circles.
  4. In the 26 GHz band BSNL has been allotted 800 MHz Pan India except for Kerala circle where it has been allotted 650 MHz due to lack of available spectrum in the band as Vi had bid for a higher quantity of spectrum in this circle in the last auction.
also update total in each sheet "sub ghz" midband and
mention feb2024 in 900 and 1800 sheet, which is exiring for aircel , airtel etc.

i can see two major changes
1) airtel will shutdown 2g before expected due 2026, or day vi goes down or apply bankruptcy

2) so any extra spectrum held with bsnl in band 3 will be purely or DSS used to provide 2g service , as Bharat we dont really need 3 networks of less than 200 million real 2g users

3) airtel saying, jio also knows, that mid band is best harvested for PRIVATE 5G+4G at minimum investment with maximum profit, as DOT rejected administrative allocation of spectrum to CNPN, so telco has to keep buffer spectrum in mid-band only.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock