Good News One can get fined upto 50 lakhs and recieve a jail term for promoting discriminatory ads

• Thread starter iDJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 20
  • Views: Views 2,942

iDJ

Elite
Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
The government has proposed to amend the Drugs and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Act, 1954.

As per the draft bill prepared by the government, it could slap a fine of up to Rs 50 lakh and imprisonment up to five years for advertisements promoting pharmaceutical products for fairness of skin, deafness, improvement of height, hair loss or greying, obesity, among others.

5-year jail term, Rs 50 lakh fine for ads promoting skin fairness, govt proposes

I can't express my excitement here by just typing that hooowwww muuchh haaaaaaaaapppyy Iaam!!
This is REALLY MUCH MUCH NEEDED thing to do!
Realistically speaking this is not needed IMO. Business shall be free to sell their products by any means. Even if they are being unethical. If the claims they make found untrue. Then customer can hold companies accountable of false advertising.

These products might me discrimatory for some. But it keeps hopes up for people with low self esteem.

Society is responsible for existing of such products. Unless society changes. Individuals will face discrimination.

Last edited:
Realistically speaking this is not needed IMO. Business shall be free to sell their products by any means. Even if they are being unethical. If the claims they make found untrue. Then customer can hold companies accountable of false advertising.

These products might me discrimatory for some. But it keeps hopes up for people with low self esteem.

Society is responsible for existing of such products. Unless society changes. Individuals will face discrimination.
Wait, what?

Your argument is similar to how females are blamed for males abusing them.

What will be the purpose of fair and lovely? If the person I am facing is fine with me being a dark skinned person. And if some company is exploiting the flaws of the society employing hurdreds of employees and social media influencers. I don't seem to find anything wrong with it as long as the product actually works.

Here's a realistic example. My father was balding in the middle of head. He used that Livon tonic. He has full hair on his head. Without the advertisment. How was he suppose to know about the product? And I already said if the product doesn't work and companies are found making false claims. There should be a law to hold companies accountable for it.

The reason I don't like the advertisements is THE WAY they show it.
According to those ads, being black and bald means you WON'T get any success in your life!
Then in the ad, the model applies the product, and then he becomes successful in personal and professional life 🤦🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

And the reason I HATE those ads, is they EARN money by promoting insecurity among peoples!!

What will be the purpose of fair and lovely? If the person I am facing is fine with me being a dark skinned person. And if some company is exploiting the flaws of the society employing hurdreds of employees and social media influencers. I don't seem to find anything wrong with it as long as the product actually works.

Here's a realistic example. My father was balding in the middle of head. He used that Livon tonic. He has full hair on his head. Without the advertisment. How was he suppose to know about the product? And I already said if the product doesn't work and companies are found making false claims. There should be a law to hold companies accountable for it.
Brainwashing works very well from a young age through ads.

Its not the fault of society exclusively. Most people never cared until ads, Bollywood, Tollywood, etc started hyping fair skin against dark skin.

Now its in a self perpetuating lunatic cycle.

people never cared until ads, Bollywood, Tollywood, etc started hyping fair skin against dark skin
If a kid never see the over-hype about Fairness products, If we would've seen fair as well black/brown actors/actresses on TV normally since our childhood then we would've NEVER became this much obsessed with Fair Skin .

If a kid never see the over-hype about Fairness products, If we would've seen fair as well black/brown actors/actresses on TV normally since our childhood then we would've NEVER became this much obsessed with Fair Skin .
True. I don't really care about skin colour either way.
I grew up watching old Kannada movies which had plenty of dark skinned heroines.
Masala commerical movies, ads, etc with their obsession over skin colour and body of heroine and nothing else for over a decade now is abhorrent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock