Discussion Netflix trying to crack down on password sharing

Recently, during their earnings call, when one of the Analysts asked regarding Disney+ 's ever growing subscriptions, they replied casually like in India they offer the service at cheaper prices and its contributing 30% of their subscriptions. As if Disney or some others stopping them to offer compelling plans in India to grow their subs. They never gonna understand Indian market for sure atleast in the next few years by then people would have got a primary OTT subscription and some others which they like. By then it will be too late for them to penetrate.

If they would have made a plan like 199 a month or 1999 a year, with FHD, 1 stream across Devices they would have improved a lot in India.
Yes agreed...Instead of these new testing plans they should think and introduce Long duration plans...

Meanwhile that ₹499 plan is a stupid idea. No one's paying ₹499 for SD subscription.
Yeah.. imagine paying ₹499 to watch in SD quality on big screens like TV, PC or Tablet. Even on current day smartphones it is unwatchable. I think they should mention it explicitly with a asterisk -

₹199*
₹499*

*Recommended for iPhone SE users

It's better to add ₹500 more and buy an Amazon Prime subscription.
And you are sorted for a year. Along with Free & Fast Deliveries, Music, and Exclusive Cashbacks, Sales & Offers

If they would have made a plan like 199 a month or 1999 a year, with FHD, 1 stream across Devices they would have improved a lot in India.
m8frrJ3.jpg

As much as i like Netflix because of their content catalogue like The Witcher, Stranger things and some animes, i think they don't have any sense of how economics of streaming work in different countries. They try to implement USA model in India which is destined to fail. Hotstar/prime is a prime example of how to take advantage of market economics. They provided their service in a cheap rate with all service and now captured a huge share in streaming market. Netflix need to understand that People in India who watch their shows are still young and not earning much to sub them at such price. At the very least they need to introduce a sub 2k plan which will offer Full HD streaming to 1 screen at a time for a year. Just like Hotstar is doing. Otherwise they aren't going to capture Indian market.

Last edited:
As much as i like Netflix because of their content catalogue like The Witcher, Stranger things and some animes, i think they don't have any sense of how economics of streaming work in different countries. They try to implement USA model in India which is destined to fail. Hotstar/prime is a prime example of how to take advantage of market economics. They provided their service in a cheap rate with all service and now captured a huge share in streaming market. Netflix need to understand that People in India who watch their shows are still young and not earning much to sub them at such price. At the very least they need to introduce a sub 2k plan which will offer Full HD streaming to 1 screen at a time for a year. Just like Hotstar is doing. Otherwise they aren't going to capture Indian market.

Truly Agree with ur point...👍

But when 299 plan will be available in India...if available then surely I will upgrade

Last edited:
Netflix announced today that it will begin testing a new “add a home” feature to charge users who share their account with others in select countries. The test marks the streaming giant’s latest effort toward cracking down on password sharing. The test will prompt users to pay an additional fee if they use an account outside their household. Netflix will begin testing the feature in Argentina, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras next month.

Netflix announced today that it will begin testing a new “add a home” feature to charge users who share their account with others in select countries. The test marks the streaming giant’s latest effort toward cracking down on password sharing. The test will prompt users to pay an additional fee if they use an account outside their household. Netflix will begin testing the feature in Argentina, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras next month.
They need to rework their resolution and pricing strategy for single screen plans. I doubt in India ppl will be willing to pay separately for each additional household.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock