Seeking Help Need Suggestion for Jio Fiber

kumarvishwas

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I would be travelling to my native place soon and need high speed internet for office work and browsing Netflix and all on TV.

Presently my parents are using BSNL broadband which costs me around Rs.1200 and they just get the speeds of around 5 Mbps and most times it doesn't work.

Recently Jio Fiber and Airtel XStream both launched in my city, I was trying to get Airtel as have heard it is best currently in India due to synchronous Download/Upload speeds, not blocking much websites, giving promised speeds on LAN and wifi both and no downtimes, but sadly Airtel might not be available at my home as their nearest connection hub is around 2 Kms away from my location and they are not willing to expand it currently, still I have told me them that if they can install the connection it'll be good.

So with lose hopes I connected with Jio Fiber team and luckily they are providing connection to my home, I asked them about the Silver Plan(849pm), now need some confirmations from you guys

1) He told me that Installation charges would be Rs.2500(1500 refundable and another 1000 for installation and router), is this genuine?
2) He told me that they would promise speeds of 100 Mbps only on LAN and not on Wifi although the router provided would be dual band he mentioned, so anything to worry about, I don't want speeds to be 20-30 Mbps on Wifi even on sitting besides the router, facing the same issue on Hathway have taken 150 Mbps plan and speed on wifi is just 20-40 Mbps, I have seen Airtel XStream providing promised speeds of 100 Mbps/200Mbps etc on Wifi but not so sure about Jio, could you confirm the speeds that you get and are the Upload speeds really less?
3) What would the monthly data if I go for Monthly Plan or Semi Annual Plan(6 months), he told me that 600 GB would be provided every month meaning 3600 GB for 6 months, is this correct because there is some lockdown data of 200 GB included, what happens if lockdown is lifted, will this 600 GB remain for 6 months or would they reduce the data? and is there any way we can get more monthly data if we require like in Airtel we get 3333 GB data on topup of 299.
4) On going for half yearly/6 months plan, under benefits on Jio Website it mentions
Long Term Plan Benefits
Extra Data (50% Extra)
600 GB
or
One Extra Months

So if I take this extra data benefit, would this 600 GB be credited every month meaning total of 7200 GB for 6 months or is it complete 600 GB for 6 months(100 GB extra for every month)?

And also tell how is the overall service of Jio Fiber?

Last edited:
Black color router given by Jio Fiber wifi connectivity is very poor. It can't fully cover even single floor. My uncle is having it and i find it's connectivity very slow comparing to my TP Link C6 router.

Another major issue is Jio doesn't provide symmetrical download and upload speed.

Read this thread to learn what i am talking about: Discussion - Reliance Jio Fiber Upload speed capped, not parallel with Download speed

Jio Fiber pings are usually very high, so if you are into gaming you won't be getting a great experience.

Airtel Xstream Fiber is lot better comparing to Jio Fiber. But since it is not available at your location, you can go for Jio Fiber which is better alternative to BSNL.

Hi Guys,

I would be travelling to my native place soon and need high speed internet for office work and browsing Netflix and all on TV.

Presently my parents are using BSNL broadband which costs me around Rs.1200 and they just get the speeds of around 5 Mbps and most times it doesn't work.

Recently Jio Fiber and Airtel XStream both launched in my city, I was trying to get Airtel as have heard it is best currently in India due to synchronous Download/Upload speeds, not blocking much websites, giving promised speeds on LAN and wifi both and no downtimes, but sadly Airtel might not be available at my home as their nearest connection hub is around 2 Kms away from my location and they are not willing to expand it currently, still I have told me them that if they can install the connection it'll be good.

So with lose hopes I connected with Jio Fiber team and luckily they are providing connection to my home, I asked them about the Silver Plan(849pm), now need some confirmations from you guys

1) He told me that Installation charges would be Rs.2500(1500 refundable and another 1000 for installation and router), is this genuine?
2) He told me that they would promise speeds of 100 Mbps only on LAN and not on Wifi although the router provided would be dual band he mentioned, so anything to worry about, I don't want speeds to be 20-30 Mbps on Wifi even on sitting besides the router, facing the same issue on Hathway have taken 150 Mbps plan and speed on wifi is just 20-40 Mbps, I have seen Airtel XStream providing promised speeds of 100 Mbps/200Mbps etc on Wifi but not so sure about Jio, could you confirm the speeds that you get and are the Upload speeds really less?
3) What would the monthly data if I go for Monthly Plan or Semi Annual Plan(6 months), he told me that 600 GB would be provided every month meaning 3600 GB for 6 months, is this correct because there is some lockdown data of 200 GB included, what happens if lockdown is lifted, will this 600 GB remain for 6 months or would they reduce the data? and is there any way we can get more monthly data if we require like in Airtel we get 3333 GB data on topup of 299.
4) On going for half yearly/6 months plan, under benefits on Jio Website it mentions
Long Term Plan Benefits
Extra Data (50% Extra)
600 GB
or
One Extra Months

So if I take this extra data benefit, would this 600 GB be credited every month meaning total of 7200 GB for 6 months or is it complete 600 GB for 6 months(100 GB extra for every month)?

And also tell how is the overall service of Jio Fiber?
1) Instead of initiating the process directly with your local Jio provider, try to do it in the website. Meaning, whatever price the dealer quotes you after Jio intimates them, should most probably be genuine. Also inquire with Jio Fiber customer care beforehand, and confirm the pricing. By refundable, I believe they expect you to return the modem (and probably the STB too) whenever you plan to permanently stop using Jio Fiber.

1.a) Jio Fiber Registration Online for High Speed Internet - Jio

1.b) Jio Fiber Toll Free Customer Care:
1800 896 9999
After the call connects, once you select your preferred language, the IVR will ask you your Jio number. Just select your preferred language alone and wait. It will ask you your Jio number a couple of times, and if no answer is provided, it will automatically connect you to a CCE.

2) I have a dual band router (model JC0500). Wifi Speed is very good in the 5Ghz band (around 94mbps in the speedtest.net website's android app; silver plan). Speed will roughly be half of that in the 2.4Ghz band. But the 2.4Ghz has more Wi-Fi range (a distance of upto 3 rooms). The 5Ghz band covers only half that range.

Yep, the upload speeds are only 10% of the plan's promised download speed. I get around 9.5mbps in the speedtest app. But it doesn't really bother me. We use Jio only for streaming to our TV. There are no lags when streaming through the 5Ghz band. FYI though, our TV and modem are in the same room.

Also, there has not been any outage (touchwood 🤐) since we purchased the Jio modem an year ago. I would say, as long as we have an active plan and data balance, there should not be any fear of outages. Or at least that is the case in my place (Salem, Tamil Nadu).

3) I am in the Semi-Annual Silver Plan. My only reason for not opting the Annual Plan is that there are no differences in the benefits in comparison with the Semi-Annual plan, and I did not want to dump in advance with Jio, an additional Rs.6010.

All of the data benefits are easily manageable with the 'My Jio' app. There is a 'My Plans' section in the app, which clearly states the data used and the data remaining for every 30 day period. This 30 day period starts on the day you purchase/recharge your plan. So when you go for the Semi-Annual plan, the benefits are:

3.a) 200GB will be added (and automatically activated) to the My Plans section. This will be valid only for 30 days, post which any remaining data (out of the 200GB) will not be carried forward. After 30 days, the next 200GB will be automatically activated (they call this as monthly renewal), and so on until the end of 6 months.

3.b) Users opting for any Semi-Annual or Annual plan for the first time since they bought Jio, will get an additional, introductory offer data of 200GB/month for the "first 6 months alone". Meaning, users won't get this benefit when they recharge with the Semi-Annual or Annual plan again, if they had already done it once. For example, I was in the Semi-Annual Bronze plan earlier, for which I was provided an introductory benefit of additional 50GB per month. Because I have already gotten that, I did not get the introductory benefit of 200GB/month for the Semi-Annual Silver Plan this time.

3.c) Users also get an additional Coronavirus Lock-down benefit of 200GB/month, even if they are recharging with the Semi-Annual or the Annual plans for a second time.

Note:
Both 3.b and 3.c above, are provided in the form of vouchers that "do not expire if not redeemed". Meaning, there is a 'Vouchers' section in the app, and the vouchers will sit there quietly unless we redeem them, at which point they move to the My Plans section. I usually redeem them only after (or only if) I exhaust the regular monthly quota of 200GB.

Unlike the regular monthly quota of 200GB, any data balance from a redeemed voucher are carried forward. Meaning, for example, if you have used only 4OGB of a redeemed 200GB voucher, you can continue to use it (the remaining 160GB) whenever you need data beyond the regular monthly quota again.

Like I mentioned above earlier, the beauty of these vouchers is that they don't really seem to have an expiry date. Heck, I still have five 100GB vouchers (I already used one) that I got as a lock-down benefit for my Bronze plan. And now I got six 200GB lock-down benefit vouchers for the Silver plan.

4) In addition, users also get a Semi-Annual Plan Benefit. For this, the user has a choice to select between:

An additional 100GB/month (which I guess would be six 100GB vouchers; to answer your question, yep, extra 600GB for the whole 6 months, not 600GB for every month 😋)

Or

An additional validity of 1 month (30 days), with a regular quota of 200GB for that month.

This Semi-Annual Plan benefit too, comes in the form of a voucher. Users can opt for their desired benefit type (additional data or additional month) when they redeem this voucher. Usually I redeem this voucher as soon as I recharge the Semi-Annual plan. I have done it this time too. Now I have this voucher sitting in the My Plans section of the app, waiting to be activated. I will activate it after my initial 6 months come to a completion. It will act as my 7th month.

5) To answer your final question, I would say that the overall service of Jio Fiber is fine, considering:

5.a) The additional data benefits

5.b) The STB comes with a lot of benefits in comparison to Airtel. Lots of Live TV Channels. And free subscription to:

Sun Nxt Premium

Hotstar VIP (regional language programming alone; English content needs Premium subscription, which Jio does not provide free under any of its plans)

Zee5 Premium

SonyLIV Premium

Voot Select

Lionsgate Play (Hollywood movies) **

Jio Cinema

Jio Saavn

Jio Games

Alt Balaji **

EROS Now **

[ ** the content of these 3 apps are available only inside the JIO TV+ app in the Jio STB. They are not available as individual apps ]

P. S:
Amazon Prime subscription is included for Gold and other higher priced plans.

Good Luck & Welcome to Jio (Well, if you go for it 😀)

Thank You @Bapun and @Sivabhaskar bro😊

I have also heard that there is a glitch in Jio plans, many users on Youtube are reporting that after opting for 1 month Silver plan, from next month we can directly use Rs.199 add on plan alone and that would provide 4000 GB data for 28 days in Rs.936 wirh 100 Mbps that is more data than what is provided in Silver plan😂😂

Is this anyway possible?

Hey Guys, Just wanted to share that Airtel team did a surprise feasibility check at my home today and told me that they can install the XStream Fiber connection as they have some hub box in the adjoining building.....

Did the recharge for 6 months plan costing Rs.5234 although their website also mentions Rs.1000 as wiring charges but the technician asked me to make payment of just Rs.5234, lets see if they ask additional Rs.1K on installation time, but they told me that Landline service won't be available for another 2 months as they are still seeking some permissions from BSNL, I think they are providing connections through LCO in newly launched cities and using BSNL's Fiber Lines although they denied that, they told that Fiber Lines have been setup by Airtel itself through various contractors.

Would be getting dual band Nokia Router.

Although I feel Reliance Jio was providing more services than Airtel with more data but shady policies along with high pings, 1/10th upload speeds, various website blocking are kind of restrictive which nobody likes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock