Seeking Help Need Help for Windows Installation

Shabeer

Reaction score
I have a laptop with no CD Rom and no Hard drive (damaged Hard drive)
Dell - Core I3, 4GB Ram
I have windows 8.1 Installation CD and another good working laptop, and enough USB flash drives.
Can I make a bootable Usb and use another Usb as my hard drive?
If it is possible I don't want to spend money for buying hdd because this laptop will be used occasionally.
Add: I have 16gb usb 2.0 flash drive
And 32/64 gb usb 3.0 drive which I want to use as hard drive,

Last edited:
USB flash drives are too slow to use windows. You can create a bootable Linux and use it's live CD feature.
Other solution, if you've USB 3.0 drives then you can install Linux and use it or you can create Windows to go drive.

I have a laptop with no CD Rom and no Hard drive (damaged Hard drive)
Dell - Core I3, 4GB Ram
I have windows Installation CD and another good working laptop, and enough USB flash drives.
Can I make a bootable Usb and use another Usb as my hard drive?
If it is possible I don't want to spend money for buying hdd because this laptop will be used occasionally.
Bro if you have 8 gb or above gb pen drive then you will able to make bootable pen drive just put your windows dvd to working laptop and copy all file then put your pen drive in laptop and format it in ntfs format then paste your windows copy and you ready to boot

USB flash drives are too slow to use windows. You can create a bootable Linux and use it's live CD feature.
Other solution, if you've USB 3.0 drives then you can install Linux and use it or you can create Windows to go drive.
I have Usb 3.0 drive of 32 gb.
If need I can arrange 64gb usb 3.0 also.
The CD I have is windows 8.1
My main purpose will be using Ms Office.
Will it be slow on laptop or OK?
Can u pls explain more about Windows to go drive

Bro if you have 8 gb or above gb pen drive then you will able to make bootable pen drive just put your windows dvd to working laptop and copy all file then put your pen drive in laptop and format it in ntfs format then paste your windows copy and you ready to boot
I have 32 gb usb 3.0
But bro just copy paste from CD to usb will be ok? Before once I did we have to use special app for making bootable usb, or using command prompt.
I did it to this same laptop, but due to hard drive the laptop went hang.

I have 32 gb usb 3.0
But bro just copy paste from CD to usb will be ok? Before once I did we have to use special app for making bootable usb, or using command prompt.
I did it to this same laptop, but due to hard drive the laptop went hang.
Bro before copy format your flash drive in NTFS format . Then you dont need use command prompt.

Meanwhile, Is it also possible that I do every arrangement in my good working laptop, copy the OS into the usb, and connect this usb to my destination laptop ready to plug and play...? Like a portable OS...
Either windows or linux

The CD I have is windows 8.1
For that you'll need Windows 8.1 enterprise edition. Go to control panel find "Windows to go" insert pendrive and follow the instructions.
Meanwhile, Is it also possible that I do every arrangement in my good working laptop, copy the OS into the usb, and connect this usb to my destination laptop ready to plug and play...? Like a portable OS...
Either windows or linux
Yes, you can use your working laptop to install Linux on your pendrive. It'll work. I've installed Ubuntu on 16GB USB 3.0 pendrive.

For that, you'll need 3.0 pendrive (Preferred 16 GB and above) another pendrive or blank DVD.
Download Ubuntu or any other linux ISO.
If you're using pendrive to create installer media then use Rufus and create a bootable media. If you're using DVD then, burn disk image to DVD.
After that, insert both: installation media (either DVD or pendrive) and pendrive (Linux will be installed).

When installing linux make sure to select the drive where you want to install (Pendrive it'll be listed) and also install the linux boot files on pendrive (imp).

PS: You can check this software: Best Free Windows To Go Creator Wizard Helps Create Portable Windows 10/8/7!
Free version may be very limited

Last edited:
use light weight linux as Live CD . Whenever you need computer just connect the USB and boot from there. You will have fully working computer

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock