Lakshmipathy Balaji calls time on first-class career

• Thread starter Thread starter rahul1117kumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 1
  • Views Views: Views 504
Reaction score
Lakshmipathy Balaji, the Tamil Nadu seamer, has called time on his first-class career, The Hindu reported on Thursday (September 15). Balaji, who is currently playing for the TUTI Patriots in the inaugural Tamil Nadu Premier League, will continue to play in T20 leagues like IPL and TNPL.

"I have to move on, have a young family now. I have given it all during my 16 years as a first-class cricketer. I will be playing in the shorter forms of the game in competitions such as the TNPL and IPL," he told The Hindu. "I want to thank the TNCA and all those cricketers and coaches who guided me."

The 34-year-old, who debuted against New Zealand in 2003, made a mark during India's tour of Pakistan the following year. He picked up seven wickets in the final Test including that of the legendary Inzamam-ul-Haq to help India win the series 2-1. "It was a late outswinger, Inzamam nicked it and I would never forget that moment. We won the Test and the series, for the first time in Pakistan," he said.

Often sidelined due to severe injuries, the right-arm seamer managed to pull himself up in order to make a comeback by taking inspiration from current Indian head coach Anil Kumble. "I would ask myself how Kumble would deal with it. Then I would get my answer," he remarked. "I had come back from an injury (in Mohali) and bowled with a remodelled action. I was generating good pace and took out Younis Khan with a mean one."

Balaji came into reckoning way back in 2001/02, when he impressed all on his Tamil Nadu debut against Colombo District Cricket Association XI. Just a year later, a call-up to the national team came but his was a career blighted by constant spells away from the pitch. He featured in eight Tests and 30 ODIs for India, picking up 27 and 34 wickets respectively. For Tamil Nadu, he has played 106 first class matches for his 330 wickets.

http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/82661/lakshmipathy-balaji-calls-time-on-first-class-career

Back
Top Bottom