Karen Rolton inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Karen Rolton, the former Australian Women's team captain, was inducted into the International Cricket Council's (ICC) Hall of Fame during the third Test between Australia and South Africa at Adelaide on Thursday (November 24).

Dave Richardson, the ICC Chief Executive Officer, presented Rolton with a personalized cap during the tea break. The 42-year-old became the 81st player to be inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame and sixth women to receive the accolade.

"It's with great honour that I accept this award of being inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame. To be acknowledged like this is something that I never expected and am truly grateful to be listed amongst some of my all-time cricketing heroes," said an elated Rolton. "Cricket has been a part of my life since I can remember. From growing up in Adelaide and playing backyard cricket with my brother to captaining my state and country. It's been a childhood dream and one that I'm grateful for.

"I'd like to thank Cricket Australia, my team-mates over the years and most importantly my parents for supporting me playing cricket as a junior and right until the end of my career.

"Finally, thank you to the ICC for inducting me into the Hall of Fame and your ongoing support of women's cricket."

Rolton holds some prestigious records, none more so than being the highest run-getter (1002) for Australia in Tests. She also amassed 4814 One-Day International (ODI) runs, second only to Belinda Clark. Rolton was the first player to win the ICC Women's Player of the Year in 2006.

Rolton made her ODI debut against New Zealand in 1995 and hit the headlines when she slammed a 67-ball 107 against South Africa in the World Cup in 2000 in Lincoln. She reached her century off 57 balls, which turned out to be the fastest ODI century. She was part of two Ashes winning teams before she was handed the captaincy in 2006. Rolton led the team to a 3-0 win over India in her first assignment in ODIs.

In Tests, Rolton holds the record of the third-highest individual score in Tests when she accumulated an unbeaten 209 against England in Leeds in 2001 only behind Kiran Baluch (242) and Mithali Raj (214).

While she dominated with the bat, she was a more than handy medium pacer, picking up 85 wickets in ODIs and 14 wickets in Tests.

Karen Rolton inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame - Cricbuzz

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock