OTF Exclusive JioPhone production put on hold

Jithin91

Contributor
Reaction score
Ambani eyes new Android-based phone to take on Airtel, Vodafone; JioPhone production put on hold

Reliance Jio, the fastest growing phone services company in the world, has stopped production of the current crop of JioPhones and is in talks to bring out an Android-based phone, three sources have confirmed. Currently, the JioPhone runs on KaiOS, an operating system that is a version of the Firefox OS. Jio, which counts over 100 million customers, seems to be having a rethink of its strategy of developing applications and offering services on this OS platform.

The three sources for this story include a person close to Jio, an executive at a rival operator, and a company insider.
There are not enough apps compatible with KaiOS but people are working on developing special versions for the JioPhone. Jio has bundled all Jio apps – from cinema to Live television to music to education and chat – into the JioPhone. “But that is not enough for its success. It’s not that the target is changing… but a walled garden approach doesn’t work in mobile phones, it hasn’t worked in the past and it will not work in the future

Negotiations are on with Google to bring down the royalty for Android, this source said.

JioPhone production put on hold; Ambani eyes new Android phone

Isn't Android free? I didn't know that they demand royalty.

Till now other operators are trying to take on Jio, but now Jio thinks to take on others...:ouch:

edited

Last edited:
I think bringing affordable 4g feature phones backfired jio big time...the phone is good for nothing...I'm feeling pity for those who bought the handset..

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock