Seeking Help Jio Postpaid Family plan onboarding process

Prithi Deb

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am planning on moving myself and my family to Jio Postpaid Plan with Family Add-On.
There are a total of 4 prepaid sims. 2 Vi, 1 Jio and 1 Airtel. Now I want to move all sims under one Jio Postpaid Family plan.
I am assuming I have to individually convert all of them to Jio Postpaid first.
So, now I want to know if there is a way to convert all sims to Jio Postpaid and add them to Family on first billing month itself? Or after porting/converting, all numbers will have to be on a random postpaid plan (say ₹299) for the first month + the security deposit?
Paying for the first month and security deposit for all sims will be really expensive. Is there a way to avoid all that?

Note: Jio Postpaid is not my final decision. I might consider Airtel Postpaid as well, if the onboarding process in easier. So do share your opinion on both.

No you don’t need to do individual deposits
Raise a postpaid request from Vi or airtel sim which helps you get deposit wavier and first month free if u use jio as primary sim both need to paid
And each sim requires 99 prime free that’s it deposit waived off mostly for other operator sim and first month will be free for all
Raise request when agent reaches ask him for family postpaid that’s it there is no need to stay in individual plan for first month

Airtel same process but no first month free
No deposit for even airtel sims there

No you don’t need to do individual deposits
Raise a postpaid request from Vi or airtel sim which helps you get deposit wavier and first month free if u use jio as primary sim both need to paid
And each sim requires 99 prime free that’s it deposit waived off mostly for other operator sim and first month will be free for all
Raise request when agent reaches ask him for family postpaid that’s it there is no need to stay in individual plan for first month

Airtel same process but no first month free
No deposit for even airtel sims there
So in short, I just have to pay ₹99/sim and the rest will be taken care of by the agent. Am I right?

But I still don't understand how the deposit is getting waived off.
If I convert a Jio Prepaid sim to Postpaid, then I have to pay the security deposit. And if I convert any other operator prepaid sim to Jio Postpaid, then no security deposit. This is what you are saying right? But Jio website says only people porting from "postpaid" sims of other operators get a security deposit waiver. All my sims are prepaid. So, I guess no security deposit waiver for me.

Last edited:
So in short, I just have to pay ₹99/sim and the rest will be taken care of by the agent. Am I right?

If I convert a Jio Prepaid sim to Postpaid, then I have to pay the security deposit. And if I convert any other operator prepaid sim to Jio Postpaid, then no security deposit. This is what you are saying right? But Jio website says only people porting from "postpaid" sims of other operators get a security deposit waiver. All my sims are prepaid. So, I guess no security deposit waiver for me.
Jio agent scans your ID card and the system checks your cibil report at that time. If you have a healthy credit score security deposit for postpaid will be waived off. You will only be charged ₹99/- as processing fee.

Convert your Jio Prepaid to Postpaid and inform the agent to activate Family plan. You'll be charged only for the plan you opted + GST.

Meanwhile convert your other operator sims to jio and once activated they can be added to your parent sim and then for every addition you'll be charged ₹99/- + GST per sim. The limit for add-on sims would be based on the plan you opted!

The process is same for airtel as well... If it's a prepaid to postpaid conversion they'll waive off security deposit too. Just choose based on signal availability in your locality.

As per my observation, In postpaid segment Airtel family plans are far superior and worth the money we pay, when compared to Jio or any other operator!

Last edited:
Jio agent scans your ID card and the system checks your cibil report at that time. If you have a healthy credit score security deposit for postpaid will be waived off. You will only be charged ₹99/- as processing fee.

Convert your Jio Prepaid to Postpaid and inform the agent to activate Family plan. You'll be charged only for the plan you opted + GST.

Meanwhile convert your other operator sims to jio and once activated they can be added to your parent sim and then for every addition you'll be charged ₹99/- + GST per sim. The limit for add-on sims would be based on the plan you opted!

The process is same for airtel as well... If it's a prepaid to postpaid conversion they'll waive off security deposit too. Just choose based on signal availability in your locality.

As per my observation, In postpaid segment Airtel family plans are far superior and worth the money we pay, when compared to Jio or any other operator!
I feel Airtel postpaid plans are inferior when it comes to Data assigned, no of OTT services given and in general zero CC compared to Jio.

It’s simply based on cibil score
But I suggest you to use primary number from other operator if u are choosing jio postpaid
U will get first month free and 99 percent chance deposit waiver

Airtel mostly doesn’t charge security deposit whatever u are doing prepaid to postpaid or porting

Thank you for all your replies.

Couple of more questions:

Do the additional sims get a maximum of only 5 GB data per month, or we can assign them additional data from the Primary/Parent data pool?

Can we buy extra data after exhaustion? I don't want to pay ₹10/GB.

Also, I just realised they have now removed the data rollover service in the new Jio Plus plans. That's one of the major selling points of Postpaid. And one of the main reasons of me considering postpaid.

Do the additional sims get a maximum of only 5 GB data per month, or we can assign them additional data from the Primary/Parent data pool?

Also, I just realised they have now removed the data rollover service in the new Jio Plus plans. That's one of the major selling points of Postpaid. And one of the main reasons of me considering postpaid.
  1. We can assign data from primary data pool. I don`t think there is any criteria of 5GB data.
  2. Yes. Addons can be purchased if data is exhausted.
  3. Data rollover is still there. Its happening for me.

You can’t assign any data in Jio postpaid plus plans all the data including 5g per sim is also added as pool and everybody can use them u can’t restrict that

Yes u can do that

Jio postpaid plus plans don’t have data roll over
If u want that it is best to choose airtel
If u have doubt about that u can ask jio reps.
But I am pretty there is no data roll over in jio postpaid plus

Jio: Every add-on sim gives you 5 GB data.
Airtel: Every add-on sim gives you 30 GB data.

Yup, Data boosters would be available to buy in case of data exhaust.

Jio @ ₹996/- (₹699 plan + 99 + 99 + 99) + GST gives you 115 GB of pool data per month + Jio TV + Jio Cinema (No Premium though) + Netflix Basic (every month) and APV (for 1 Yr.). As far as I remember there is no data roll over on Jio plans. Check with the agent!

Airtel @ ₹999/- + GST gives you 190 GB pool data per month + Data roll over upto 200 GB + Wynk Music + UL Hello Tunes + APV (for 6 Months) + D+H Mobile (for 1 Yr.).

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock