Discussion Jio never deactivates numbers or do they!? Marketing gimmick to show increase in subscriber base

• Thread starter Sarkar
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 16
  • Views: Views 1,903
Nothing but over hyped crap. But if such speeds bother you why not get a wired connection?

I travel a lot in different states for business so hardly stay 7 days in a month at home so wired is not a soln for me.

If we all are getting same treatment then i am wondering who are these 8 million people rushing to join Jio. I am only using Jio as JioFi does not accept other SIM otherwise i would have thrown my 2 jio sim in river.

Jio gains 8 million new subscribers in April, Vodafone-Idea still lead the market

They gained 8 million but what is their active subscriber base ? They are counting inactive subscribers also. Remember at the time of launch many people bought more than 3 sim cards. They have many inactive customers. This are all just gimmick to fool us that their network is used by so many customers. If they reveal their inactive subscribers count it will show their true picture of their total actual subscriber base.

For example : If they have 300 Million user base there would be millions of users who trashed their sim cards long ago.

Last edited:
They are counting inactive subscribers also. Remember at the time of launch many people bought more than 3 sim cards. They have many inactive customers. This are all just gimmick to fool us that their network is used by so many customers. If they reveal their inactive subscribers count it will show their true picture.
That correct they never seem to deactivate any number, I had a Jio sim which is I smashed more than a year ago, still I am able to see that number on MyJio app and Jio occasionally sends notification to recharge on Email ID

If not deactivate all numbers from their side, Jio should atleast give an user-selectable option to deactivate option - 3 or 6 month grace period and then giveaway the number to a new customer. This is what i don't like of Jio. Once you taken a number, it will stick to you forever for Jio's subscriber count benefit.

If not deactivate all numbers from their side, Jio should atleast give an user-selectable option to deactivate option - 3 or 6 month grace period and then giveaway the number to a new customer. This is what i don't like of Jio. Once you taken a number, it will stick to you forever for Jio's subscriber count benefit.
Off topic : We should be able change numbers in India like in US.

Remember they aren't talking about overall subscriber count. The article says they gained 8m subscribers in April month alone. And it's mainly due to the fact that Airtel and VF have introduced the mandatory minimum recharge packs.

Think about the lower middle class, lower class and BPL people. Their mindset would be like, "instead of spending rs.35 for nothing i can spend rs.49 for unlimited calls"

We need to relate this spike in subscriber base with the fact that the Jio phone was the best selling feature phone in the Q4 of 2018 and also Q1 of 2019. There's still a huge customer base of around 400m in feature phone market, and i wouldn't be surprised if they move to jio in coming days because of this ridiculous "mandatory recharge" fiasco

Remember they aren't talking about overall subscriber count. The article says they gained 8m subscribers in April month alone. And it's mainly due to the fact that Airtel and VF have introduced the mandatory minimum recharge packs.

Think about the lower middle class, lower class and BPL people. Their mindset would be like, "instead of spending rs.35 for nothing i can spend rs.49 for unlimited calls"

We need to relate this spike in subscriber base with the fact that the Jio phone was the best selling feature phone in the Q4 of 2018 and also Q1 of 2019. There's still a huge customer base of around 400m in feature phone market, and i wouldn't be surprised if they move to jio in coming days because of this ridiculous "mandatory recharge" fiasco
Lower middle class won't easily shell out ₹1500 for a new handset. I can see lots of users including myself going for those ₹120 plans for calling and sms purposes.

They gained 8 million but what is their active subscriber base ? They are counting inactive subscribers also. Remember at the time of launch many people bought more than 3 sim cards. They have many inactive customers. This are all just gimmick to fool us that their network is used by so many customers. If they reveal their inactive subscribers count it will show their true picture of their total actual subscriber base.

For example : If they have 300 Million user base there would be millions of users who trashed their sim cards long ago.
Jio's overall subscriber base as of April is 315 million out of which active subscriber base is 265 million and 50 million subscribers are inactive which translates to 84% VLR (Visitor location register). In comparison Airtel has overall user base of 322 million and active subscriber base of 324 million (2 million extra since Tata Docomo subscribers are using Airtel network but not included in Airtel official subscriber figures as of April), which pegs Airtel's VLR to higher than 100%. Vodafone Idea's combined overall subscriber base as of April was 393 million of which 342 million were active while 51 million were inactive, taking its VLR to 87%. Just to put things in clear perspective and easy comparison between the private operators figures :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock