Jio facing backlash on social media after increasing their tariffs

• Thread starter Thread starter Vicky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 17
  • Views Views: Views 1,125
Yes, start with that. I asked sabji wala price of a banana. He wanted ₹10 for one. No one's trending that. When prices of mobile data which is equivalent to cigarettes and alcohol these days is hiked. Everyone's crying. Even Amul Milk Gold cost ₹33 these days.

In short words, Jio is only doing business profile in providing extra data in free earlier to earn more subscribers in voice and calls. Frm july, they are taking back their free goodies as pricing plans are increased so much to gain more ARPU. Earlier july, they also announced entering in Jio Financial will launch IPO and own Jio bank physically or digitally in all over rest parts of India in coming years.

People are just making commotion on social media, thinking that the private telcos will get scared of their empty threats to port to BSNL and roll back the tariff hike.
Even though around 2.5 lac subscribers have actually ported since the tariff hike this is only a miniscule churn. Even some of these subscribers will consider porting back after the 90 days lock in period.
Subscribers know the difference in quality of service between private operators and BSNL and even after the tariff hike the 2 GB per day with unlimited 5G plans can be bought at price of around ₹10/day on pvt operators if subscribing to long duration packs.
Yes BSNL is on the right path with respect to partnering with Tata for Pan India 4G rollout and eventual transition to 5G but that is a long drawn process and subscribers who were accustomed to ultra high speed low latency data network and superior HD quality voice calls will find it really difficult to put up with going to the window or terrace or street to be able to use BSNL network.

Jio and other pvt operators are here for business and to get good returns on investment for their shareholders and building futuristic high capacity network requires capital expenditure which is naturally going to be raised through consumer tariffs. They have hiked their rates after 3 years and that too after Pan India 5G rollout so it's not unjustified.

People are just making commotion on social media, thinking that the private telcos will get scared of their empty threats to port to BSNL and roll back the tariff hike.
Even though around 2.5 lac subscribers have actually ported since the tariff hike this is only a miniscule churn. Even some of these subscribers will consider porting back after the 90 days lock in period.
Subscribers know the difference in quality of service between private operators and BSNL and even after the tariff hike the 2 GB per day with unlimited 5G plans can be bought at price of around ₹10/day on pvt operators if subscribing to long duration packs.
Yes BSNL is on the right path with respect to partnering with Tata for Pan India 4G rollout and eventual transition to 5G but that is a long drawn process and subscribers who were accustomed to ultra high speed low latency data network and superior HD quality voice calls will find it really difficult to put up with going to the window or terrace or street to be able to use BSNL network.

Jio and other pvt operators are here for business and to get good returns on investment for their shareholders and building futuristic high capacity network requires capital expenditure which is naturally going to be raised through consumer tariffs. They have hiked their rates after 3 years and that too after Pan India 5G rollout so it's not unjustified.
I agree with you.. but dual SIM users will still port their secondary sim to BSNL to reduce the monthly budget, by choosing JIO or Airtel for 5g data and BSNL for calls only.

We should see some portion of migration to BSNL after official 4g Pan India launch..

I have stopped recharging 3 jio number in my family since these were secondary sims
Best part about Jio is that, they never forced user to perform incoming validity recharge. And, that's why I prefer Jio over any other company including BSNL.
Even some of these subscribers will consider porting back after the 90 days lock in period.
True. Justification is necessary even oldies are very perticular about speed and connectivity. They don't give damn to video quality but, it shouldn't buffer. So, a good 3G/H+ would be fine.
P.S : Yesterday, my granny asked me to perform yearly recharge on her smartphone. She said, I don't care about how much it take just perform yearly recharge. I added one more sim to her smartphone which of BSNL 4G. I was surprised to see the full strength network with H+ sign on top, which was not possible in Nov 2022 at her location which is 3km from my house. The videos were running smoothly and she was happy again. And, I did speed test in my phone before inserting sim to her phone it shows 2.5-2.8 Mbps 3G network speed.

I'll see the network when she goes to my maternal village which definately has BSNL (as checked on Tarang Sanchar) but, poor network in Nov 2022. If good strength would be there, I'll port her primary sim which is of Jio to BSNL.
Third use case was for people who travel constantly and in certain remote locations where private operators don't have coverage only BSNL 2G is available, this will continue for a few more years.
Govt will not allow private players to deploy towers in remote areas including neighbouring borders because, of security concern. So, BSNL will exclusive for that.
Whereas, I would personally recommend buying tour sim (use and throw) instead of carrying secondary sim for 'life'.

Last edited:
dual SIM users will still port their secondary sim to BSNL to reduce the monthly budget
Yes this is a possibility, though most users had Jio or Airtel as the primary number and Vi as secondary for the night time unlimited data, so the churn due to porting will affect Vi more than Jio and Airtel since Vi doesn't have 5G whereas the other two are offering unlimited 5G on higher denomination plans.

I have stopped recharging 3 jio number in my family since these were secondary sims
This is a very real occurrence, most people who don't have much use of secondary sims will just decide to close those connections and we will move towards a single sim market. Earlier people needed 2 sims, one for data other for calling but now all operators are providing bundled services so this use case is gone. Other reason was to have one for personal use and other for professional, this can't be substituted so corporate companies can just shift their bulk subscriber base from one operator to another. Third use case was for people who travel constantly and in certain remote locations where private operators don't have coverage only BSNL 2G is available, this will continue for a few more years.

Best part about Jio is that, they never forced user to perform incoming validity recharge. And, that's why I prefer Jio over any other company including BSNL.
What is your definition of force to recharge?

Jio's dedicated recharge reminder team keep calling as soon as recharge is ended and in some worse cases they threaten people that if recharge not done, they will disconnect the number.

Check this:

Alright Jio is facing backlash, what next, how many are going to switch over to BSNL, what about BSNL network, There's a hype that Tata is getting into partnership with BSNL, is it going to be affective in the immediate future?
Importantly, Airtel and VI have hiked prices as well, affective from the same day, theirs same to same packs are still costlier than Jio, so why aren't they facing that Backlash?
Is the price hike taken as an opportunity to target Jio?

Back
Top Bottom