Discussion Is there a surge in price of mustard oil in the lockdown?

• Thread starter iDJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 20
  • Views: Views 1,455

Is there a sudden surge in prices of mustard oil?

• Total voters

iDJ

Elite
Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Today I was checking prices with local retailers with prices of that of e-commerce sites as I was shocked to see the difference in pricing of mustard oil. I see a difference of atleast ₹30-40 in 1 litre packets. The packets which were available for ₹149 are now being charged ₹189. I bought a half litre packet for puja purposes which costed me ₹89 which is way too much. A year ago same would cost around ₹65. What's the factor behind so much surge in the price out of nowhere?

Is there a surge in prices of oil at your place?

Yes, this is true. There is a huge increase in oil prices. We noticed this when we went for groceries last week. Sunflower Oil and Ricebran Oil prices have increased exponentially compared to our last visit. Even Dal prices have increased tremendously. I don't know if it's related to the pandemic or something else.

It's a basic demand supply problem the supply of essential items has decreased while the demand has been increasing.
The oil, spices and lentils is a labor and transport intensive market, there are shortage of people working while the mills are not working at full capacity if any are working.

The price of 1 L of mustard oil has touched 200 Rs mark in my city.

may be due to restrictions or low production the prices have indeed increased of even Sun flower oil 1L Rs 200 to 250+ , even Mustard Oil reached Rs 200 fr 1 litre even same fr gingelly oil and pulses. Earlier people used to buy 5 litre pack of oil now in forced to buy 3 litre pack or only 1 litre packs. Hope the increase in price do reach to those farmers or else sadly it might end up only reaching to companies.
According one news article due to WFH people are staying home they prefer to eat dishes their fav oil (Mustard oil etc) which has led to more demand and there was low production of mustard & other as well it seems. pre covid time people when they worked outside home they didnt had any preference they ate or adjusted with dish made with any oil in hotel or kitchens.

Hospitality & restaurant decided not to increase price of food as they dont want to lose the remaining customer amid low demand . they want to retain the existing customers so they decided to not increase the prices for now.

One of the greatest achievements of Modi ji's regime has been that even though the prices of Petrol/Diesel/Gas have been touching new highs everyday,we rarely hear people talk about it.It's almost as if people have accepted this as their fate.Just over 20 yrs back,Vajpayee ji lost elections on rising onion prices and yet now unless some buffoon from govt. opens his/her garbage pit to justify the sky high prices we rarely see any discussion on it. :)
Offtopic: Bought mustard oil offline for ₹225 today morning. This government is making us wait for Big Billion Days sale to buy edible oils, lol. Leave petrol and diesel.

Offtopic: Bought mustard oil offline for ₹225 today morning. This government is making us wait for Big Billion Days sale to buy edible oils, lol. Leave petrol and diesel.
Is it edible items comes under big billon day 🤣🤔

They can actually offer it. If they got old stock. Regular price itself will be a discounted price.
Good going country situation people are ready to take old stock in discounted price after some years people are ready to take expired food at low cost #AcheDin 😤

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock